“Eww, this place has got old man stink!” – Hitman
“Oh.” – C.M. Burns
“Don’t listen to him, sir. You’ve got an enchanting musk.” – Mr. Smithers
I never bothered to watch the Lady Gaga episode a second time, so this comparison may be a little looser than I think it is, but the Elon Musk episode sure felt a lot like it. A mega famous person arrives out of nowhere in Springfield (Gaga in a giant train, Musk in a spaceship that lands in the Simpsons backyard), crazy shit happens for a little while, then the mega famous person leaves. There isn’t anything that remotely resembles story, conflict or satire, and the jokes, for whatever little they’re worth, are mostly just exaggerated plays on that mega famous person. Lady Gaga had a crazy bra, Elon Musk has self packing luggage, har har.
Even by Zombie Simpsons standards, this one was disorganized and scatterbrained, so buckle up.
– No couch gag.
– Homer just showed up to hold up a quarter against an eagle.
– Marge is here now too.
– The Eagle has Maggie, and now Homer is punching it.
– “Ha ha, stupid eagle, it wasn’t the mouse we were after, it was you!”
– Oh, good, the broom vs. eagle fight is continuing.
– Homer’s eyeball popped out.
– So, Homer trained the eagle for four weeks?
– And now Elon Musk is descending in a space pod.
– Homer is weeping and bowing now. This is more schizo than usual.
– Lisa is now explaining who Musk is.
– “So, what brings you to Springfield, Mr. Musk?” Exposition Marge is here for us.
– After Musk explains why he’s here, Homer asks him if he’s interested in visiting him at the plant. Musk replies, “I am, and I will”.
– Lisa just read out loud what Musk wrote on a piece of paper. This is also going slower than usual.
– I was going to try to explain what’s happening now, but Lisa did it for me, “He’s taking your Homerisms and turning them into his own great ideas.” This will go on for a while.
– Musk and Homer drove by Lou and Wiggum. There were gunshots.
– Burns is reading suggestions out loud.
– Burns is being happy and nice, always his best traits.
– This Imaginer(sp?) guy interlude was bizarre.
– But it got weirder as Homer and Musk sit on top of the cooling towers.
– Then they hugged.
– “I don’t trust Musk.” Exposition Smithers is trying to move the plot along. I do like that he simply told us how he was feeling instead of us getting to see why he thinks that way, though. It saves time for all the great stuff they’ve got here.
– Smithers just woke Burns up in the middle of the night for some reason. Then the hounds were released indoors.
– So, everyone has self driving cars now. That was unexpected.
– I didn’t see this musical interlude coming.
– Burns just informed us that he’s going to have Musk killed.
– Marge and Homer are in bed. Marge reminded everyone of what’s going on, then Homer described Musk again.
– A bunch of old guys just shot at Musk and Homer. Then Homer told us what just happened.
– Musk is apparently going back to his home planet now.
– But first he built Bart a real lightsaber. Okay.
– And, after some zero-g tears, it’s over. Huh.
Anyway, the numbers are in and they’re about what we expect with no football on. Last night just 3.40 million people wondered why Elon Musk wasn’t doing something more interesting with his time. That’s good for #4 on the all time least watched list and doesn’t auger well for the remaining ten or so episodes this season.