Jul

Dana Gould: Simpsons > Zombie Simpsons

Bart After Dark7

“In light of these new facts, of which I now realize I was largely aware, I must take action.” – Mayor Quimby

Remember Dana Gould?  He was one of the two Zombie Simpsons writers in Spurlock’s 20th anniversary special who took petulant, off topic swipes at people who say Zombie Simpsons sucks.  His nonsensical quote, in full:

“The people who say ‘It was never as good as it was five years ago’, it’s like well, neither are you, that’s the problem.”

Set aside the fact that “never as good as it was” is self contradicting, we know what he means.  More recently, he said pretty much the opposite.  Asked about his favorite episode in an interview with the Denver Post website Reverb, he said:

My favorite all-around episode I think is the “Last Exit to Springfield,” the one with the monorail. That to me was the show’s early zenith where it just really cranked on all cylinders. My favorite of my own was called “Goo Goo Gai Pan,” where they flew to China to adopt a baby for Marge’s sister Selma, and based on my own experience adopting our daughter.

Yes, “Last Exit to Springfield” is not the one with the monorail, but I’d chalk that up to a brain fart or a slip of the tongue.  On more substantive matters, he specifically and deliberately refers to the show’s “early zenith”, when it “cranked on all cylinders”.  That sounds an awful lot like an admission that the later years of the show are inferior to the early ones, doesn’t it?  He may not think Zombie Simpsons is as bad as I do, but he clearly thinks it’s not as good as The Simpsons.  I don’t know whether he’s had a change of heart since he talked to Spurlock or if he was just being less guarded and more honest in a more obscure forum, but there’s no mistaking what he’s saying: The Simpsons peaked and then went downhill.  Thanks, Dana.

13 Responses to “Dana Gould: Simpsons > Zombie Simpsons”

1. 20 July 2011 at 12:16 pm

I think by saying “early zenith” he’s trying to imply that there were later zeniths, but it’s really weaselly language so it could easily be taken your way as well, and we all know the show never had a later peak. Funny how truth can sneak in like that.

20 July 2011 at 12:43 pm

Bah! He’s one of the worst writers in Simpsons history! He’s said or done anything funny, ever.

OT:Although he doesn’t have the distinction of being the most irritating on commentaries: step forward, Matt Selman! My word is he annoying. I hope someone agrees.

20 July 2011 at 12:45 pm

*never. never said or done anything funny, ever. Curse my shoddy typing.

4. 4 Chris
    20 July 2011 at 1:40 pm

Yeah, my favorite is Marge vs. the Monorail, you know the one where the plant strikes over the dental plan. This guy’s an idiot. The fact that he worked on zombie Simpsons makes perfect sense, frankly.

• 5 fudge
      20 July 2011 at 8:32 pm

love this comment, was about to post something similiar but you beat me to it and your post is far better than the one i could’ve came up with.

sigh.

DENTAL PLAN.
      what’s that spell? “mono rail”

5. 6 lennyburnham
    20 July 2011 at 1:51 pm

I think your quote from Mayor Quimby at the top is missing a word.

6. 8 Member of the Bonerland Medical Association
    20 July 2011 at 4:41 pm

Dana Gould…

is history’s greatest monster!

21 July 2011 at 4:52 am

Reminds me of how Ian Maxtone-Graham allegedly couldn’t tell the Flanders kids apart and didn’t really care.

• 11 fudge
      21 July 2011 at 8:16 am

Oh yeah, and Ian Maxtone-Graham is a huge asshole, too, but at least he wrote a couple good episodes (though mostly some shitty ones). This Gould guy hasn’t written ANYTHING good and is STILL an asshole!

8. 12 P. Piggly Hogswine
    21 July 2011 at 6:27 am

He seriously put ‘Last Exit’ in the same mention as the Selma adopting a baby episode? There are no words…

9. 27 August 2011 at 1:11 am

Dana Gould really is the worst of the Simpsons writers. Every episode he’s done is pure poison. The Zombie Simpsons experienced a slight bump in quality after the movie was released, but I like to think the improvement came because they canned his smarmy Gex ass.

Richard on Quote of the Day