May

Sunday Preview: Lisa Goes Gaga

zombiegaga

Image bloodied by Dave.

The picture above is the preview image of a YouTube video they put out to promote this week’s episode.  Even if it weren’t bloody, I think flying, headless, boob-cannons nicely sums up what we’re dealing with:

Lisa tries to reverse her status as one of the least popular girls in school by ghostwriting positive things about herself on the school blog. When her plan backfires, her social ranking plummets to a new low – until a psychic force tells Lady Gaga (guest-starring as herself) that Lisa needs her help. With Gaga’s assistance, Lisa and the entire town of Springfield realize that being yourself is better than being like anyone else.

I’m curious to see how much Gaga is actually in the episode.  She could be in just one scene or in half the episode.  You never can tell with Zombie Simpsons.

43 Responses to “Sunday Preview: Lisa Goes Gaga”

1. 1 Patrick
    20 May 2012 at 8:52 pm

Looks like noone wanted to endure this crap, can’t say i blame them really…

20 May 2012 at 8:53 pm

Yeah, I’m also a little surprised at the total lack of comments. Is that a bad sign?

20 May 2012 at 9:20 pm

On everyone else’s computer screens, the blood is real.

4. 4 Jake
    20 May 2012 at 9:21 pm

On everyone else’s computer screen, the blood is real.

5. 5 lennyburnham
    20 May 2012 at 9:29 pm

The only good thing about the episode was that they actually gave Lady Gaga a decent part.

There was a crowd scene where Selma was looking up at Lady Gaga admiringly and I wondered if they intended for it to be Patty and they just messed up? I guess they never pay attention to who’s in the crowd scenes.

The Marge/Lady Gaga kiss was even worse than I’d prepared myself for.

6. 6 FireFlower
    20 May 2012 at 9:46 pm

For the first time in the history of the show…an episode I DON’T want to watch. I will see it anyway tomorrow morning. I have it in the DVR.

7. 20 May 2012 at 10:53 pm

Yeah, this is only the second episode I missed this season on airing. Instead I used that time to watch some season 2 episodes. I do have the Gaga episode downloading slowly so I’ll see it eventually but eh.

8. 8 John Hugar
    20 May 2012 at 11:16 pm

Potential episodes for “compare and contrast”:
    Moaning Lisa
    Lisa’s Substitute
    Stark Raving Dad
    Round Springfield
    Lisa The Vegetarian
    Summer of 4’2″

Probably some more I’m forgetting. Curious to see which one you guys go with….

• 9 Thrillho
      21 May 2012 at 10:30 am

Stark Raving Dad is the obvious choice, but I think this has the most in common with Moaning Lisa. The differences are that Lisa is whinier, and the way Lisa becomes happy again is dealt with in a more ham-fisted way.

Anyway, I started watching the first two acts and was then called up for dinner, but I didn’t bother with the other two. I liked Bart’s line about how “If it weren’t for awards shows, how would I know that Glee was a comedy?” (That show really is unfocused), but apart from that: bleh. It really felt like they dug a script for a rejected Care Bears episode from the ’80s and rewrote it as a vehicle for Lady Gaga while adding Simpsons characters.

• 10 Thrillho
        21 May 2012 at 6:49 pm

*Replace ’80s with “trash,” and you’ll know what I was trying to say.

• 21 May 2012 at 8:37 pm

Don’t forget SimpsoncalifragilisticexpialiD’ohcious, where another singing Mary Sue-ish character descends on the Simpson family, but becomes depressed and alcoholic after dealing with them for a few days.

I wonder if this episode was born from the rejected Prince sequel to Stark Raving Dad, but having THAT idea with Leon thinking he was Lady Gaga instead of Prince without essentially changing anything else would have been 100x better than last night. Or last season. Or three.

To me, it wasn’t the total trainwreck I was expecting (and with her train, I was also expecting a literal one), but it was flawed all to hell.

9. 12 swarmingwithmagicrobots
    20 May 2012 at 11:45 pm

21 May 2012 at 1:03 am

Go read Mr. Sweatpants’ dissertation on the subject, you nincompoop.

