Mar

Itchy and Scratchy and Marge16

“Take a letter, Miss White.  Dear valued viewer, thank you for taking an interest in the Itchy and Scratchy program.  Enclosed is a personally autographed photo of America’s favorite cat and mouse team to add to your collection.  In regards to your specific comments about the show, our research indicates that one person cannot make a difference, no matter how big a screwball she is.  So let me close by saying . . .” – Roger Meyers Jr.
“And the horse I rode in on?  I’ll show them what one screwball can do!” – Marge Simpson

Happy birthday Alex Rocco!  (Well, he’s a Leap Day baby, but close enough.)

1. 1 March 2014 at 3:13 pm

Wait, I coulda sworn Danny DeVito did his voice. Nope, my bad, that was Herb Powell.

2. 1 March 2014 at 8:11 pm

I am just curious. I didn’t get the joke near the end of the letter (the spanish translation is different) “and the horse I rode on” what does it mean exactly?

3. 6 RaikoLives
    2 March 2014 at 4:27 am

Was Roger Meyers Jr supposed to be based on anyone specific? Obviously there’s a classic Disney vibe from his dad, but I don’t know my animation history well enough to know if Roger Jr is an allegory for someone else.

Infer from this, also, that I respect you guys enough to believe/know you DO know your animation history well enough to know this. Or at least your SImpsons trivia.

• 7 Joe H
      2 March 2014 at 3:13 pm

A guy like Roger Meyers Jr would normally not even attempt to buck TV censorship codes and focus on commercializing the franchise, but I guess the TV station Krusty’s show was broadcast on has unusually loose restrictions for the time period or the local viewers didn’t mind until moral crusader Marge stirred the pot.

• 8 jordan
        2 March 2014 at 4:51 pm

Dude… you think too much and or/hard

• 10 RaikoLives
        2 March 2014 at 6:21 pm

Wow, thanks! I’m glad I wasn’t missing some giant meta point about him being a specific person for all these years then. And yeah, I guess he followed an “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” policy after he inherited the studio from his dad.

• 11 Rob K.
        2 March 2014 at 6:49 pm

Meyers, Roger Jr.:

Disney CEO Mike Eisner.
        amalgam of B-movie directors/producers Roger Corman and Russ Meyer. {am}
        Richard Goldwater, president of Archie Comics Publications, Inc. and son of creator John Goldwater. {js}

• 12 Rob K.
        2 March 2014 at 6:49 pm

Hate those CEO’s in Robocop btw.

• 13 Residents Fan
        3 March 2014 at 7:48 am

“No, he’s just based on the selfish ’80s Hollywood CEO who happens to run a “classic” cartoon studio for television. Though Itchy and Scratchy were mostly an anachronism since the time period “Itchy and Scratchy and Marge” takes place had pretty sanitized cartoons and the cute & cuddly versions they become later on in the episode was pretty much what was considered acceptable children’s entertainment.”

While I &S were a parody of Chuck Jones/Tom and Jerry, the actual company behind
        them is obviously a swipe at the House of Mouse.

Of course the irony is, shortly after the Simpsons appeared, shows like “South Park”,
        “Family Guy” and “Happy Tree Friends” started dealing out the same gruesome
        comedy that I&S did, and within the main show as well.

4. 14 Rob K.
    2 March 2014 at 6:16 pm

I’m reminded of one of those vending machines in Bioshock and Bioshock 2, in the above pic.

Ryan on Quote of the Day