Jul

Homer's Enemy11

“I’m saying: you’re what’s wrong with America, Simpson.  You coast through life, you do as little as possible, and you leech off decent, hardworking people, like me.  If you lived in any other country in the world, you’d have starved to death long ago.” – Frank Grimes
“He’s got you there, Dad.” – Bart Simpson

1. 1 Frank
    4 July 2013 at 8:46 am

I used to be like ‘ol Grimey. Bitter at life, angry at those who seemed to have it easier than me.
    I think this episode woke me up a bit – I was frustrated that there was no good resolution for Frank Grimes at the end – like Homer, I was hoping that TV would have the answer.

But then I realized that for someone like Frank Grimes, there never is a good resolution – you just push and push and push, and get more and more bitter, and then you die, and then life goes on.

I’m sure this realization helped me chill out a bit more, and I guess that’s one more thing I can thank the Simpsons for.

4 July 2013 at 9:13 am

Personally I think that Grimes was intended to be a real-life person somehow pushed into the constraints of a cartoon world. Anything he says and does is exactly like a normal guy would’ve had it. And I can’t say that he’s exactly wrong with any of his arguments or actions, up to the point where he does start acting cartoonish at the very end. I used to like Grimes a lot, eventually I did find a better life mascot in some other character of some other show, but I really, really liked this guy and how he approached Homer, and how, truly, it is Homer’s fault that he dies. Amen.

• 3 RaikoLives
        4 July 2013 at 9:42 am

I don’t think it’s necessarily Homer’s FAULT Grimey dies. In the end, Frank Grimes CHOSE to do what he did. If I copied – and exaggerated – behaviour I see day-to-day in a vein, sarcastic attempt to prove that the people performing that behaviour are stupid/incorrect/misguided/fools, then I suffer the consequences upon my own head. If I see someone mouthing off to their boss, and not getting reprimanded, it does not mean I should mouth off at my OWN boss with the thought that I shall be similarly treated. I can see Grimey’s POINT, of course, that this isn’t just an isolated case, and that Homer, somehow, manages to fluke his way through life, but his OWN life – as difficult as it has been – should PROVE to him that each person’s life is different and that recreating the circumstances will be utterly futile. He’s angry, and upset, and probably not making the nest decisions, but its HIS decision. I wouldn’t say Homer was at fault. He may have been the catalyst, but he is certainly not responsible for it. (At least in so far as I remember the episode)

4 July 2013 at 12:59 pm

Well maybe we have different views on the episode, but mine is as follows: Homer is a considerable lazy jerk, half-asses his works and gets all the merit. He has a nice family and eats lobster for dinner. So far all this is cartoonish enough for the viewer to know that in real life, if such a person ever existed, they would be living as many downs as ups, and the apogee of their luck wouldn’t have fallen on the same moment as someone else’s apogee of unluck (this is pure satirical exaggeration). Then comes in the guy who, as I mentioned, had it hard all his life. And it’s not about to get better either (once again, another cartoonish exxageration). At the end both realities clash, and since Homer is the main character of the show (and we all know the rule), it’s Grimes who suffers the consequences.
          Of course, this is not such blatant in the face stupidity of two different realities suddenly put together as what Zombie Simpsons constantly has to offer, but what they did with it actually does come close. The final laughter of Homer sleeping at Grimes’ funeral were nothing funny if it wasn’t for a) Homer, b) The Simpsons and c) standard status quo sitcom episode development. I.e. in real life, none of this would’ve ever worked.

• 5 D.N.
          4 July 2013 at 6:25 pm

@RaikoLives:

“In the end, Frank Grimes CHOSE to do what he did… He’s angry, and upset, and probably not making the nest decisions, but its HIS decision.”

I didn’t get that impression at all. Doesn’t the bit where Grimes clutches the sides of his head and screams indicate that his mind has just snapped? I don’t think he was choosing to do anything, he was in the throes of insanity.

• 6 RaikoLives
            5 July 2013 at 7:55 am

“Insanity” still doesn’t make it Homer’s fault. And even if he was “insane” he still chose to do it. It wasn’t an involuntary muscle spasm or some kind of sleep-walking induced accident. It could be said that he CHOSE to let it affect him the way it did, since we implicitly choose how we let things affect us, therefore any “damage” to his brain that resulted in “insanity” is outside of Homer’s control, and therefore not his fault. If I play music too loud, it’s my fault if you go deaf, but it’s not my fault if you get concussion from banging your head against the wall in anger. I guess some lawyers/attorneys would try to prove in court that it was my fault you got concussion, but I would disagree.

