Jan

Sunday Preview: Moe Goes From Rags To Riches

zombierags

Image improved by Dave.

There’s new Zombie Simpsons tonight, and it’s a doozy.  Simpsons Channel:

After Moe is heckled for not having any real companions, Moe’s best friend and beloved bar rag narrates his incredible thousand-year journey to Springfield. Beginning in the Middle Ages, the bar rag was loomed into a beautiful and ornate medieval tapestry and traveled around the globe through the hands of royalty before finding himself found himself at Moe’s Tavern. When the bar rag goes missing, Moe realizes that he has more friends than he thought. Meanwhile, Bart begs Milhouse for forgiveness after the two friends get into a tiff.

Yeesh, a bunch of sensitive Moe plus Bart and Milhouse getting into a fight.  The best thing I can say about that is that at least the B-plot is something they haven’t repeated recently.  And maybe it’s just me, but doesn’t the rag kinda look like it’s flipping the bird?

36 Responses to “Sunday Preview: Moe Goes From Rags To Riches”

1. 1 Josh
    29 January 2012 at 6:37 pm

Wait…what? A talking bar rag is the center point of this episode? Is this real life?

Oh and Bart ‘n Milhouse have a fight…great.

2. 2 Patrick
    29 January 2012 at 7:20 pm

Wow this is going to suck…

3. 3 Patrick
    29 January 2012 at 7:21 pm

And how in the world does a rag last 1000 years?

4. 4 monoceros4
    29 January 2012 at 7:24 pm

You’re the worst character ever, Towelie.

5. 5 dong
    29 January 2012 at 7:31 pm

Talking rags? Okay. Yes, talking rags.

6. 6 Thrillho
    29 January 2012 at 7:36 pm

Let’s not forget that the rag is voiced by Jeremy Irons. Oh good, maybe his performance in Dungeons and Dragons won’t be the most embarrassing moment of his career after all.

• 7 Patrick
      29 January 2012 at 8:19 pm

Jeremy’s Iron ;)

• 29 January 2012 at 8:39 pm

That bar rag wanted us to give him our rage. God, I WISH he overacted this time.

This episode committed the biggest sin of all: Being dull. At least the sponge calling out the rag on being made from a tapestry kind of implied that he was full of crap, but the writers couldn’t elaborate on that. I could forgive everything that happened in this episode (tapestries, lots of death, Moe being the son of a yeti) if it was funny…but it wasn’t.

Wake me up when we see an episode dealing with the origin of Moe’s pickled egg jars. Or Mexican Duffman.

• 10 D.N.
      30 January 2012 at 2:12 am

In JI’s defence, he admitted that the film was awful and he only did it so he could buy a castle with the money. I suppose if you’re going to do something really embarrassing, getting a castle out of it is about the best excuse you could have.

• 11 Thrillho
        30 January 2012 at 11:07 am

Well, he did make that movie ten times more enjoyable than it needed to be, so I give him credit for that. I haven’t watched this episode yet, but I doubt it’s the same case.

7. 12 SharoKham
    29 January 2012 at 10:06 pm

That whole Social Network ripoff, and now they mention Facebook within a few seconds of the episode starting? It’s not that I care about continuity, but damn.

On a purely practical level, I don’t think Mayor Quimby’s voice has much time left, and even Bart’s voice sounded rough around the edges. Are they using Nelson so much because his voice isn’t worn out yet?

Wow, ZS Birth of Man does not look good at all. If you’re a billion dollar industry, you can not struggle to do things that The Critic did effortlessly.

“During the town meeting…Which now seems like years ago…” Fuck you, Midge.

At least it was different.

• 13 Patrick
      30 January 2012 at 6:40 am

Shit like that pisses me off so much! :@

• 14 Charlie Sweatpants
      30 January 2012 at 12:29 pm

“On a purely practical level, I don’t think Mayor Quimby’s voice has much time left,”

He’s been off before, but that was really bad. Shearer’s characters have usually been the ones that sound weird the most (he’s a lot older than the rest of the cast), but that was Castellaneta sounding like he was near death.

29 January 2012 at 11:01 pm

Their b-plots became a-plot, and c-plots b-plots. Is there such a thing as a c-plot? Use cutaway gags for plots?

