Oct

RIP: Marcia Wallace and Mrs. Krabappel

Bart the Lover12

“Bart, it’s such a nice day today, let’s have detention outside.” – Mrs. Krabappel

Sad news, Marcia Wallace, Mrs. Krabappel herself, died yesterday.  The cause was “complications from breast cancer”:

She would also build a second career as a voice-over actress, giving life to Edna Krabappel, Bart Simpson’s cynical and chain-smoking fourth grade teacher on “The Simpsons.” The role, a sublime parody of disaffected instruction, earned her an Emmy Award for Outstanding Voice-Over Performance in 1992. The show’s executive producer Al Jean said Saturday that the character would  be retired out of deference to Wallace’s death.

Good on Jean.  So long, Marcia.  We’ll miss you.

RIP Marcia Wallace

Left image shamelessly yoinked from The Wrap link above.  Right image, one final “Ha”.

26 Responses to “RIP: Marcia Wallace and Mrs. Krabappel”

1. 1 ian premise
    26 October 2013 at 6:20 pm

Horrible news, such a talented actress and voice artist. She brought so much depth to Mrs Krabappel, she WAS the character, absolutely perfect. ‘Bart Gets an F’, ‘Bart the Lover’, ‘The PTA Disbands’ and many more – her vocal performances were so rich, sad and funny, conveying Krabappel’s loneliness without making her pathetic, her frustration with but soft spot for Bart, her bitter but resilient nature. Her trademark “Ha!”.

“Class please, if you don’t learn Roman numerals you’ll never know the date certain motion pictures were copyrighted.”

RIP Marcia, you were amazing.

2. 2 FireFlower
    26 October 2013 at 6:21 pm

R.I.P Marcia.

R.I.P.. Marcia.

R.I.P. Marcia

3. 3 FireFlower
    26 October 2013 at 6:23 pm

Sorry, That was the computer’s fault.

26 October 2013 at 6:40 pm

At least she managed to live until 70. In Canada she’d have passed away at 56-57.
    Fucking cancer shit with people eating chemical mechanical crap they manufacture today. Also, too much sun in North America.

• 26 October 2013 at 9:45 pm

I am sorry to hear of her passing away, my condolences. RIP Marcia. She did great work on The Simpsons as Ms. K and as my friend Jeff pointed out, The Bob Newhart Show (he also said something about hoping she would be retired, he was right, I am glad they are retiring her, the show’s cast members sadly cannot live forever like cartoon characters.)

Also: Canada has the same stats as the US here I thought (except regarding guns and homicide) on cancer and other causes of illness and death.

5. 9 Zutroy
    26 October 2013 at 10:43 pm

RIP Marcia, thank you for being apart of the great comedy of all time. May The Simpsons not outlive anymore staff members.

6. 26 October 2013 at 11:00 pm

Terribly sad to hear of Marcia’s passing. Another classic Simpsons character retired! Mrs. Krabappel joins the ranks of Lionel Hutz, Dr. Marvin Monroe and Lunchlady Doris. Long may we remember her and how much better the show was when she was around.

7. 11 Joe H
    27 October 2013 at 2:06 am

Very sad news. Breast cancer is something I am no stranger to in my experience and is something I’m sensitive to compared to many of life’s other great tragedies.

A slight silver lining is that Al Jean apparently won’t zombify her character by having Tress McNeal do the voice in her stead, like with Lunchlady Doris. This leaves the series at a very awkward position (assuming there will be more produced). Ned Flanders just married Edna a few seasons ago, and I guess she’s going to have to “disappear” like Maude did, either die or leave never to be heard from again.

• 27 October 2013 at 10:54 am

They’ll probably restrict her to non-speaking background roles a la Hartman’s characters and not write any more stories centering around Bart in class.

27 October 2013 at 12:02 pm

A task impossible to do even from skilled writers. These lazy-asses will probably just cut her from the series, maybe pass a dull joke in their next “amazing” opening, and something other, and something else, but NEVER STOP THE FUCKING SHOW!

• 28 October 2013 at 1:21 am

Maybe she’ll end up in the background but I doubt the writers will stop having stories about Bart in class. (or if they do, they’ll just never have Edna speak) Maybe Bart will get a new teacher?

If they do decide to write her out directly, I’m wondering how they’ll do it. If they kill Edna off it would be kind of weird since Ned already lost a wife, but who knows?

28 October 2013 at 12:48 pm

I.M.O. it will go something like this:

1) Bart writing on the chalkboard during next ep’s opening something about Wallace pasisng away, either a joke on Edna or a memory phrase.
          2) Homer will eventually bring up something like “What do you mean Flanders can’t leave the kids at home? Oh yeah, right, Edna…” OR Flanders himself will make an allusion to it in the same ep or the following ones he’s supposed to be in OR they’ll just subtily start their ep at Edna’s funeral, with nobody saying anything about it.
          3) Bart will get another teacher.OR
          4) They kill Bart in Season 26 so you don’t have to have these scenes no longer.

• 28 October 2013 at 2:04 pm

It takes months to produce an episode but maybe the chalkboard gag or something in the credits or even an episode can be done. Anyway Stan I think you could be a writer for The Simpsons. Your ideas are good!

8. 27 October 2013 at 2:51 am

Sad news. Farewell Marcia, thankyou for everything. Goodbye Edna, I can’t imagine the Simpsons without you.

(Perhaps it’s time to retire all characters…)

• 27 October 2013 at 9:51 pm

The show will eventually come to an end Renee… Then all the characters will have to retire! Have to walk to Walgreens now, but before I go a legend is dead. Sam Simon will follow suit eventually. And others.

9. 27 October 2013 at 5:38 am

Christ. I had no idea she was seventy. Figures.

Rest in peace.

10. 28 October 2013 at 12:11 am

And now Lou Reed is dead. This has been a sad weekend for me.

• 25 D.N.
      28 October 2013 at 6:30 pm

As a longtime Lou Reed fan, I have to say, Lou was top of my list of performers I’d not seen live that I wanted to see. Sad that he’s gone now.

11. 26 Frank
    30 October 2013 at 2:51 pm

Any time I hear the wind blow it will whisper the name Edna. And so let us part with a love that will echo through the ages.

Anonymous on Makeup Quote of the Day