Nov

Sunday Open Thread

Are we all excited about tonight’s new Zombie Simpsons? From Simpsons Channel:

Homer is shocked to discover that his bowling teammate, Dan Gillick (guest voice Steve Carell), is an accountant for Fat Tony and his mob. Meanwhile, Lisa adds insects to her vegetarian diet after passing out during a saxophone solo, but starts questioning her decision when bugs start pleading for mercy in her dreams.

Mobsters and insect-eating sound like a winning combination.

20 Responses to “Sunday Open Thread”

1. 1 ecco6t9
    18 November 2012 at 3:21 pm

I thought she was ALWAYS supposed to be a vegetarian per Paul McCartney’s request. Pissing off a Beatle might not be the best thing…..

2. 18 November 2012 at 3:37 pm

That B-story sounds pretty gross. And how bereft are these guys of title ideas that they’re “parodying” one of the writer’s twenty-year-old pseudonyms?

• 5 safetydancer
      18 November 2012 at 4:36 pm

Uhm, that’s not what they are parodying at all…

Look up the phrase “Penny-Wise, Pound-Foolish”

• 6 Anonymous
        19 November 2012 at 10:04 pm

“Penny Wise” was the credited writer for Another Simpsons Clip Show and the 138th Episode Spectacular. Mike knows what he’s talking about.

• 7 safetydancer
          22 November 2012 at 4:21 pm

Duuuuh, everyone here knows that. But the episode title is not a parody of the pseudonym, both the pseudonym and the title are a reference to an old phrase

18 November 2012 at 5:31 pm

So far sounds pretty damn stupid and got 0 urge to actually watch it.

4. 9 Monty Python Forever
    18 November 2012 at 8:10 pm

I kind of like this so far: The disgusting iron pills, the arsonist shooting the accounting form, and the Moe’s bar scene is pretty good.

5. 10 Monty Python Forever
    18 November 2012 at 8:12 pm

No fly in his soup, and an accountant talking shit to mobsters is amusing– but Lisa likely eating cat food and poison is kind of disgusting.

6. 11 Zartok-35
    18 November 2012 at 8:20 pm

They’re just trying to recreate the animal pleading scenes from ‘Lisa the vegetarian’, in a disturbing and tastless mannor.

18 November 2012 at 10:26 pm

Okay, to sum it up: another dull episode. I liked previous one better. The only two kinda nice things here were lunchlady Doris’ return and Moe’s joke about religion. Oh, the chalkboard gag was quite decent. The rest was either stupid, or plainly gross, or just.. weird. Same goes for Lisa’s dream, grasshoppers laying eggs in that guy (where did he come from btw), etc. etc.

Also, I wonder if anyone noticed Mantegna’s voice in this one?? Didn’t sound like Fat Tony at all to me: take even last Season for comparison, he sounds much better there.

8. 13 Monty Python Forever
    18 November 2012 at 11:03 pm

I was disappointed by the dream: It could have been a lot weirder and funnier, but instead it was straightforward and bereft of humor. You could do a compare and contrast to Bart’s dreams when he sold his soul, when he thought he caused Skinner’s death, and when he returned home after ruining Thanksgiving. Hell, you could compare it to the Inception parody–even that had more imagination, and parodied parts of that movie like the convenient storerooms for information and the unimaginative nature of Limbo.

9. 14 Monty Python Forever
    18 November 2012 at 11:06 pm

Lisa’s dream in 10 words: “…Time to end this dream…don’t forget the standard scream!

10. 15 Mourning Glory
    21 November 2012 at 2:11 am

“Meanwhile, Lisa adds insects to her vegetarian diet after passing out during a saxophone solo, but starts questioning her decision when bugs start pleading for mercy in her dreams.”

…..

Why? Just… why? I can’t even…

There is no emoticon for what I’m feeling… (Forgive me, but it’s a decent ZS quote)

21 November 2012 at 10:15 am

There is nothing decent about Zombie Simpsons anymore. And if you question yourself, that means you still haven’t shut off your brain for this show.

• 17 Mourning Glory
        22 November 2012 at 6:19 am

“There is nothing decent about Zombie Simpsons anymore.”

That’s for sure. Even reading about them here makes me ill. There are still a few… Zombie-ish(?) episodes (in the 10-12 range or so) that I think aren’t TERRIBLE, at least not on the same level as 13/14 and beyond, but it always makes me feel a little guilty, and usually if I watch one of those after watching some of the classics, it makes the episode seem even worse by comparison.

22 November 2012 at 5:01 pm

Well, actually, it’s up to everyone to decide where did exactly this show become dead, personally I think that Seasons 10 thru 13 are still decent to watch, kinda like the end of the show. Where it gets really bad is when they start going back to find new ideas, like that Season 14 episode where Grimes’ son comes back to get revenge on Homer, then there’s the one when they go to Italy and for some reason Sideshow Bob is there, etc. Those were really lame (I mean even by today’s standards).

But I use to watch other shows of the same kind, like Family Guy and American Dad, and the more I do, the worse they all get. Like that last FG episode where Joe just kinda gets his revenge, and the whole thing is just set up comedy in the situations which in no way at all stand for real life situations. And the one before that with Brian and Stewie and time going backwards – what the fuck?!? They try too hard.

It’s just too bad any shit can pass for watchabale nowadays, people just eat and poop and watch crap. It didn’t use to be like that. In the 90s the Simpsons were much less lazy than that! And whomever the fuck didn’t get the show was just cast out. Today they actually make shows for morons and then except to get decent feedback. That’s just disgusting.

• 19 Mourning Glory
            23 November 2012 at 2:07 am

Yeah, taste is subjective and all that, although I’m sure most of us can agree that once it started to decay, it went downhill very quickly. I watched Family Guy for a while too, though when I first heard of it I thought it was a total ripoff of the Simpsons that was trying too hard to be edgy. Funny, that? But it got stale pretty quick for me, I haven’t watched new ones in years. Same with American Dad, which everyone said was better, but it just didn’t hold my interest that much. Anyway, the difference between these shows and the Simpsons is that the Simpsons actually had built itself a respectable, if sometimes infamous, reputation. The MacFarlane shows were already pretty wild and crazy from the beginning, whereas the Simpsons decided to jump on the bandwagon when they ran out of ideas and became an “anything goes” kind of show to keep up with the others. At least that’s the way I see it.

“Today they actually make shows for morons and then except to get decent feedback. That’s just disgusting.”

I think that sums it up nicely.

11. 20 Baby
    25 November 2012 at 5:37 pm

Recycling the idea of Lisa passing out while playing the saxophone… I guess we can always pretend it didn’t happen before

Brad on Quote of the Day