Jun

Crazy Noises: Homer Simpson in “Kidney Trouble”

Homer Simpson in Kidney Trouble1

“Aren’t you going to give him the last rites?” – Marge Simpson
“That’s Catholic, Marge.  You might as well ask me to do a voodoo dance.” – Reverend Lovejoy

For the third summer in a row, we at the Dead Homer Society are looking to satisfy your off-season longing for substandard commentary on substandard Simpsons.  This summer we’ll be looking at Season 10.  Why Season 10?  Because we’ve already done Seasons 8 and 9 and we can’t put it off any longer.  Prior to Season 10, we watched as the show started falling over, this is when it fell over.  And while the dust wouldn’t settle completely for another season or so, there is no bigger gap in quality than the one between Season 9 and Season 10.  Since we prefer things to remain just as they were in 1995, we’re sticking with this chatroom thing instead of some newer means of communication that we all know just isn’t as good.  This text has been edited for clarity and spelling (especially on “prostitutes”).

Today’s episode is 1008, “Homer Simpson in: Kidney Trouble”.  Yesterday was 1007, “Lisa Gets an A”.

Charlie Sweatpants: I find this episode wretched in almost every way imaginable.

Mad Jon: I don’t have much good to say about Kidney Trouble.

In a general season 10 theme, however, I liked the bloodbath gulch sign.

The signs are still pretty funny in this season.

Charlie Sweatpants: I may be partially biased because I distinctly remember watching this one the first time and despairing for the future of the show, but it’s bad regardless.

Jon: yes to both.

Mad Jon: But that, and the sumo babies tv ad on the tv guide are the only things I liked.

Dave: Yep. I characterize this one as hard to watch.

Charlie Sweatpants: Except that the animatronic jokes just keeps freaking going, and none of them are as clever as the ones in Selma’s Choice or Radio Bart.

Ooh, a leg flew off, a butt flew off! Ha ha.

Mad Jon: I wasn’t saying I liked the theme park, just the sign.

Charlie Sweatpants: Oh. See, I didn’t hate the theme park, just the robot jokes.

Dave: Then Grampa makes a joke about the butt, lulz

Er, pinches, whatever. It still sucks

Charlie Sweatpants: I like the pathetic tour guide, and the lame gun fight, and the fact that Marge is minorly scandalized by the open prostitution of the olden days.

Mad Jon: Agreed. But it was kind of draggy-ony. I did chuckle at the last "Lots of prostitutes in there!"

Charlie Sweatpants: Exactly. But once they leave the theme park . . . it’s all downhill.

The scene in the car is painful, especially since Marge is sitting right there while Homer is basically torturing his father.

Then the utter the word "kidney" and things go from downhill to freefall.

Dave: How many times does Homer bail on Grampa?

It was like the rake gag, but terrible.

Mad Jon: Three I believe.

Charlie Sweatpants: And far more drawn out.

Pretty much every scene after he agrees to donate a kidney is a rehash of the same thing: Homer being either afraid or ashamed.

Mad Jon: Yeah, it was hard to watch, I had the same anxious feeling I get when they do an episode where someone learns a tough lesson.

Charlie Sweatpants: And just as glacially.

Pretty much everything from him escaping the hospital for the first time is Homer being guiltily expository in a very television-y way.

Throw in the stupid plot twists (becoming a sailor for about two minutes, washing up next to the father and son) and all the repeated jokes, and it just gets more and more unwatchable.

Mad Jon: I was surprised he could even run that fast!

This episode always reminded me a tad of the episode where Homer has to find his soul mate, but you know, not so good.

Charlie Sweatpants: He can do whatever they want. At this point he’s more of a cartoon character than Bugs or Mickey. They have personalities, Homer acts out in a different direction depending on the episode or scene.

Dave: And that’s why the show basically turned into shit. It became a cartoon.

Charlie Sweatpants: And it started aping its own past gags.

The "doctors carry less than $5" sign is almost identical to the one about the archbishop in Who Shot Mr. Burns Part 2, Homer balking at signing the waver had been done better in Brother Can You Spare Two Dimes, and then there’s all the robot stuff.

