Nov

Behind Us Forever: YOLO (<- Yes, They Actually Called It That.)

Chalkboard - YOLO

“There is just one dance that will beat them, the Tango de la Muerte.” – Eduardo
“Only one man was crazy enough to dance that dance, and he is dead!” – Lisabella
“My twin brother, Freduardo!  But where he died, I shall live . . . in his apartment.” – Eduardo

Woof, this episode is awful.  The A-plot consists of little more than a series of montages with “Eduardo”, Homer’s flat, characterless Spanish guardian angel.  The B-plot involves Lisa creating an honor code which everyone except Bart follows for some reason, then she tears out some of her hair for some other reason.  It ends when Homer, in a magic wingsuit, lands on Bart.  Homer is injured, Bart appears to be okay.  It’s weird.

– The couch gag is kinda clever and timely (for once), but it shows how one dimensional their thinking is that they have to have Homer crash through the ceiling for no real reason.

– Is Milhouse supposed to be hitting puberty?  Hayden has a really hard time doing the voice now.

– Ditto Kavner and Marge.

– They opened the exposition sluice gate early this week: "I’m so glad you’re happy with your life just the way it is.  You’ve had the same job, same car, same house for twenty years, and that’s all you’ll ever have.  A cycle you’ll never ever ever ever ever change, and you’re okay with it.  Like I say, night after night after night, nighty-night."  Everybody got that?

– Nice touch on playing the Mr. Sparkle song for Skinner’s Japanese website.

– What’s with the hidden camera in Skinner’s bedroom?

– Montage!

– Oh good, we’re getting manic depressive Jerkass Homer this week.

– Aww, Marcia Wallace.

– I get that having Chalmers scold Lisa for not solving their cheating problem quicker is a nod to how utterly disconnected from reality this show has become, but it doesn’t change the fact that school assemblies used to be both less insane and funnier.

– Did they intend to give this guy the same name as the one from the Tango de la Muerte in Season 11, or was it just coincidence?  And where’s Freduardo when you need him?

– If you’re going to bring back a Llewellyn Sinclair type with Lovitz as the voice, you could at least give us a scene of him directing a play.

– Chalmers, speaking for the audience, "Can’t you say anything in a normal way?"

– Uh, why is Flanders hanging around outside the Simpson house?

– They’re even bigger on weird asides this week than usual.  I struggle to even comprehend the thinking behind Willie doing the shifty eyes thing.

– You know, there’s nothing terrible about "Lisa designs an honor code" in theory.  But the execution here is nonsensical to the point that even if the jokes were anything more than sitcom-y punchlines they still wouldn’t land.  They have Lisa discover Bart cheating by mistaking his backpack for hers (whatever x1), only noticing after she’s at school (whatever x2) and then conveniently finding all of his tests in a row (whatever x3) before expositing the obvious fact that honor codes would be easy for someone like Bart to exploit (whatever x4).

– I should’ve known there’d be a wingsuit montage.

– And we conclude the pointless cheating plot by having the A-plot literally crash land into it.  Jebus these episodes are sloppily put together.

– So, Eduardo was staying with them?

Anyway, the ratings are in and they are holy shit bad.  Last night just 4.27 million people wasted a half hour from the only life they get.  That’s good for sixth lowest all time, and the demographic numbers are going heavily south as well:

On FOX, The Simpsons notched a  1.9 adults 18-49 rating, down 21 percent from last week’s  2.4.

And last week wasn’t exactly something to crow about.

29 Responses to “Behind Us Forever: YOLO (<- Yes, They Actually Called It That.)”

1. 1 FireFlower
    11 November 2013 at 2:00 pm

They are not scrapping the bottom of the barrel for ideas…they are digging UNDER the barrel.

• 11 November 2013 at 11:09 pm

To yoink a line from the late Roger Ebert: “This isn’t the bottom of the barrel, this isn’t below the bottom of the barrel, this doesn’t deserve to mentioned in the same sentence with barrels.”

2. 3 Tom S. Fox
    11 November 2013 at 2:41 pm

So, the tallest building in Springfield is right behind Springfield Elementary?

• 4 Joe H
      11 November 2013 at 3:25 pm

Looks like that’s their idea of “dove-tailing” the two plots, no matter how forced.

That whole bit with Homer running into that building was a pretty desperate Homer in pain gag that really almost showed how little they cared about the main theme of the A-plot. What’s the point of saying “you only live once” and vainly attempt serious emotion if you endure and survive what should have been certain death in any series attempting to emulate reality by falling back on cartoon logic, by literally not having scratch on him or any remotely serious injury despite falling some 500 feet and supposedly faster than the speed of sound (right, from falling from a building…)

Seems like the show often wants to be a full cartoon like Family Guy, but only really does it in lieu of attempting to write a more logical or witty solution.