9. 29 January 2012 at 11:09 pm

For a second, I could’ve sworn that rag was the Sorting Hat from Harry Potter.

10. 17 ecco6t9
    30 January 2012 at 1:55 am

Krusty: Alright, stop it. Eh, this bit’s dying.

11. 30 January 2012 at 3:03 am

I’m not a “Zombie Simpsons must die” kind of guy–I really don’t have anything against the show and do still enjoy it from time to time. But tonight was just embarrassing. This show has approximately 500 million recurring characters and this is what they choose to go with–the autobiography of a rag?

30 January 2012 at 4:38 am

I think you contradict yourself right there: if the fact of them going with scrapped paper bits as plots gets at you, you DO have something against it.

Just saying you might be at the right place =)

12. 20 Bea Simmons' Rotting Corpse
    30 January 2012 at 5:19 am

At least it started with a pointless dance routine instead of ending with one.

This was once again a very dull story which they forgot to make somewhat amusing by adding actual jokes

13. 21 Patrick
    30 January 2012 at 7:27 am

Anyone notice the bowling team picture from ‘Team Homer’ in the background?

• 22 Bea Simmons' Rotting Corpse
      30 January 2012 at 7:58 am

I think that’s in the background everytime we see Moe’s. Maybe it’s a foreshadowing of the upcoming Pin Pals episode

14. 23 Patrick
    30 January 2012 at 7:34 am

Also why does the sun rise and set the wrong way in newer eps.? In ‘the cartridge family’ for example the sun set the right way during the 5-day wait montage.

15. 30 January 2012 at 10:18 am

Next up: Ozmodiar, the small green alien that only Homer can see.

16. 30 January 2012 at 11:59 am

I thought it was good. Certainly was more visually interesting in places than any recent episodes. Pretty good concept and execution. Milhouse/Bart shit was lame, as was the dance thing. But I laughed a few times, remembered a few good lines, and overall kinda enjoyed it. It felt like more thought and work went into it than they usually do. No, Zombie Simpsons hasn’t lowered my expectations, I just try to find something to like even in the worst episodes. This was an improvement in many ways from recent episodes, but again, the problem is that it’s a gimmick show. Just like a lot of people liked the future episode they did recently (which I thought was horrible)… it was more of a gimmick, which is either interesting or irritating depending on who you are. Or, hell, both interesting AND irritating. Anyway, it’s like I said a few weeks ago.. change the art style up, do fucked up surreal plots if you want, yada yada… that’s really all they can do at this point… the stock characters and plotlines are dull in Zomfield… I welcome more experimentation, really. I mean, why not? Have different creators reconfigure the show every week (have, like, Ryan Trecartin do an episode. Have Paper Rad do an episode. Have the 12 Oz. Mouse guys do an episode. Have PFFR do an episode. Etc.). I think that’d keep the show interesting from here on out.

But all in all, I liked seeing old characters that haven’t been around in a LONG time (though their appearances here weren’t really necessary). And I thought the day/night cycle and some other things were great to look at. It looks like a LITTLE work went into it instead of no work at all.

And I thought it was a LOT better than stuff like Simpsons Bible Stories and Tall Tales and all that.

17. 29 kokairu
    30 January 2012 at 12:09 pm

“Next, I’ll tell you the origin of Maggie’s pacifier!”
    “What origin? We got it for $1.95 down at the Safeway.”

18. 31 Bea Simmons' Rotting Corpse
    30 January 2012 at 12:23 pm

5.1 million people watched it. So it entered an episodes top 5 after all!

19. 32 Chris
    30 January 2012 at 1:34 pm

Krusty: Alright, stop it. Eh, this bit’s dying.

Next up: Ozmodiar, the small green alien that only Homer can see.

“Next, I’ll tell you the origin of Maggie’s pacifier!”
    “What origin? We got it for $1.95 down at the Safeway.”

I love how, for almost every episode they come out with nowadays, there’s at least one quote from a classic episode that makes fun of what they just did. The Simpsons knew what bad television was, and made fun of it. Zombie Simpsons is bad television.

20. 31 January 2012 at 1:34 am

Pfft..I’d rather watch the origin of the Krustyburgler.

• 36 Mr. Incognito
      2 February 2012 at 12:11 am

You mean the Estonian Midget?

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again…”Stop, stop!! He’s already dead!”