Oct

Free Range Children

“Easy there, young man, you’ll only make yourself tired and stringy.  Now, to check on the free range children.” – Principal Skinner

1. 1 Shane
    12 October 2012 at 7:20 am

That’s a great animation pose on Martin there. Helps the joke work even better than it does on paper.

• 2 Charlie Sweatpants
      12 October 2012 at 10:35 am

There were several of them from which to choose. I’d never gone through that scene frame by frame before, but Martin’s reactions are all great.

• 3 D.N.
        12 October 2012 at 10:47 pm

I remember yonks ago, in my high school days, when many of us didn’t have the internet at home, I’d spend a few lunchtimes in the school library, looking up stuff online. It was then and there that I discovered alt.tv.simpsons – and I recall being quite shocked by the harsh reviews and ratings dealt out for really great episodes (in hindsight, it’s even more shocking, because in the pre-Zombie days, those hapless people didn’t know what a GENUINELY terrible Simpsons episode could be like). Anyway, I remember that quite a few people (or maybe it was only one or two) complained that “the “Nightmare Cafeteria” segment of “Treehouse of Horror V” was too violent and disgusting and went too far and all that.

Anyway, that’s an awesome moment you’ve posted.

2. 13 October 2012 at 1:21 am

Nightmare Cafeteria is a classic, and the ending makes it perfect. “One chorus line of people, dancing ’til they make us stop. Too many dancing people, covered with blood, gore and glop. Just one sniff of that fog, and you’re inside out: It’s worse than that flesh-eating virus you’ve heard about! Vital organs, they are all protesting–the family dog is eyeing Bart’s intestine! Happy Halloween,” did I get that quote right? Less disgusting than the stereotypes on Modern Family or The New Normal, and unlike those shows, contains an actual joke.

3. 5 Frank
    15 October 2012 at 2:00 pm

I’ve always wondered who that extra person was, who jumps into the ending song. Was it Grampa or Willie? I’m thinking Willie, because he’s in all the episodes, but I’m not sure.

• 6 Charlie Sweatpants
      15 October 2012 at 2:24 pm

It’s Willie. He’s only got a couple of lines that aren’t accompanied by the family, but you can hear the accent if you listen for it.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 412 other followers