Feb

Animation Plagiarism

(Image sources: Honeymooners, Flintstones, Phil Silvers (Bilko), Top Cat, Huckleberry Hound, Yogi Bear, Andy Griffith, Edward G. Robinson, Art Carney)

“Okay, maybe my dad did steal Itchy, but so what?  Animation is built on plagiarism!  If it weren’t for someone plagiarizing ‘The Honeymooners’, we wouldn’t have ‘The Flintstones’.  If someone hadn’t ripped of ‘Sgt. Bilko’, there’d be no ‘Top Cat’!  Huckleberry Hound, Chief Wiggum, Yogi Bear?  Ha!  Andy Griffith, Edward G. Robinson, Art Carney.  Your honor, you take away our right to steal ideas, where are they gonna come from?” – Roger Meyers Jr.

Happy (real) Birthday Alex Rocco!

1. 29 February 2012 at 9:08 am

I love that picture of Wiggum. LOL

• 2 Charlie Sweatpants
      29 February 2012 at 10:02 am

“I think that’s after he’s inadvertantly blown up Selma and Sideshow Bob’s hotel room.”

Yup. I wanted to get him with the cigar.

• 1 March 2012 at 1:27 am

I thought so.

Chief Wiggum: [voice-over] Me and the boys were all celebrating a job well done, when I threw my match in the vicinity of the crime scene…[explosion]
        Chief Wiggum: Oh, right! The gas.

Anyhoo, really good selection of image sources. Nicely edited. Really helps bring home the plagiarism. I still don’t know how Hannah Barbera ever got away with Yogi Bear. It’s just Art Carney as a Bear.

• 4 D.N.
          1 March 2012 at 5:37 pm

After Hanna-Barbera stopped ripping off other people, they started ripping themselves off. I think in the 1970s, HB produced about three different clones of “Scooby-Doo.”

2. 5 Shane
    29 February 2012 at 11:17 am

I still say Ghost Mutt has potential. ;)

3. 7 Bea Simmons' Rotting Corpse
    29 February 2012 at 2:34 pm

Finally, DHS gets to congratulate Alex Rocco on his actual date of birth. Man, can’t believe by now the blog has been around long enough for me to remember previous Alex Rocco birthday posts as if it was yesterday

4. 29 February 2012 at 3:04 pm

Goddamn I love that quote so much. They cut Marge’s “Ghost Mutt” bit out in syndication, and it’s one of the few times I think it’s better for it; Myers Jr.’s rant is so perfect and hilarious, especially the last line, that piling on another joke almost seems like too much.

5. 9 Mike Russo
    29 February 2012 at 5:25 pm

The “Ghost Mutt” line is pointless, but I DO like Meyers bringing Marge into it, since she WAS the person who almost killed Itchy and Scratch with her lame ideas back in season 2. It seems almost like a callback.

6. 10 D.N.
    29 February 2012 at 5:45 pm

I re-watched “The Godfather” the other day, and when Moe Greene (Alex Rocco) yells “He was banging COCKTAIL WAITRESSES two at a time!!!” in exasperation, he sounds exactly like Roger Meyers Jr. shouting “That’s A LIE!!!” in court in “The Day the Violence Died.” Which amuses me. :)

7. 11 Patrick
    29 February 2012 at 9:23 pm

Can someone post the video please I love how Chief Wiggum looks at Roger Meyers when his name gets mentioned :D

8. 1 March 2012 at 1:29 am

Thought I’d post this. Probably the last classic Simpsons episode. I always consider this episode the unoffical end of real Simpsons. Seems like it would have been a good episode to go out on. Although, ending a few years earlier would have been even better.

• 13 monoceros4
      1 March 2012 at 2:14 am

I’ve long had a mixed opinion of this episode. It’s amusing, I won’t deny, and I’d watch it again…but it was like watching the snake finally succeed in devouring itself by the tail. The writers finally openly admit that the show sucks, that they know it’s sucked for years, and they don’t care if it goes on sucking because the show must go on. It was the last “Simpsons” episode I watched as it was broadcasted.

Gabbo on Quote of the Day