• 14 Thrillho
      21 May 2012 at 10:34 am

Actually, that’s probably not too far from the truth. It felt like it was written by a 7-year-old:

“And so then Lady Gaga is riding on a purple train that looks just like her, but then she uses her mind to see that Lisa’s feeling bad. So then she goes to Springfield while changing her outfits 80 billion times because that’s funny and she sings a couple of songs and makes everything better. The end.”

• 22 May 2012 at 12:04 am

hahahaha.

I swear they’re trying to go for typical-adult-swim-show-style stoner surrealism but they just don’t know how to do …. anything …. properly.

Weirdest fan fiction site I ever found was about a decade ago, called “roy orbison in clingfilm fan fiction”. Odd stuff. Like 30 stories about roy orbison in clingfilm.

• 16 Charlie Sweatpants
      21 May 2012 at 6:14 pm

“Listen to yourselves. Al Jean, out of the kindness of his own heart, turns some lucky 7 year old’s fanfic into a real episode. And you just have to DUMP on it. Well I hope you’re happy with yourselves, you damn heartless killjoys.”

Actually laughed out loud at this comment. Internet sarcasm done well. And yeah, this one did feel like a fan script a 7-year-old Gaga fan might come up with.

20 May 2012 at 11:48 pm

Not bad for a season finale. Many things amiss but in all it was mildly watchable.

I’ll have to say this though:
    [img]http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/5051/pokerfaceonthesimpsons.jpg[/img]

11. 21 May 2012 at 12:05 am

so there’s a new maggie simpson theatrical short that will be airing before Ice Age 4. Uh, yeah. Kinda unexpected but there ya go.

That poster reminds me of something… a Ren and Stimpy titlecard maybe? Or a Batman: Animated Series titlecard (don’t laugh, they almost always had bizarrely stylized — though very very dark — title card)? Or maybe a Roger Rabbit poster? I dunno, I just know I’ve seen it somewhere before.

Anyway, bout to watch the actual episode… here we go…

21 May 2012 at 12:54 am

how did you embed a video so that it showed up correctly?

• 21 May 2012 at 1:47 am

I was surprised by that too, since I just posted the link without thinking about it and did nothing else fancy. Either it recognizes to make youtube links into youtube videos, one of the mods made it where it was embedded, or I copied an embeddable link without thinking about it and then pasted it and it showed up this way.

Wish I could be more help. Maye someone will enlighten us?

21 May 2012 at 2:20 am

My guess is that since it does embed youtube but not [img] bbcodes for pics, is that either I entered an incorrect code, or Charlie just disabled bbcodes in comments. Would be nice to be able to post pictures (even with pre-mod) instead of googling my ass off for a code that still won’t work…

• 22 Charlie Sweatpants
            21 May 2012 at 6:15 pm

WordPress does all that stuff. YouTube videos just seem to embed well on here (well, most of the time).

21 May 2012 at 12:18 am

Come on now, crying diamonds that would completely destroy the world diamond economy, very unrealistic. Besides that, this episode was great, another 10/10 from me! Looking forward to season 25, All aboard!

13. 24 Dan S.
    21 May 2012 at 12:21 am

Crying diamonds? This would have destroyed the world diamond economy, I found their handling of this rather unrealistic. The rest of the episode was great, another 10/10.

14. 27 ThisCannotBeTheFuture
    21 May 2012 at 1:11 am

Man, that episode sucked ballz.

What is it with ZS and all the–in the words of Trey Parker–“Derp!” jokes???! Was Al Jean always a hack, or did he just become one?

That embryo drinking liquor reveal was lame, the crying diamonds line was lame, the Gaga-Marge kiss was one of the most cringe-worthy things I’ve seen on the show (“It’s shocking so it must be hilarious, Derp!”)…and what the hell was that Homer-has-OCD-while-tossing-Lisa joke?? Is that what the writing staff regards as “witty”??

21 May 2012 at 1:16 am

Watch like 5 previous eps and you’ll see whatever you come up with is not SO bad. Like I said, it was mildly watchable for my eyes.

• 21 May 2012 at 1:49 am

Didn’t they already have Marge make out with Lindsay Naegle a season or two back?

