Sep

Somebody Please Pay Attention To Us!

Krusty Gets Kancelled7

“So, you want ventriloquism do you?  Alright, watch this!” – Krusty the Klown

It has been a very long time since I was a regular Sesame Street viewer, even various junior family members I’ve babysat over the years have now outgrown it.  On top of that, I have an almost physical revulsion to celebrity “news”.  I go out of my way to avoid knowing about the latest brouhaha surrounding famous people of every stripe which, given the pervasiveness of such information, is itself something of a chore.  My apathy about this subject typically extends to announcements about the latest celebrity voices to make appearances on Zombie Simpsons.  I rarely report them because the cameos themselves long ago became indistinct and pointless and, besides, there are plenty of other Simpsons websites for that kind of second hand promotion.  So please understand that I have no insight or opinion about aspects of this story that do not involve this rather novel publicity stunt by Zombie Simpsons.

That preamble concluded, singer Katy Perry has apparently been in the news lately because a guest spot she did on Sesame Street got scotched.  I’ll let The New York Daily News give you the details using one sentence paragraphs:

Perry, whose duet with Elmo was cut from Sesame Street after parents complained the singer showed too much skin, will get a second chance to sing with puppets this winter as a guest-star on "The Simpsons."

Though celebrities are usually given the cartoon treatment for "Simpsons" cameos, this time Perry’s much-maligned cleavage will be on full display.

The pop star will appear as herself in an unusual live-action segment, alongside the other Simpsons characters who will be transformed into muppet-like puppets.

In the episode, due to air Dec. 5, the "Teenage Dream" singer reportedly plays crusty bartender Moe’s girlfriend, and leads the gang in a rousing rendition of the "The 39 Days of Christmas."

If you want to see a picture of the puppets, you can click the link.  The whole family is there, plus Moe and, oddly enough, Burns; they all look very Muppet-like.  Much like the Kesha opening from last season, this will no doubt result in a very short Reading Digest the Friday before it’s broadcast.  It will then suffer the same fate as all obscure pop culture moments, popping up on-line from time to time until the heat death of the internet.

In terms of what this means for Zombie Simpsons, all it tells us is that their desperation to stay relevant using the popularity of others is still redlining.  But we knew that already.

7 Responses to “Somebody Please Pay Attention To Us!”

1. 1 Derp
    28 September 2010 at 7:17 pm

Just look at the Elmo top. They knew exactly what they were doing.

2. 28 September 2010 at 7:49 pm

Look on the bright side…they haven’t got Lindsey Lohan on…yet.

3. 28 September 2010 at 10:12 pm

They filmed it before the Elmo thing happened, and they’d have been stupid not to take advantage of the perfect publicity opportunity that presented itself. Also, the puppet gimmick doesn’t strike me as considerably more gimmicky than the Homer^3 segment.

Fuck you for making me defend Zombie Simpsons.

• 4 Charlie Sweatpants
      28 September 2010 at 10:47 pm

Whether or not they filmed it before the Elmo thing is, to my thinking, immaterial. The Sesame Street flap is just a coincidence. The point of bringing in Perry is that she routinely finds her way into the news.

I’d also disagree that this is less gimmicky than Homer^3. Doing a little experiment in a Halloween segment is much different than putting an attractive, famous female on display in live action during a regular episode. This strikes me as “Marge in Playboy” redux, it’s Sex Sells 101: get a woman to show some skin. I’ll reserve final judgement until I see it, but is putting her on live going to have anything to do with the rest of the episode? I’d be shocked if it does. To put it another way, is there any reason other than sex appeal and publicity (Simpsons in puppet form! Katy Perry in a tight shirt!) that this isn’t animated?

This looks like pure gimmick, getting people who love or hate Perry to tune in or talk about a show they otherwise wouldn’t. It has nothing to do with comedy, satire or anything else that the Simpsons used to be about.

• 28 September 2010 at 11:34 pm

1. I didn’t mean that it’s any less gimmicky than Homer^3. This thing sounds more gimmicky, but not considerably more

2. I’m guessing is that it’s a christmas special parody where “celebrity friends” drop by, so a gimmicky appearance by a current popular celebrity might actually be warranted here. It’s probably the world’s easiest target, but it’s still a target. I’m probably giving them too much credit here, though

• 6 Doc
          30 September 2010 at 7:50 pm

If it’s a parody of Christmas specials, couldn’t they find a way to reanimate Tom Landry and bring him back with Xoschitla (spelling?)?

4. 7 Cyberen