5 July 2013 at 9:15 am

lol you’re like those people who say that since in Saw the killer never actually killed any victims, because they rather CHOSE to die, he’s innocent. Fairly, that’s bullshit. Homer was certainly the catalyst, and if it weren’t for him, Grimes would’ve probably still lived his little hard life. The only common ground I find here is that Homer didn’t do it intentionally. But even if one unintentionally kills a man, without any motive – it’s still manslaughter. Except, like I stated above, we’re watching a cartoon.

• 8 RaikoLives
                5 July 2013 at 8:41 pm

I haven’t seen Saw, so I don’t know the reference, but the little I know about it from other references to it I’m pretty sure the “guy in Saw” puts people into horrible situations and lets them choose between death and some other horrible outcome. That’s a totally ridiculous comparison because Homer never actually DOES anything to Grimes, beyond calling him Grimey. Homer simply was Homer. He lived his life as he had done for 30+ years and Grimey came along and reacted to it. Homer barely even noticed Grimey was alive. Homer never did one single thing that was inflammatory, or offensive, or in any way condusive to forcing Grimes to make some kind of choice. If Grimes hadn’t “gone insane and killed himseld”, there would have been no negative outcome on the guy from Homer’s actions. The humour of the situation comes from Homer’s total lack of understanding of his good fortune in life and the fact that his complete idiocy is tolerated by the rest of the town. Given that, perhaps it is the residents of Springfield who are “at fault” for Grimes’ death since they gave Homer his good life and never made him responsible for his complete stupidity, as well as giving Grimes his more difficult life.

6 July 2013 at 10:42 am

Homer was the catalyst of the situation, even if he didn’t do anything (though he did). There’s just no denying that.

• 11 Frank
        5 July 2013 at 9:58 am

Actually Stan, with regard to your original response (Jul 4 @ 913), you might be right – I thought i might have heard that comment from other people as well…

There was also the whole conversation as to who one would rather have as a neighbour, Homer or Stupid Flanders, and while everyone loves Homer, no one wanted to have him living next door (you know, with the barbecuing on the roof, eating wet hot dogs in the kiddie pool things he likes to do).

2. 12 Zartok-35
    4 July 2013 at 11:06 pm

Luis Escobar animated this. He wrote a blog post about his working on this sequence, and it’s his favorite scene on the show.

3. 13 monoceros4
    5 July 2013 at 7:36 pm

This is not one of my favorite episodes to watch and I’m not exactly sure why. There’s something just a bit “off” about it. I think it’s partly because, in order to make the joke (such as it is) work, everyone is way way more amused by and accommodating of Homer’s stupidity than seems entirely natural for the show. I mean, everyone chuckling at the end when Homer falls asleep at the funeral? Since when has anyone done something like that before except in this episode?

Were the writers trying to poke the show’s critics in the eye with this one, the same way that the “Poochie” episode was a flipped middle finger to anyone saying the show had gone downhill? I do remember a bit of grumbling at the time on Usenet that Homer seemed to be getting stupider and stupider. So finally the show gives us a face for that grumbling and it’s the sour, embittered, hostile face of Frank Grimes, surely one of the show’s most unpleasant one-off characters. I’m pretty sure that he was never meant to be the least bit sympathetic. Putting his name on his pencils? Walking about through life with the biggest ever chip on his shoulder? Blowing up at Homer in front of his whole family when they’ve just been trying to be nice to him? I don’t think Grimes was supposed to be taken as a normal guy. I think he was supposed to be taken as an exaggerated caricature of someone with zero sense of humor who needed to lighten up about Homer, just like how the Comic Book Guy and the other complainers in “Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie” were exaggerated caricatures of humorless nerds who needed to shut up and stop bitching about all the free entertainment they were getting.

• 14 RaikoLives
      5 July 2013 at 8:50 pm

I think the people chuckling about Homer being asleep at the funeral represent US laughing at Homer doing all the stupid things he’s done over the years, and Frank Grimes is people critical of the show. It’s satire, as opposed to parody, which the show does on a regular basis. The whole point is, I think, that the show needn’t be taken too seriously, or as some kind of role model that should influence our behaviour. The writers understand that Homer is a selfish, stupid moron who would have starved to death in the real world, but that’s not the point of the show. We’re here to laugh and be entertained, not to take Homer’s behaviour into the real world, which Grimes does with fatal consequences.

6 July 2013 at 9:03 am

I hardly find any caricature in Frank Grimes. That he’s not like any other Springfieldian – I agree. And what bad does he actually do to anyone besides himself? Bitch at Homer? Stage him up at a kids contest, then point at him and shout? Grimey’s intentions weren’t even to get Homer fired (which would’ve been a very logical move since we all know that Homer is very easily framed or taunted into doing something stupid), he just wanted him to suffer humiliation after so many things coming off easy for him in life. And like I say, it’s fully understandable, and not of this is genuinely bad.

Anonymous on Homeronymus Bosch