There are few things that undermine an episode more than when many of its best parts had been done better years before.

Mad Jon: Most of this episode was boring to watch, and other than a few lines here and there, the rest was just bad. I now remember why I haven’t watched this one in forever and a day.

Dave: Don’t plan to revisit this one anytime soon. Once in as many years was too much

Charlie Sweatpants: Pretty much, there are so very many pointless exchanges that don’t do anything more than shove the already stupid and obvious plot one or two more inches down the road.

This one is best forgotten.

13 Responses to “Crazy Noises: Homer Simpson in “Kidney Trouble””

1. 1 RCreed
    30 June 2011 at 2:39 am

Your kidneys can’t burst from holding in urine, nor can they even be damaged. Urine is held in your bladder, and if you hold it in too long it comes out involuntarily.

• 2 kokairu
      30 June 2011 at 6:20 am

I don’t think the medicinal inaccuracies are the biggest problem with this episode

2. 3 Patrick
    30 June 2011 at 10:01 am

This still isn’t as bad as when Homer had a “wonderful” dream about suffocating his father to death, i swear down i felt like my whole body was going to crumble into pieces when i saw that :O

• 4 Big Fat Man Has Big Fat Heart
      30 June 2011 at 11:01 am

Oh man, that. I don’t care that it was a Sopranos reference, that was the point where I finally decided Zombie Simpsons wasn’t even good as background TV while I did something else. Just dreadful, astonishingly bad stuff.

• 5 Patrick
        30 June 2011 at 1:23 pm

I love The Sopranos :D but I didn’t know it was a reference to that and I know Family Guy has been doing some really grotesque stuff lately but even they haven’t done something as horrific as that :O

3. 6 Nick
    30 June 2011 at 10:32 am

The only funny thing I remember from this episode is the way Homer angrily says “F. Murray Abraham” when he talks about how they need to get home to watch Inside the Actor’s Studio. Every time I hear his name, I always hear that in my head.

The rest? Terrible. Easily one of Season 10’s lowest points.

4. 8 Chris
    30 June 2011 at 2:04 pm

I hated hated hated this episode. Homer’s actions are deplorable. Remember when Homer was a well-meaning oaf? Yeah, those days are long gone by this episode. This is probably the first episode that I really, truly hated. Back in season 2 or 3, they could have done an episode on Grandpa potentially dying, and handled it with the grace and dignity it deserved (example: Dog of Death). But by this point it’s just terrible.

5. 9 Patrick
    30 June 2011 at 3:56 pm

Just to add when South Park had an episode like this Cartman’s jerkass nature was natural and hilarious but with Homer Simpson, No, Just No.

6. 10 D.N.
    4 July 2011 at 6:08 pm

I’m gonna have to go against popular opinion here by stating that I actually like this episode – in fact, this episode was one of the reasons I shelled out for the season 10 box set (admittedly, I didn’t buy it until after it had been severely reduced in price).

I think my favourite line from this episode is the Frenchman’s “I stole this accordion from a blind monkey, but you… ugh! You disgust even me!”

7. 12 Mr. Incognito
    6 July 2011 at 2:09 pm

As an owner of an older vehicle, I like and can relate to putting electrical tape over the “Check Engine” light. Too bad the car actually broke down; it would’ve been better if Homer kept worrying about it and started it near the old folks’ home which got Grandpa on it. By the way, how was the car fixed? Looks like the Zombification got to this episode more than we thought.

• 13 D.N.
      6 July 2011 at 6:27 pm

“While I’m no fan of this episode, it’s better (to me, at least) than other Season 10 episodes such as “Bart the Mother,” “Sunday, Cruddy Sunday,” “I’m with Cupid,” and “Simpsons Bible Stories.””

Yeah, I mean, I just had a look over the list of season 10 episodes, and personally I can only see about three other episodes that are better than the kidney one (which, admittedly, says something about season 10’s quality, or lack thereof).

Mr Hankey the Christ… on Quote of the Day
Anonymous on Double Secret Makeup Quote of…
Anonymous on Makeup Quote of the Day