May

Fugu Preparation

Image used under Creative Commons license from Flickr user oliptang.

“If in fact you’ve consumed the venom of the blowfish, and from what the chef has told me it’s quite probable, you have twenty-four hours to live.” – Dr. Hibbert
“Twenty-four hours?” – Homer Simpson
“Well, twenty-two, I’m sorry I kept you waiting so long.” – Dr. Hibbert

1. 1 Big Fat Man Has Big Fat Heart
    19 May 2011 at 4:05 pm

I almost feel bad linking to this on a post to celebrate classic Simpsons, but thought I’d share this news about the latest new low Zombie Simpsons has sunk to. You may have already heard about this, but: http://www.avclub.com/articles/fox-asks-fans-to-decide-the-fate-of-latest-inconse,56321/

As if the Flanders/Krabappel pairing wasn’t already loathesome and brainless, this comes along to make it that little bit more repulsive. I think, at long last, we can say they have not even a shred of decency left.

• 2 Charlie Sweatpants
      19 May 2011 at 4:25 pm

Yeah, I saw that this afternoon, it’s a once proud show slumming it because someone in marketing thinks social media is “in” right now.

• 3 Joe C.
      19 May 2011 at 4:30 pm

That is just…sad. It’s a terribly sad attempt at trying to attract the mainstream audience into influencing probably the most useless storyline to date.

I urge everyone to just ignore this so-called contest. If no one votes, then maybe FOX will get a clue that ZS is no longer a viable franchise.

19 May 2011 at 6:05 pm

You know what I think? Just for the fun of it, people should try to get a tie on both votes. This was ZS producers will still have to come up with their own plot, and maybe they’re doing this because they’re sick. And if they are, maybe they’ll just stop. I know it’s asking the impossible, but still…

3. 5 D.N.
    19 May 2011 at 6:40 pm

“Nedna”? Fucking “Nedna”??

Why do I get the feeling that the ZS writers put Flanders and Krabappel together just so they could use that shitty portmanteau?

4. 6 kokairu
    20 May 2011 at 4:32 am

My work has blocked this site! I may cry now, or do some work, and then cry. But then, I have earned a coffee break, so I may put off both.

5. 7 Matthew
    20 May 2011 at 11:01 pm

One fish two fish is one of the most underrated episodes of The Simpsons. When Homer thinks he is going to die and finally realizes the importance of his family and how precious life truly is and connects with his father like never before was so real yet still found time to be funny.
    I saw this episode a while after losing someone very close to me and it hit pretty close to home.

And the ending is really well done with Homer slumped on the recliner at dawn and Marge thinking that he’d died.

Classic SImpsons wasn’t just about great humor, but it had a lot of heart too.

Homer and Marge riding off into the sunset at the end of Duffless. Selma singing to her Lizard at the end of Selmas Choice. Homer on his car looking up at the stars in Mother Simpson. Maggie’s bittersweet first word, and of course Homer covering up the demotivational plaque in his work station with pictures of Maggie.

All these moments were back when the characters were still grounded in reality. None of these moments would be possible now. You can’t have heartwarming episodes when the show has no heart.

• 8 D.N.
      21 May 2011 at 12:23 am

Exactly right. Homer’s plight in this episode was moving and dramatic, yet the episode never stopped being funny all the way through. That’s a balance that Zombie Simpsons can’t do.

Anonymous on Homeronymus Bosch