Mar

Ned Flanders: Party Guy

“That was Edna Krabappel.  You only get one chance with Edna Krabappel.” – Sideshow Bob

Via HollywoodChicago.com comes an interview with Marcia Wallace.  She talks about her career, how she got started and, naturally, Mrs. Krabappel.  It’s a neat little read, but there’s also this nauseating bit about an upcoming episode of Zombie Simpsons:

Carol had better luck than poor Edna, she is looking for love in all the wrong places. I just did an episode last week where I have a romance with Ned Flanders. And there is going to be an online poll to ask America whether they should get together.

The only question I have is whether or not this is going to be more teeth grindingly painful to watch than the time they awkwardly shoved Marge and Ned together.  Since Zombie Simpsons is nothing if not adept at disappointing its audience, I’ll withhold judgment until I’ve seen it.  The online poll is a nice touch, albeit one that reeks of desperation to still be relevant.

As much as we loathe Zombie Simpsons around here, we do love Marcia Wallace.  The interview is to promote an appearance by her and some other actors in Chicago this weekend (today and tomorrow).  It’s mostly people like her, recognizable actors who never become big stars.  The guy who played Phil Leotardo on The Sopranos and told Joe Pesci to get his shine box in Goodfellas will be there, as will Cindy Morgan of Caddyshack and TRON fame.  So if you’re in Chicago and don’t have plans for the weekend, you could do worse.

13 Responses to “Ned Flanders: Party Guy”

1. 26 March 2011 at 3:15 pm

It’s time to play… WHAT RUBBISH PUN-BASED TITLE WILL THE GIVE THIS EPISODE?!

I’m guessing “Nedna Flanbappel” or something stupid like that.

2. 2 Charlie Sweatpants
    26 March 2011 at 3:36 pm

How about “Bible Study”? Nah, too short.

• 3 D.N.
      26 March 2011 at 7:24 pm

What about “Edna, Pray, Love”? That’s terrible enough to be plausible.

BTW, yesterday I caught the tail-end of some shitty Zombie Simpsons episode from 2006, and Krabappel was having an affair with Moe. Is she just getting passed around from supporting-character to supporting-character?

3. 6 Bryan
    27 March 2011 at 2:47 am

Ughh, I still feel like much of the zombification process occurred while experimenting with the Flanders family. This sounds terrible.

4. 7 Danny
    27 March 2011 at 6:33 am

The episode will be called “The Ned-Liest Catch”, according to Wikipedia.

• 8 Bryan
      27 March 2011 at 10:39 am

Of course. Why not name an episode using a cultural reference that probably has nothing to do with the episode’s content. On that note, why not use one that isn’t culturally relevant, and never really was.

5. 9 Mike Russo
    27 March 2011 at 11:40 am

I’m starting to think the worst thing about Zombie Simpsons are those idiotic titles.

6. 10 Celia
    27 March 2011 at 1:11 pm

I feel there could be potential for a glimmer of interesting in that idea (Edna briefly morphing into a more modest Christian type isn’t something that’s been done before – I don’t think so, anyway). However, I predict that Ned will briefly morph into someone less uptight – which certainly has been done before, more than once. And my personal answer for whether they should get together is “no”, even before the stupid episode airs. I’m sure this site will confirm that and other questions to which the answer is “no” (should I bother watching the stupid thing at all?) when it comes to it.

27 March 2011 at 7:45 pm

Here’s an interesting way to start this episode: Ned is telling the story of how he met up Edna in high school and how they hung out, then they got separated and he met Maude. Then there’s a relation between then and now, which ends with him turning on to her again, but the story is being told as if it has already happened.

Here’s how Zombie Simpsons would probably start it: Bart does another prank, Homer has to go to a parents meeting because of that, but doesn’t want to go, so convinces Flanders to go instead. Ned comes and finds an interest in Edna, then they hook up, then something obvious happens and they break up. And at the end Homer does his trademarked jerkass.

8. 12 Mr. Incognito (AKA Landry H.)
    30 March 2011 at 12:35 am

However, I see this episode going the way of a looser Ned (I won’t say how the episode unfolds for the sake of your and my time).

I believe that an earlier Zombie (?) episode had the “Vegas wives” from Season 10 come to Springfield. One of Flanders’ boys referred to her cigarettes as “sin sticks.” Does anyone think that the writers today would mention it if Edna and Flanders hooked up?

A reforming Edna could be a decent idea, but I don’t see the Zombie Simpsons writers putting that much time and energy into actually making it work.

• 13 Charlie Sweatpants
      30 March 2011 at 12:38 pm

“You know what…the thought crossed my mind, but what if those who read the DHS vote to put Flanders and Edna together. It might be such a bad idea (once the novelty dies off) that it makes the impending doom of ZS that much quicker? I know, it’s counter-intuitive and all, but it just might work.”

Would that we had that kind of traffic! Even if we did though, the on-line poll is certain to be a gimmick, like that heavily promoted contest they had about the fans creating a new character. After all the hoopla (and free publicity) they just drove him into a cliff.

Anonymous on Homeronymus Bosch