Apr

Homer's Enemy8

“Abandoned by his parents at age four, Frank never got to go to school.  He spent his childhood years as a delivery boy, delivering toys to more fortunate children.” – Kent Brockman

1. 1 ilmozart
    2 April 2012 at 8:16 am

Possibly best Simpsons episode ever. And let’s not forget that Frank Grimes, or as he preferred to be called “Grimey”, lived in a single room above a bowling alley and below another bowling alley.

2. 2 monoceros4
    2 April 2012 at 10:49 am

And yet, for all of Grimes’s hardships, not once does he ever come across as anything close to sympathetic. I wonder about that. It’s like…they want an outside character to see Homer Simpson as he really is, but the writers didn’t want us to stop liking Homer either, so they made the outside character into a complete tool–a guy who puts his names on his pencils and who acts like the rest of the world owes him favors forever.

I’ll never be comfortable with this episode, I don’t think. There’s a mean-spirited edge to “Homer’s Enemy” that wasn’t in the show before. This, and “Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie”, are the two crucial episodes that (for me anyway) indicate that something had been lost from “The Simpsons” and wasn’t ever going to return.

3. 3 Frank
    2 April 2012 at 1:45 pm

I was Frank Grimes for a while, in my younger days. I worked harder than anyone I knew and yet I had nothing to show for it. Everything that I believed in fell apart; all my hopes withered away, one by one. And before I hit 25, I was as bitter as a bar of soap floating in a bucket of lye.

I hated everyone who had more success than I. They had all the money. They had all the great jobs. They had all the fun dates on Saturday nights.

And honestly, it was only when I started to find some personal success, that i became less bitter.

I didn’t particularly care for this episode because it didn’t resolve itself neatly within a neat little box at the end. Like many of the classical short stories, there was no resolution. The good guy didn’t win; the bad guy didn’t lose; heck there was no good vs. evil; just two guys living their lives the only way they know.

But perhaps this episode deserves more credit or at least more analysis by someone more cognizant in literature and literary styles than I… I wonder how many Frank Grimes’ exist in our society – enviously looking at the Homer Simpsons of the world and seething.

• 5 PEPITO! The Biggest Cat In The Whole Wide World!
      3 April 2012 at 1:13 pm

Come on, pal, I don’t want to hear your life story. Paw me!

• 6 Frank
      4 April 2012 at 12:02 pm

No guys, don’t be sad – I’m as happ-diddly-appy as Ned Flanders now!
      I just think that this episode deserves more credit as being a study into human behaviour

4. 7 Mike Russo
    2 April 2012 at 5:25 pm

One of my absolute favorites, easily.

Anonymous on Homeronymus Bosch