May

Idiot to Drunkenly Watch Teevee Again

Duffless5

“Do you ever drink to escape from reality?” – Marge Simpson

Ladies and gentlemen, we made it.  Season 22 is over, and the only confirmed casualties were humor, plot and enjoyable comedy.  In celebration, I’ll be undertaking another Simpsons-beer marathon this Saturday, the 28th of May.  For those who’ve found this blog since the last time I did this, the basic concept is that, starting at about 8:00am Eastern Time (US), I’m going to watch an entire season of The Simpsons and drink one beer per episode.  I’ll post running updates after each episode finishes, (a more detailed description can be found here).

Just like the previous times, the season I watch will be decided by the Simpsons fans with the good taste and penchant for self torture who deign to visit this site.  Seasons 4, 5, and 6 have been done, so the poll at right contains Seasons 1, 2, 3, and 7.  The poll will be open until midnight Friday (04:00 GMT Saturday), and I’ll watch whichever season comes out ahead.

Update May 28: Season 7 put up a hell of a fight, but Season 3 prevailed.  Thanks to everyone who voted.

Season 3 Poll

20 Responses to “Idiot to Drunkenly Watch Teevee Again”

1. 1 hughes
    24 May 2011 at 10:31 pm

don’t do Season 1, you’ll only get half as drunk!

2. 2 Mike Russo
    24 May 2011 at 11:08 pm

Sevennnn….sevennn…sevennn…SEVEN SEVEN SEVEN!!!

3. 3 Richie
    24 May 2011 at 11:46 pm

Right now Season 3 is winning. Come on, fans of (other persons’) pain! Don’t you wanna see what a semi-drunken Charlie has to say once The Bad Episode pops up?

• 4 Joe C.
      25 May 2011 at 12:48 am

Which “Bad Episode” are you referring to?

Anyway, I just picked season 7 simply because there’s too many damn good episodes to not watch and, in my opinion, is the most consistently funny season out there.

• 5 Richie
        25 May 2011 at 1:34 am

Click on the “dead homer society manifiesto” right under the blog’s banner, and ye shall know…

• 6 kokairu
        25 May 2011 at 4:41 am

“Marge Be Not Proud.” It somewhat fittingly comes after the 138th Episode Spectacular, and the key line “Who knows what adventures they’ll have between now and when the show becomes unprofitable.”

I don’t mind it, but find it amusing that it annoys DHS so much, so my vote’ll go for 7 too ;)

• 7 Nick
      25 May 2011 at 11:05 am

I think Charlie said that if he ever did season 7, he wouldn’t “let Marge Be Not Proud spoil my good time.” That’s fine with me. He’s said all that he needs to say on that one.

I personally don’t mind that one. It’s not my favorite, but there’s a few decent lines in there, and I always wanted to own a Bonestorm game because it…where was I? Oh yeah, stay out of my booze!

4. 8 P. Piggly Hogswine
    25 May 2011 at 6:58 am

This reminds me that I too have to do this drunken Simpsons joyful experience one day. I voted for season 2.

5. 9 sam
    25 May 2011 at 7:06 am

i think season 2.. ..mainly because the drastic changes from the beginning of the season to the end, both in terms of maturing animation and storytelling, thus i believe you’ll catch alot things that you didn’t think were there initially.

I have been rewatching S2 recently and have been taking a lot of pleasure from it..

6. 10 Shane
    25 May 2011 at 10:40 am

Season 3 would do nicely.

7. 11 matthew
    25 May 2011 at 12:21 pm

Season 3!!!!

Flaming Moes is the perfect episode to get drunk to!

When the weight of the world has got you down
    And you want to end your life,
    Bills to pay, a dead-end job,
    And problems with the wife.
    But don’t throw in the tow’l,
    ‘Cuz there’s a place right down the block…
    Where you can drink your misery away…
    At Flaming Moe’s…. (Let’s all go to Flaming Moe’s…)
    When liquor in a mug (Let’s all go to Flaming Moe’s…)
    Can warm you like a hug. (Flaming Moe’s…)
    And happiness is just a Flaming Moe away…
    Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away…

8. 25 May 2011 at 1:27 pm

What kind of beer will you be drinking?

• 13 matthew
      25 May 2011 at 1:52 pm

Hopefully he has some Duff! I do. Also got some buzz cola, and Frosted Krusty O’s from when they were for sale during the promotion for the movie (which came out 10 years too late, but oh well)

Just don’t drink Fudd!!

They always drink Fudd in Shelbyville. They loooove the sweet taste. (that’s a milhouse reference)

• 14 matthew
        25 May 2011 at 1:56 pm

Actually the Duff beer bottle I have wasn’t part of the movie promotion like the buzz cola and krusty o’s. I cant remember where I got it. Its just the duff label around a beer bottle.

9. 15 Chris
    25 May 2011 at 2:17 pm

The question is, though, do you own the Krusty home pregnancy test (Warning: May cause birth defects)?

I voted for season 3, since I believe that’s the best in the show’s history, and I’d like to see this site do some positive commentary. I’ve had enough putdowns of season 22 (well deserved, of course), now it’s time for some celebration of the greatest season in the history of television.

• 16 matthew
      25 May 2011 at 4:52 pm

Nope. No Krusty Home Preganancy Test. What I really want are those Krusty Trading Cards, such as: “Krusty visits relatives in Annapolis, Maryland”, and “Krusty poses for Trading Card Photo”.

I’m for Season 3 as well. The Flaming Moes song alone is more than enough reason to go back and revisit season 3.

10. 17 D.N.
    25 May 2011 at 6:34 pm

I voted for season 3. I’m pretty sure I voted for season 3 the previous two times Charlie held this poll. So I guess I’ll keep voting for it till it finally wins.

11. 25 May 2011 at 11:20 pm

Yeah, I voted Season 3 too. The key here is that there’s a substantial difference in tone between Seasons 1-3 and 4-7, but 3 is where the shrewd viewer can feel the transition coming on. It might make for interesting reading.

12. 26 May 2011 at 11:42 pm

I was another Season 3 voter on the previous polls. You know, that season with “Bart the Daredevil”, and the Leftorium, and so many famous artists singing Sending Our Love Down The Well. And, of course, Michael Jackson!

Boourns on Quote of the Day