Oct

Previous Naked Money Grabs Considered Insufficient

I'm too tired to photoshop blood or fire onto this.  Use your imagination.

I'm too tired to photoshop blood or fire onto this. Use your imagination.

I held off on posting this yesterday because it’s a rumor I really didn’t want to be true, but Simpsons Channel says it’s happening (there’s already box art) so I guess it’s time to move on to Stage 2: Anger.  Season fucking 20 is heading to an optical drive near you this year, as in before Christmas.  And just a few months after I thought I was done with 20 for a long time.  Anyway, they’re using the fact that some of Season 20 was broadcast in HD as an excuse to release this simultaneously on both DVD and Blu-ray.

Hey, I think I just skipped Fear and went straight to Bargaining.  Check this out: FOX is passing over Seasons 13-19, right?  And they’ve got to know that getting a show out on home video before it goes off the air forever is a profitable move, right?  Strike while your iron is hot, and all that.  So maybe they’ve got an end date in mind for Zombie Simpsons (please!) and they’re speeding things up to try and get as many seasons out as possible before they pull the plug and start broadcasting Seth MacFarlane Reads the Phonebook at 8:00pm on Sundays.

Or they just want to start selling shit on Blu-ray.  Hmmm, maybe I’m still in Stage 1.

7 Responses to “Previous Naked Money Grabs Considered Insufficient”

1. 9 October 2009 at 1:47 am

Season 20 already coming out on DVD? Geez, that’s quick. Maybe the production crew recorded their audio commentaries before the episodes even aired (so as to avoid having to address any criticisms from fans/viewers about the episodes).

2. 9 October 2009 at 2:59 am

Maybe they’re leaving out audio commentaries?

3. 3 Charlie Sweatpants
    9 October 2009 at 7:02 am

It would certainly save me a lot of grief if they left out the commentaries, and while there aren’t a lot of details on the Amazon page, I doubt it. My understanding is that most contemporary shows record commentary more or less during production and it wouldn’t be hard for them to apply that to Zombie Simpsons. Come to think of it, it was right around when Seasons 12/13 were on the air that teevee shows began getting released on DVD. Maybe they started recording commentaries during that time and they’ve already got them in the can for most of the double digit seasons? Nah.

4. 4 Celia
    9 October 2009 at 1:38 pm

It has been so long that the corpse is no longer stinking and is now just dust. A perfect time to get it out and show it to people.

5. 5 P. Piggly Hogswine
    9 October 2009 at 8:52 pm

Charlie, you do such a great job here along with Dave and Jon, I think it’s only right that us loyal followers pitch in to buy you all this box set as gratitude for the hard work you do. Or will that lead to our instant bannings and banishment to Garbage Island? :)

6. 6 Charlie Sweatpants
    9 October 2009 at 9:51 pm

Speaking for my fellow Stonecutters, we must decline. ‘Tis wrong to spend money in support of Zombie Simpsons. All that Season 12 DVD stuff? Netflix. FOX didn’t see one penny from us for propping up the lifeless corpse of our favorite television show.

All we ask is that you spread the word. Tell your Simpsons loving friends that this is a place for people who don’t confuse Zombie Simpsons for the real deal. Give our address to anyone you know who stopped watching years ago. Join the conspiracy.

7. 10 October 2009 at 2:50 am

“My understanding is that most contemporary shows record commentary more or less during production and it wouldn’t be hard for them to apply that to Zombie Simpsons.”

When it comes to audio commentaries for TV shows and movies, in my experience, the better commentaries generally are the ones recorded after sufficient time (i.e. years) has elapsed since production. Much more to say in hindsight. The commentaries for the earlier years of “The Simpsons” were great for that reason (although the fact that the episodes and the commentators themselves were of a better vintage had something to do with it too). I can’t imagine anything as deathly dull as Al Jean and friends crapping on about season 20 episodes right around the time they were made.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 418 other followers