Apr

Sunday Preview: The Great Simpsina

Guest stars, guest stars, guest stars. That’s the theme of tonight’s Zombie Simpsons episode, whose description is capable of inducing a brain hemorrhage:

The family is greeted by folk singer Ewell Freestone (guest voice Jack McBrayer) when they visit a peach farm, but when Marge goes overboard with peach-inspired dishes, Lisa and Bart try to get rid of the unwanted fruit. Later, Lisa becomes a magician’s apprentice to the legendary Great Raymondo (guest voice Martin Landau) who helps her develop her craft, but a schoolgirl crush clouds her judgment when she is coaxed into revealing the Great Raymondo’s most famous magic trick to his phony archnemesis. But when the rival magician’s act takes a risky turn, the Great Raymondo has one last trick up his sleeve and stages showdown with Ricky Jay, Penn & Teller and David Copperfield (guest-voicing as themselves), showing them why he is the master of the craft.

Will someone please tell me what peaches have to do with magic, and why should we care?

16 Responses to “Sunday Preview: The Great Simpsina”

1. 1 Joe C.
    10 April 2011 at 12:24 pm

I’ll tell you what peaches have to do with magic – manatees writing the show. Also, since when did Penn & Teller use wands and orbs? Zombie Simpsons writers obviously think that all illusionists act the same and use the same props.

• 2 Bryan
      10 April 2011 at 12:56 pm

That’s not it. They don’t trust the audience to realize that they’re magicians unless they have tons and tons of overtly magical props.

Also, I’m glad you guys will be watching this episode, because there’s no way I could force my way through this one.

2. 3 Mike Russo
    10 April 2011 at 1:56 pm

Man, this one is going to be the piece of shit to end all pieces of shit.

3. 4 Celia
    10 April 2011 at 4:00 pm

Perhaps to get ride of the peaches, they take them to the stage magicians who wanted them for some stage magic.

No, I don’t know either.

4. 10 April 2011 at 7:38 pm

Maybe the writers finally remembered that Lisa has a peach tree? That’s the biggest magic trick I can see them pulling off.

5. 6 Joe C.
    10 April 2011 at 9:56 pm

This episode was pretty awful. I do admit, however, that I got a very small chuckle from the mislead involving the bullies throwing Bart, but that’s it. Homer was especially retarded this episode, and the ZS writers must have traveled back in time to 2005 to make a reference to Chriss Angel. Also, was there no opening/couch gag this time?

Also, note to ZS, don’t make Lunchlady Doris have any more speaking roles..it’s an insult to Doris Grau.

P.S. what was up with the random sappy ending? It may have been heartfelt had I actually cared about the magician, but like with 99.99% of ZS characters I have no sympathy or empathy.

10 April 2011 at 11:08 pm

Yup, it’s a definite runner-up (if not direct contestant) to the zombiest of the episodes. Exceptionally for this episode though, when 21 minutes of filler were not enough, producers had to eliminate the intro (including the couch gag) as an excuse for not having time.

Because the main idea here is magic, but also because it is okay to show people die in some gruesome ways, this episode qualifies as the earliest Simpsons Halloween specials (before ZS turned the rest of it into standard). Whatever it is, I can’t think of more words to distinguish this piece of shit from so many others they did recently: filler, guest stars and nonsense, overimposed a big “UNFUNNY”.

I don’t know who would actually have enough stamina to sit through this, excluding stoned couch farts and ADD folks. Probably kids will. But I wonder if kids would understand jokes about American economy and parenting, because otherwise, I just don’t see any point anymore in making them.

It’s not even stupid anymore. It’s… pathetic.

• 8 Bryan
      11 April 2011 at 1:06 am

I agree with you on almost all points, but ZS has been pathetic since early Season 11.

For anyone who has seen it: how do they attempt to explain why Lisa wants to be a magician? It seems…uncharacteristic, even for Zombie Lisa. I doubt the writers even give it a second thought.

11 April 2011 at 8:30 am

Well, they never explain:

1) Why did the family go peach harvesting if they all (except Marge) hated peaches thereafter?

2) Why did the raccoon attack a human (when they jump on you for fun is one thing, but you can’t make a story plot out of it, it becomes like the one where Bart was chased by some stupid dog for no reason whatsoever just so that the plot can advance)?

3) How does that Demon guy manage to survive over three minutes without air breathing (going for some Guybrush record here) and wtf happened with the rest of the show they did a whole minute setup to start with anyway?

Of course, all this if not taking into consideration that Raymondo is a painkiller addict for some reason, as if we didn’t know that he was already enough fucked to be a magician.

