Sep

Season 15 DVD Announcement

The Otto Show12

“Otto!” – Bart Simpson
“That’s what my driver’s license says!” – Otto

We got an e-mail from one of FOX’s hip, edgy Web 2.0 marketing firms announcing some upcoming home video releases, including Season 15 on December 4th.  This being a press release, there is very little interesting information contained within.  In fact, there’s no text at all about Zombie Simpsons, just two images, one a cover mockup with Otto on the front, the other a recycled idea:

Season 15 DVD

Based on this, it’s a standard release with all the usual home video bells and whistles: audio commentary (ugh), deleted scenes, and sketches.  I’m slightly curious to see “The Commercials” on there, but since it’s Season 15, I don’t actually care either.

As a bonus, we can see that not only are they now cribbing from The Simpsons for their marketing materials, but there are also now “Blu-ray Bonus Episodes” (which I don’t think were on earlier seasons).  Basically, FOX likes the premium they can charge for Blu-Ray* but is hampered by the fact that Zombie Simpsons didn’t get to HD until Season 20, so to get you to pay the extra $10 (or whatever), they’ve included one episode each from Season 3, Season 9 and Season 11.  It’s hard to imagine that there are all that many people out there who are interested in Season 15 and who don’t already own the previous seasons, but they stopped putting a lot of thought into these releases a long time ago.

Also, check out how much better the Otto drawing from “The Otto Show” is than the promotional one.  His cap is more disheveled, his headphones are on crooked, his teeth aren’t uniform, even his eyes look crazier and dumber.  Once again, the older animation has much more personality.

*Humble suggestion that I would buy in a heartbeat:

• Season 1-8 box set
  • One Season per Blu-Ray disc
  • Best possible resolution from the existing master copies

I’d easily spend $100 on that, and I don’t think I’d be alone.

16 Responses to “Season 15 DVD Announcement”

1. 1 abra cadaver
    11 September 2012 at 10:29 am

Wow, thanks for this info. Looks terrible!

I really thought (or was just hoping) they’d just kinda … you know … STOP … releasing Simpsons box sets… I mean, was season 14 really a best seller or something? I kinda doubt it.

I, too, am curious about “the commercials”, though in all reality they’re probably just season 15-era shill ads for some stupid bullshit, or just promos for the episodes themselves (which are always dumb). What’s sad is they still have a wealth of material they have never put on dvd — all the tracey ullman shorts, some behind-the-scenes and unreleased animated material like all the stuff from the Oprah Winfrey special on the Simpsons, that UK Simpsons doc from a while back that I believe was just called Simpsons: Live… or that Superbowl ad… hell, how about the doc MATT GROENING: MY WASTED LIFE as a bonus? — that would probably get me interested enough to get the set, in spite of most of the dvd’s being zombified. Sad but true. Either way, it doesn’t look like any of that will ever “officially” come out so there’s really no reason to bother with that bullshit.

….I do find it funny that FOX got ahold of Dead Homer Society to PROMOTE a Zombie Simpsons product, though.

2. 11 September 2012 at 11:33 am

So is it just me or does it look like the season 15 Otto’s tongue is protruding over his top teeth?

• 11 September 2012 at 11:47 am

It doesn’t just look that way, it is that way. Good catch! And why didn’t the people paid to draw or the people who should be editing it or the people doing the press see that…?

3. 4 Al Gore Doll
    11 September 2012 at 11:58 am

Where is the market for this? Honestly?

4. 5 Chris
    11 September 2012 at 3:36 pm

God, the old animation just blows the doors off of any newer animation. So much more interesting, and with much more character. All you need to know about Otto is right in that picture. The second one, with all of the straight lines, tells nothing, except he may be a homicidal maniac. It’s funny too, because my first reaction, without reading your comments, was about how much better the first picture is than the second. That second one is bo-ring.

• 6 D.N.
      11 September 2012 at 6:11 pm

The second picture looks like Otto is merely sticking his tongue out.

The first picture looks like Otto is legitmately stoned.

• 7 abra cadaver
        11 September 2012 at 11:02 pm

What’s the deal with the constant fucking “weirdly placed shadows”, like on Zombie Otto’s face there.. looks terrible.

• 8 Anonymous
          14 September 2012 at 9:14 am

Everyone took the words out of my mouth but why does the updated drivers licence have to make otto look perfect for a photo ID???

5. 9 colonelcoward
    11 September 2012 at 4:54 pm

The sad thing is, a lot of people would probably say the second picture is “better” just because it’s crisper and higher-quality.

6. 10 Bartist
    11 September 2012 at 5:42 pm

Oh, yes, regurgitate the Mad Marge episode to get people running out to buy the DVD! LOL!

7. 12 September 2012 at 5:20 am

Ha. According to the first license, Otto is 50 next year. Oh god.

8. 12 September 2012 at 11:29 am

Didn’t that Homer Simpson MasterCard commercial premiere during Season 15? I bet that’ll be on there.

This’ll be the first DVD set I don’t buy. I’ve been keeping up with Mike’s blog, and as he rips Season 15 a new one, I’m constantly reminded of how outright terrible this season is. And since I’ve lost faith in the commentaries, as it’s now blatantly obvious they have nothing interesting to say anymore, I’ve got no more incentive to continue collecting the show.

• 14 Anonymous
      14 September 2012 at 9:16 am

I’m surprised you went that far into ZS really (i’m just getting seasons 1-9) and what’s the link to Mike’s blog i wanna see this? :D

9. 15 Victor Dang
    12 September 2012 at 11:50 am

I’ll admit, the Blu-ray Bonus Episodes seem pretty interesting to me, but not enough for me to go out and buy them. I can’t wait for these bonus features to premiere on the latest torrent tracker site in HD H.264.

10. 16 Zartok-35
    14 September 2012 at 1:49 am

Yeah, I’m probably gonna buy this. The Jon Vitti-written episodes in this season are making me act unusual.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 419 other followers