• 5 Monty Python Forever
      14 November 2013 at 3:58 pm

You mean before or after the giant magnifying glass burned down the matchstick tower, and does the escalator to nowhere count?

3. 6 Joe H
    11 November 2013 at 3:09 pm

There’s also a horribly flogged joke with Skinner fainting. After everyone starts cheering and Skinner coincidentally comes to to bask in the audience support, he says “I did it. I saved the day!” Of course the writers don’t stop there , with Skinner continuing “The same way I won that battle in Vietnam…by FAINTING!”

Now even excusing that transparent attempt at trolling the 7 people that still expect inter-episode continuity after “Principal and the Pauper,” they really couldn’t help spelling out how Skinner saved the day, could they?

And to people (young or otherwise) still say “yolo” anymore. Seems like one of those “guess what today’s youth is saying now” moments that got 5 minutes of attention on CNN before scarcely being heard of again, a fleeting and limited use meme.

4. 8 Rob K.
    11 November 2013 at 4:58 pm

The Simpsons these days = pig manure…

5. 11 November 2013 at 6:12 pm

wow that was even boring that I thought!

6. 11 November 2013 at 7:39 pm

Really… what the smeg were they thinking naming an episode “YOLO”. They couldn’t even make a (pathetic) pun or something, they just named an episode “YOLO”. Nice attempt to stay relevant, Jean & Co.

By the way… 4.27 Million people, and a 1.9 Rating in the “Nuts and Gum” demographic. Ladies and gentlemen, we might have but a season and a half left of Zombie Simpsons to endure! If the ratings keep going like this, FOX IS sending this to the guillotine! It might be 16 years too late, but damn it, it’s better than never!

7. 18 FireFlower
    11 November 2013 at 10:12 pm

We can only hope the falling ratings will FINALLY let Fox cancel the damn show!

8. 19 Jeff
    12 November 2013 at 12:49 am

How many pen pals did Homer have?

“Some day I’ll write you back, Osama.”

9. 12 November 2013 at 6:30 pm

Yes, Marge is indeed supposed to be hitting puberty

13 November 2013 at 1:00 pm

lol 17 comments? None of them even close to positive?
    Err and you still watch it why exactly?

BTW “yolo”? A term? Like GTFO? I am fluent in English since approx 2000 and never ever heard of it in use.

• 13 November 2013 at 2:53 pm

I didn’t watch it. Why would I do that?

As for “yolo,” it’s an acronym meaning “You Only Live Once.” It became popular in the summer of 2012 following its usage in Drake’s song “The Motto” and became a catchphrase to justify stupid behavior. I f you aren’t familiar with the phrase…I seriously envy you. Here’s a little more about it:

• 23 Joe H
        13 November 2013 at 7:12 pm

Seems like one of those flash in the pan L337 speak memes that didn’t get any real mileage over the past year. I’ve never seen anyone use that term on the internet or Facebook myself, and I like to think I’m reasonably internet savvy.

Seems like another case of the Simpsons being behind the bell curve of popularity (if it ever was considered popular in the first place), though at least in this case it’s “only” one year which is good by ZS standards.

• 13 November 2013 at 8:55 pm

Yeah, after that summer, people wised up and stopped using the phrase though it still gets used every now and then.

14 November 2013 at 12:48 pm

The only way I really see it being in my mind is when “cool” people text shit to each other.
            Just to give you a quick preview of my insanity, I scorn Microsoft for the use of informal language in its new products. “don’t”, “it’s” and “stuff” are not the words that I would ever want to see a program use, because programs are programs, or applications, but not “apps”. That is hipster talk.

14 November 2013 at 12:50 pm

Don’t envy me, really. I’m completely immune to most viral videos, talk and products. Marketers hate me for that.
        Thanks for the explanation, though.

• 14 November 2013 at 4:54 pm

I feel that almost since it started catching on, the term “YOLO” has only been used ironically.

11. 13 November 2013 at 9:55 pm

I was going to watch this episode because I had finished all my school assignments and had nothing else to do while waiting for American Dad to come on (shut up) and I wanted to see how Zombie Simpsons had gone since I stopped watching, but my TV kept crapping out and doing the loud static thing, and even hitting it REALLY hard didn’t help. I wonder if my TV was trying to tell me something.

On that note, I HATE the term “yolo”. I hang out in an online writers forum and once in a while we get people asking us to critique their work. When we actually do so they say (usually in response to criticisms of bad grammar/spelling) “yolo”. I quickly grew to associate the word as being an excuse to be stupid.

Ryan on Quote of the Day