What’s next, her and Princess Kashmir go to third base together?

• 30 Jake
        21 May 2012 at 2:19 am

I forsee in the near future Homer’s line of: “Women should stick to girls sports like hot oil wrestling, foxy boxing, and such and such” coming true with Marge partaking in Foxy Boxing or Hot Oil Wrestling around S25.

15. 32 Josh
    21 May 2012 at 1:51 am

Holy crap, just reading the line “Lisa and the entire town of Springfield realize that being yourself is better than being like anyone else” makes me sigh with disappointment. Sounds like a storyline for toddlers .

16. 33 akumatafur
    21 May 2012 at 2:23 am

“……until a psychic force tells Lady Gaga (guest-starring as herself) that Lisa needs her help”

Screw this, I havent heard something that stupid in a long time.

17. 36 FireFlower
    21 May 2012 at 9:18 am

This episode was just as bad as I was expecting. It was nothing but a vanity project for Lady Gaga.

I do want to see that Maggie short but I dont’ want to see Ice Age 4 until it is on DVD…I guess someone will post it on Youtube after they see it in the theatre.

• 21 May 2012 at 8:41 pm

I know there’s not much to go on yet, but a Maggie-centered short seems kinda odd — something they haven’t done before (though the tile makes me think it’ll be just like “The Great Escape” homage in “Streetcar Named Marge”; she still has never been the main character of any episode I can remember, not even “And Maggie Makes Three”) — and the coloring and style of that opening image, at least, almost makes me wonder if this has been outsourced to a different team. Kinda like that Roger Rabbit movie that took place at the circus, that aired before some movie I can’t recall, but it didn’t really have much to do with the live action slash animated classic “Who Framed…” … just a prediction, but eh, I kinda hope they have someone else take a crack at this — hell, maybe the Ice Age team assembled forit — it might make it worth watching for 5 minutes.

I am surprised we haven’t heard any news whatsoever on this so far… it might be just a short preceding a mildly hyped film in a kinda huge franchise.. but it IS set to come out July 13th — ohhh, Friday the 13th — which is pretty soon… and it is in 3D…

so, yeah, in lieu of no real news, I’m kinda excited. But the trailer not having any actual footage, and the non-reveal thus far makes me kinda scared too… surely it’ll be better than anything they’ve done in a long time since it’ll be short eh. Kinda hard to fuck up 5 minutses of Maggie doing cute shit.

• 21 May 2012 at 8:47 pm

Actually, I’d almost argue “Homer Alone” has Maggie as a star. It gives her more screen time than usual at least.

Anyone into the brilliant and kinda creepy underground dark hip hop group Company Flow?

“The counteraction is just a helpless action of the hapless flinching
        My supersonics leave you mute like Maggie Simpson”

Brilliant line from a brilliant song.

21 May 2012 at 10:21 am

What on earth are Abe and Jasper doing at a Lady Gaga concert?

• 40 Dan S.
      21 May 2012 at 10:43 am

How else were they gonna get Abe’s hilarious mispronunciation in there? They were running on all cylinders with this one.

• 21 May 2012 at 11:03 am

ahahaha.

I will say, my VERY uncool 82yearold grandpa — who doesn’t really know much at all about pop culture — knows of “Pokerface” because it’s played on the Ellen Degenere show a lot apparently. But I still don’t think he’d be at her concert.

Anyway, this episode was even worse than I expected. I don’t even mind Lady Gaga so much (I heard she apparently writes most of her own Madonna Lite music, which isn’t bad for a 24-year-old… yeah, yeah, I know Conor Oberst was writing symphonies when he was 4 or some shit, but she has a much better rear end…. heheh), everything else in the episode was a lot worse than her somehow.

The only way the episode could have been saved is if Gaga killed whiney-ass annoying “I HAVE NO FAITH IN YOU WAHHHHH” Lisa. THAT would’ve been fan service. Wore her as a dress. Lisa used to be cute and interesting and a powerful character, now I think she is absolutely the worst character on the show. Ugh.

Bleeding Gums Murphy on Quote of the Day