Jul

A Star is Burns8

“I have every right to be on that jury, even though I got there because I’m sleeping with the head of the festival.” – Homer Simpson
“How many times have I heard Rex Reed say that?” – Jay Sherman

Happy birthday Jon Lovitz!

1. 1 fudge
    21 July 2011 at 8:13 am

amazing episode.

I actually just started rewatching THE CRITIC and was blown away by how good 85% of it is. If anyone reads this and is a fan of the early Simpsons style humor — but also LOVES movie parodies — check out this show asap.

• 2 Joe
      21 July 2011 at 10:28 am

85%? Sure the animation goes downhill with season 2 but the stories and jokes are pure gold through the entire series.

2. 3 fudge
    21 July 2011 at 10:35 am

It stays pretty funny from beginning to end but some of the subplots feel a bit tired near the end of season 2 imo. Still a great show.

3. 4 Chris
    21 July 2011 at 1:54 pm

I find it hilarious that Matt Groening was so offended by this episode when it first came out. What about all of the cross-promotional stuff done recently, with Glee, American Idol and Katy Perry? Nah, not a big deal. But making a pretty good episode with Jay Sherman? Blasphemy!

“Barney’s movie had heart, but ‘Football in the Groin’ had a football in the groin.” Anytime you see another stupid movie from Hollywood, just think of this line. It works every time.

• 5 Member of the Bonerland Medical Association
      21 July 2011 at 3:02 pm

They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house! I’m not made of stone!

• 6 fudge
      22 July 2011 at 6:25 pm

It’s also sad because they’d done cross promotional stuff before (for example, having a clip of Ren and Stimpy in a the big brother episode — so weird to see that animation style next to the rest of the Simpsons animated stylings…), not obviously as parody but seemingly as promotion (I’d mention the King of the Hill “we drove from Arlen for this?” but that was a quick cutaway gag and I think it was after this episode)! And the cross promotional stuff SINCE then — like that episode where they sing and entire shitty pop song (can’t recall the name) instead of the Simpsons theme? Jesus…

As much as I love Groening — and I do, don’t get me wrong, I think LIFE IN HELL is absolutely amazing for example — I really think he only objected to THE CRITIC because it had Al and James L Brooks and a bunch of other Simpsons familiars and he felt uncomfortable — maybe even jealous — because of the connection.

Which is sad, cuz it’s one of the best episodes!

LET’S GET SILLY.

Krusty on Quote of the Day
Steamed Vaans on Quote of the Day
Fat Tony on Quote of the Day
Anonymous on Makeup Quote of the Day
Anonymous on Double Secret Makeup Quote of…