Jan

The Otto Show14

“That’s it, he’s out of here!” – Homer Simpson
“Homer, we’re the only family he’s got.” – Marge Simpson
“I don’t care.  This is not Happy Days and he is not the Fonz.” – Homer Simpson
“Hey, Mister S.” – Otto

28 January 2014 at 9:51 am

From that to having Otto and Homer getting stoned off pot in the basement just a few seasons later… tsk tsk tsk.

2. 4 Rembrandt Q. Einstein
    28 January 2014 at 10:01 am

How the hell did Otto get down the stairs so quickly?

3. 7 Rembrandt Q. Einstein
    28 January 2014 at 10:34 am

Here’s a request for you, Charlie Sweatpants.

I want you to write another post dealing with the people who insist that the show is getting better. Here’s an example of one of those posts from TVTropes (although it is from 2010):

“They’re also toning down Jerkass Homer and making him back into the lovable oafish family man :D rather than the uncaring narcissist :(”

That makes no sense at all, as, when that post was written, three episodes of Season 22 had aired (Elementary School Musical, Loan-a Lisa and MoneyBART) and none of them really had him being a “lovable oafish family man”. To be perfectly honest, I thought the ending of the Season 17 episode “See Homer Run” was quite sweet and touching, even though Homer was a huge asshole at the start of that episode. He’s also a fairly nice person in “HOMR”, “The Dad Who Knew Too Little”, “I D’ohbot” and “Fat Man and Little Boy”, all of which aired between early 2001 and late 2004. He is far nicer in those episodes than he is in the three Season 22 episodes that I’m supposed to find as evidence that he’s becoming more likable. For instance, in the Season 23 episode “Politically Inept”, he’s a raving lunatic, constantly yelling, screaming and generally being a pain in the ass. There’s even a “joke” in that episode where he says that he bad-mouthed Bart to a girl he liked at school for seemingly no reason. What a great guy, huh?

Now don’t get me wrong. I know Homer was never a great person. I just think that it’s a totally nonsensical thing to say that they’re “toning down Jerkass Homer” when in fact, he’s more annoying than ever nowadays. That’s why I want you to do another post responding to the people who insist that the show is getting better. Yes, I know you already did one four years ago. But in my opinion, the plague of people who insist that ZS is out of its’ rut is more widespread than ever nowadays.

• 8 Joe H
      28 January 2014 at 12:26 pm

Wouldn’t it be nice if “jerk-ass Homer” was the only problem this show had? That was more of a Scully-era issue, back over a decade ago when it seemed possible to get the show back on track and salvage its reputation.

It’s just apathy and laziness in almost every facet of the show now. It might still be decent by the modern standards of television, but that hardly means it’s good. Who cares if other people have low standards for the show?

28 January 2014 at 2:04 pm

Jerkass Homer was actually present from as early as Season 3 or 4 in the show. People who base their arguments on saying that as soon as Homer is less jerkass the show would get better are by definition off the fucking tracks. The show really has much more serious problems than a certain character acting bullshit haywire, especially if that part is already covered by Peter Griffin in FG.

Why doesn’t mr. Einstein here write an essay about how he thinks the show is not beyond redemption in his p.o.v., and why in the name of fuck must we all care. I mean a year or so ago during summer there were a couple of pretty decent posts from the folks bringing up arguments about it, some even interesting. I mean, if this blog shits on ZS – coming here only to add some more compost to the fan isn’t really a solution, unless you’re a coprophage.

• 28 January 2014 at 2:57 pm

The thing is, from season 3 to 9, Homer’s more jerkass moments still had him in a realistic manner. Sure, Homer was ignorant and selfish from day 1, but it was more of an “average joe” type jerkass. Come season 10, Homer becomes not only an unrealistic jerkass, but also a borderline Mary Sue for the writers fantasies (meeting celebrities and working with the aforementioned celebrities).

Honestly, though, a more Jerkass version of Homer would not have been criticised as harshly as it has been if the overall writing quality didn’t simultaneously cave in.

• 11 Rembrandt Q. Einstein
          28 January 2014 at 3:24 pm

Wait, what? Did you even read my post? I was criticizing ZS and it’s fans, not praising it!

28 January 2014 at 3:45 pm

Yes, well, since you’re asking the same thing of Charlie, why don’t you yourself prove worthwhile to the community? Convince me why I should start watching Season 25 again, or just get lost as you’re neither better nor worse than me in that case.

Because if you think likewise, then you have no right to come here and criticize the words of any of us. If you’re “requesting” someone to do something, then you must definitely have your own p.o.v. and are looking to argue about it. Therefore, I’m only asking that you illustrate that p.o.v. to us first.

Unless Charlie does respond to your request, of course, which is completely out of my power (I’m starting to miss him b.t.w.).

• 13 Rembrandt Q. Einstein
              28 January 2014 at 7:07 pm

The reason I want him to do the post I suggested is because I agree with the point of it, not because I want to argue, which I don’t.

Boourns on Quote of the Day