Mar

Homer's Barbershop Quartet9

“Look what I got!  Now people will stop intentionally ramming our car.” – Marge Simpson
“Hmm, baby on board?  ‘Baby on board, something something Burt Ward’, this thing writes itself.” – Homer Simpson

Happy birthday Alf Clausen!

1. 1 Richie
    28 March 2012 at 10:38 am

Ageless episode. Wishing Alf Clausen a happy day as well, though there’s a better chance Zombie Simpsons suddenly surpasses The Simpsons in quality, than on Mr. Clausen seeing this message.

Don’t they have huge pupils in this framegrab from what we’re used to?

2. 28 March 2012 at 3:04 pm

Great episode, one of my favourites, the B-Sharps

3. 5 kokairu
    28 March 2012 at 5:49 pm

Season 5… Otherwise known as the “giant pupils” era…

• 6 Mr. Incognito
      28 March 2012 at 8:40 pm

But the thing about the giant pupils is that you know you’re getting a good episode.

Animation/model goofs are forgivable by me if the writing is still good. Which it was here.

• 7 mmmfreegoo
        28 March 2012 at 10:54 pm

YES! This something I noticed along time ago.. I also really happened to like this design trait (although I wonder how much of my fondness was due to the design being synonymous with the episode quality of that time)

I wonder if any Frinks happen to know if the producers used a specific animation house during this period that was different to other episodes / periods

• 29 March 2012 at 11:08 am

I think this isn’t the case; IIRC it was in Season 4 that the Simpsons transitioned from Klasky-Csupo to Film Roman, and I think the main artifact from this was an increase in color diversity and a slight desaturation of the show’s palette. Then again, that last statement is coming from increasingly hazy memories of “Planet Simpson”, but I’m still willing to put the artistic direction of Season 5 mainly down to direction than the animation house.

• 9 kokairu
        31 March 2012 at 1:47 pm

Oh yeah, it’s not a bad thing. I love the fact that earlier seasons are distinguishable from one another in character models and animation style. But seriously, those pupils are massive.

Richard on Quote of the Day