What I meant to say perhaps is that past Season 12 the show has become unfunny, this being the main tag for their zombie sketches. Well, past Season 20 it is becoming not only unfunny, but also pathetic, like this kid who makes a really lousy fart jokes and begs you to laugh at him. The next thing they have left is to hire goons to stand by every family who are watching their premieres on Sundays, with the guns pointing at them and saying “LAUGH, LAUGH YOU DAMMIT!!!”

• 10 Bryan
          11 April 2011 at 10:52 am

I don’t think that Zombie Simpsons is too far off from incorporating a laugh track. It would mean they have become what they originally set out to mock, but haven’t they already?

11 April 2011 at 11:34 am

There is no absolutness to stupidity (and that also concern the comment below), as there never will be a rock bottom as such to hit by their episodes. Some ten years ago they allowed themselves to slack off their show, now they are pushing their limits forward. Therefore the only real thing that can stop them from going on with this bullshit are viewers ratings, to drop so sadistically low as to FOX actually cancelling them by force. But for this to happen, we’ll have to wait another couple of years or so, because there are populations who find it funny, and the number of viewers does not seem to accelerate in its decrease.

7. 12 TMarkedStone
    11 April 2011 at 8:47 am

God this episode was such shit. I didn’t even notice when it ended. I literally fell into a glazed eye stupor. I would pay so much money for this show to just end already. This is getting ridiculous. We’re so past shark jumping, there’s not a single way this show could get any worse.

8. 13 Franky TightLips
    11 April 2011 at 2:03 pm

I guess I will be the only one to say that I didn’t mind this episode too much…

While the whole peaches thing was kind of stupid, I thought the montage of all the things to do with the peaches was kind of funny.

While I didn’t like the whole “Simpson character becomes a…” and Homer with his “I hate to see Lisa cry” (as if Homer is such a doofus that he has to logically rationalize his reaction to one of his kids’ disappointment or that we are too stupid to realize this already), I did like the relationship between Lisa and Raymondo, and even Homer and Raymondo, especially the fact that Homer rationally asked R. to forgive Lisa without being overly outlandish and stupid, and the fact that R. finally did.

I also liked the flashbacks to his Raymondo’s wife – he is a man who truly misses his wife, and turns to medication to relive his happy memories.

While the whole magic thing was unrealistic – especially the fight scenes, the little scenes throughout the episode were funny (where L. changes the dove to the bunny to Maggie, where she tries to throw out her stuff only to find it back on her bookshelf, where Nelson tries to give Martin a wedgie, only to pull out more and more briefs, etc.).

I really hate the guest spots in general, but I felt they didn’t go overboard with the introductions (normally it’s: “OMG, Grammy award winning pop-star Katy Perry?!”). The roll call with the first names only was much better, in my opinion. Also while the whole Kris Angel thing was stupid, the voice acting by Penn, Teller, David Copperfield and Martin Landau was pretty good – actually really good in my opinion.

So yeah, minus marks for the “Lisa becomes a…” motif, the stupid peaches set up, and the outlandish magic tricks.
    But plus marks for the themes of trust, forgiveness, loss, and despair. Also for not guest star name dropping and some decent voice-over acting.

Please don’t hate me, but in my books this was one of the better ZS episodes.

11 April 2011 at 4:39 pm

Wea once again stand in the brink of those to whom the original Simpsons concept tells nothing, because they are easily amused by today’s staleness and randomness of the moment. Some of them force themselves and watch the previous episodes of the yesteryear, of which another portion aren’t skeptical about them. Others don’t, as they see no reason. For this kind of people we, the appreciators of originality in the concept, have to accept the fact that the show will never end, or at least not in a long time.

This kind of momentum takes root in the idea that something continuously thrown at the audience will eventually persuade them to believe it is funny and go with it. And we’re not talking about the same joke being used twice in a twenty-minute overlap of boredom. We’re talking about sticking with the concept of Homer being a punching ball, introductions of random characters in a way that attention-deficient viewers stick to the idea implanted in their brain as to why they should care for those characters, etc. etc. And of course, the randomness of everything, because scenes don’t have to represent the continuous flow from ont to another, as they can be related by such means as cutaway gags, commercial breaks or even random humour.

What we are today past beyond is the reality of the moment. Nobody gives a fuck about that anymore. We live in the world of sitcoms where it is ok to, in addition to making fart-burp-fap jokes, to constantly break the fourth wall, show persistant violence, or simply make a feeble connection between scenes. Nothing else has to make sense anymore. Well, dear gentlemen, you can call me conservative, you can call me Buzz Killington, but I still blame the happening of this to them stupid movies and commercials that do not make sense anymore. The world has to stick with one guy saying a fart joke, another one being beaten to a pulp, and third one being a celebrity. That’s all we need today.

And here, well, we have a flagrant example, even if it may be someone who also enjoyed the original Simpsons episodes. If words “I still find it funny” are spoken, then I just don’t know why search deeper for a common sense to this anyway.

Nick R on Quote of the Day