Jan

Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner3

“Who are you and why are you ruining my retirement party?” – Mimi the Food Critic
“I’ll have you know I wandered off from the tour.” – Homer Simpson

Happy Birthday Al Jean!

1. 9 January 2011 at 12:50 pm

Wow, an episode from Season 10? I’m impressed with you. Granted, the ep went downhill the second Homer starts giving bad reviews for no reason, but this was still a great quote.

• 9 January 2011 at 12:51 pm

Er, Season 11. Even more impressive.

• 3 Patrick
        9 January 2011 at 2:00 pm

It’s a season 10 holdover episode but you know it’s a rare moment when a quote from a double digit season episode is used on this site.

• 9 January 2011 at 4:01 pm

Maybe it’s a subtle hint that Al Jean should retire.

• 5 D.N.
            9 January 2011 at 5:27 pm

“Please don’t make me retire. My job is the only thing that keeps me alive. I never married and my dog is dead!”

• 6 Charlie Sweatpants
            9 January 2011 at 8:17 pm

I don’t want Jean to retire, I want him to stop doing Zombie Simpsons. If there was “A new series from the mind of Al Jean” I’d definitely watch it. One of the many things that sucks about Zombie Simpsons is that way too many talented and funny people are doing it instead of something else.

I realize that it’s a lot simpler to say that as a fan than as a writer/producer/whatever. Getting a new series off the ground, creating new characters and new settings that are strong enough to last for several years, can’t be easy. And there are lots of things outside of your control, from finding a supportive channel/network to getting a decent timeslot. Doing something like that is basically signing up for a couple of years worth of grief and uncertainty and in the end chances are it’s still going to get only a season or two, if that.

It’s easier, and probably pays better, to just keep bringing in celebrity guest voices to give Homer new jobs and Bart new girlfriends. But something like “Ugly Americans”, which Simpsons alum David M. Stern is heavily involved with, is a vastly more enjoyable viewing experience, even though it’s still a little rough around the edges, because it’s fresh and there are lots of new characters and situations for the writers to explore. You may like it, you may not, but it’s new so the only way to find out is to watch it. At this point, Zombie Simpsons is what it is, episodes are largely indistinguishable and the writers and voice actors seem kinda bored with it. Everyone’s just going through the motions, giving the audience warmed over versions of things they’ve seen before, and the end result is an uninteresting show. Taking a chance with something new probably means failure, but continuing Zombie Simpsons certainly means mediocrity.

• 11 January 2011 at 2:54 am

This is my main problem with the current seasons: Squandered potential. You’d think that being on the air for 22 years and being pretty much immune to cancellation would free up these fears of failure and actually take risks with lots of strange, out-there stuff. Because someone like me would be thinking “What’s Fox gonna do? Cancel us?” when I would take a story places that would’ve sank lesser shows that had everything to lose.

Of course, the REAL out-there material hit its peak around season 8 (hmm), back when there was an actual chance the show could’ve ended. To sum up what you said Charlie, we instead get the real-life version of Star Trek XII: So Very tired. Everyone’s old, fat, and they want to go home. But nope, the network/fandom won’t have it.

Anonymous on Homeronymus Bosch