Apr

Sunday Post: A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again

zombietotally

Image bloodied by Dave.

It’s that time again:

In this mouth-full of a title-d episode, when Bart sees a commercial for the ultimate cruise, he begs his parents for a family vacation. Low on cash, the only way they can go is if each family member sells one valuable. Once they’re away, Bart is determined to make the vacation last forever. So he comes up with a plan to make sure they never have to return home.

I anticipate a well plotted piece of non-claptrap that never makes me want to wretch.

19 Responses to “Sunday Post: A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again”

1. 29 April 2012 at 8:46 pm

The episode opened good, but then it just got blah from there. I liked the kickass cruise the family went on, but you know what? Kickass isn’t funny. It got kinda better when the ship went to hell, but then the writers realized they only had 5 minutes to wrap everything up, but didn’t.

• 2 HMS pinafore
      29 April 2012 at 9:39 pm

This happens a lot now that the show will have the family go on some awesome trip or go to an awesome shop, but it’s just not funny, shityness is funny and the Simpsons used to know this.

2. 29 April 2012 at 8:50 pm

Wow, cheap sentiment…looks like the droids at the NHC are already slapping their fins together over this.

I gave this a healthy 1/5.

3. 30 April 2012 at 12:16 am

This episode had a lot of promise, and while I found it worth a good laugh at many points, at the end I turned and looked at my gf and asked “wait… no… they didn’t just end it with them on Antarctica…”

I’ll put it this way: Many of the recent episodes have this same problem where they’ll actually have a great plot, but they somehow have wasted all their time earlier in the episode cramming in all the things that made them giggle when writing, rather than paring it down to a few really good jokes that will endure. I just watched this a few hours ago and I already can’t really remember too much from the middle of the episode, other than the joke about the activity coordinator leaning on every railing, and Bart using that low budget movie as a panic mechanism. Gotta admit, that caught me off guard and was a good use of something from earlier in the episode.

Also, I’ve noticed with some of the other recent episodes that they haven’t just been swapping letters in names of things when they’re making fun of them. It’s nice to see a bit of thought put into their skewering of pop culture, but it doesn’t happen often enough with consistency, and that’s where the show is really failing at nowadays. I’ll watch one episode from this season that gives me a good laugh, and another just has awful pacing, terrible jokes and is the opposite of what I grew up with. I’ll be the first to admit that it’s nothing like the old days, but I do like some effort that some of the writers have put into their scripts, and I wish it were just more consistent across the board.

4. 30 April 2012 at 12:30 am

PS: I agree with what HMS Pinafore said above about them going somewhere awesome. I too prefer the days when something turned out to be crap. At the least, I did like that they tried to throw us off a bit and didn’t immediately try to go “oh, you’ve been upgraded to awesome cabins” like they’ve done in the past, but it still is a real cop out in the end.

A bit off topic, but does anyone know how they write the shows nowadays, and how it differs from the writing of the show 10+ years back? I’d be curious to know what checks and balances they’ve stopped doing to scripts in recent years.

5. 30 April 2012 at 12:36 am

Sorry to keep posting, but I did like alot of the sight gags in this episode, and the freeze frame stuff was pretty funny cuz they didn’t linger on it for too long. If anything, this episode had great timing. Like I said, it’s probably a writer-to-writer thing, but again, we’ll get episodes like this that have some great stuff in them, buried, but then another episode will be lazily written, or the execution will be badly done. Just my 3 cents.

30 April 2012 at 3:34 am

Signing with everything mentioned above. This ep was good until Bart said “Want, want, want, WAAAAAANT!” where it got brainhemorragic right from this point on.

7. 30 April 2012 at 6:44 am

Named after a David Foster Wallace essay. Just in case we didn’t realize how intellectually sophisticated and culturally with-it The Simpsons is.

8. 12 Patrick
    30 April 2012 at 9:46 am

This reminds me of that god-awful episode in season 15 where bart and lisa chase homer and marge all across america…

9. 13 Thrillho
    30 April 2012 at 11:28 am

Count me as part of the crowd that thinks it started off with promise but then completely fell apart. Even though that montage wasn’t very good, I never expected to hear a Hot Chip song on this show. There were also a few decent bits in the first few minutes like Skinner buying Bart’s slingshot only to cut it up (which thankfully wasn’t drawn out or over-explained), but it went to Hell when they went on the cruise ship. Bart making the crew think there’s a virus going around is something only ZS could do, they suddenly end up in Antarctica for no reason other than so they can say they’ve been to all 7 continents, and it ends with a sappy resolution without any kind of jokes.

Yeah, I was almost ready to give this one a pass, but then it had to keep going. Never underestimate Zombie Simpsons.

• 14 Andrew
      30 April 2012 at 11:45 am

Hot Chip AND Animal Collective. Just in case they were starting to alienate the indie crowd.

• 15 Thrillho
        30 April 2012 at 1:09 pm

Next episode: Bart can’t stop listening to Bon Iver!

• 17 Charlie Sweatpants
        30 April 2012 at 3:23 pm

The musical selection definitely had the stink of “look how cool we still are” on it. Was that opening montage with the days in different parts of the screen from a movie or something? The layout seemed familiar, but I can’t quite place it.

• 30 April 2012 at 9:01 pm

Considering Groening is a huge “underground” music fan, I’ve always expected some Boredoms, Beefheart, Sun City Girls, Scissor Shock, Harry Partch, The Residents, or something else like that on the show. But eh.

30 April 2012 at 1:20 pm

It’s not even a show in its own right any more.

The part of the episode that most of you enjoyed I didn’t find especially clever, it looked like just the same old method of dragging out characters the audience has known for decades and tying them together with something nonsensical.

The main plot would have been more at home (and more funny) in an episode of Family Guy (which isn’t funny), where if Peter Griffin were Bart, he would have failed to comprehend his actions in a more appropriately childish way, likely with actual repercussions… and a conclusion.

Bart’s philosophical quandary itself was dealt with poorly, it’s only addressed once, in the last 3 minutes, shortly before they play with penguins.

If they weren’t still yellow, I’d have thought I was watching an episode of Scrubs. All that emotional hand-holding and the contrived, disposable characters. Wow! There sure are a lot of zany people on this cruise ship!

“Make the most of fun”? Because family life is only about fun and the horrible things you have to do that necessitate said fun. “Hey, that’s my washcloth!”

Ah Hee Hee Hee on Quote of the Day