May

Separate Vocations13

“Bart, why’d you take the blame?” – Lisa Simpson
“Cause, I didn’t want to wreck your life.  You got the brains and the talent to go as far as you want, and when you do, I’ll be right there to borrow money.” – Bart Simpson

1. 1 ThisCannotBeTheFuture
    25 May 2013 at 4:14 pm

Great episode. Love season 3.

Random thought: does anyone else still have the instinctual urge to turn to Fox Sunday nights for the latest Simpsons episode?

Even though I became aware that I didn’t like the show back in 2007, it was only a year or two ago that I finally could overcome the urge to give them just once more chance. It’s still hard.

Simpsons, you should’a’ never quit me, baby.

25 May 2013 at 10:02 pm

lol I just stopped generally watching the episodes, like the last two. And it was back in 2008 that I really gave up on the Simpsons. So one could say…

2. 26 May 2013 at 5:32 pm

I wholeheartedly miss the days when prime time animated sitcoms had genuine moments like this. Every one of MacFarlane’s vehicles I’ve seen (except maybe Ted) is mean-spirited to the point where it scares me. I also long for the pre-zombie Simpsons days.

• 4 ThisCannotBeTheFuture
      26 May 2013 at 6:20 pm

Exactly, notice, for example, that in seasons 1-3 of “Family Guy” many (most?) of the jokes were not mean spirited, and instead pointed out the sillyness of some gen-x-era moments in pop culture.

Moreover, Peter was incredibly dumb but basically well-intentioned. And Quagmire, for example, was just perv.

Now, Peter is something of a bizarre, bombastic sociopath, and Quagmire has since transformed into a sort of closet rapist. Every single joke seems to be about how far they can push the offensive envelope for no other reason than to be offensive.

26 May 2013 at 9:54 pm

Their jokes got 99.9% very random. Back in the days of the first season they did some weird shit for the sake of doing it (like the whole copyright infringement joke with Peter suddenly transforming into Mickey Mouse), but it was still on-topic related for the most of them. Now they content themselves with bare plot forward-pushing phrases amongst a plethora of cutaway gags that, for the most part, derive from Mr. John Doe’s twitter quotes. Like back in 2009 they suddenly came out with Walt Disney being antisemitic self-assumption… lol What the fuck? The guy’s dead for like 50 years! Last time I checked… Who the FUCK cares?!?

• 7 Anonymous
        28 May 2013 at 10:01 am

Agreed, also I call him Seth McFarthead.

• 8 Rob K.
      30 May 2013 at 6:37 pm

I feel the same way and I myself still watch the Simpsons for some odd reason, out of desperation maybe, but the reruns (and DVD’s) of TV shows like MASH and Seinfeld (besides The Simpsons) never get old.

3. 9 FireFlower
    26 May 2013 at 7:23 pm

Offensive-for-the-sake-of-being-offensive is the very reason I HATE MacFarlane’s shows and anything like them. It is lazy writing and an excuse to be mean,

Gabbo on Quote of the Day