Mar

Behind Us Forever: Diggs & The Man Who Grew Too Much

Diggs and Man Who Grew Too Much Chalkboard

“Grasping the child firmly in his talons, Socrates here will fly him to safety.  Just watch . . . I don’t think he’s coming back.” – Falconry Guy

First we got a nice long break from Zombie Simpsons, and then they made their triumphant return by dropping two great big steaming piles back-to-back.  The first one, “Diggs”, is among the more tone deaf episodes I can recall in a while.  It’s about a mentally ill kid who likes falcons and then gets hauled off to a loony bin for the rest of his life.  They play it for sad, but it’s so stupid and nonsensical that I couldn’t register anything more than bemusement.

The second was a Sideshow Bob episode where he’s a scientist.  In a turn that nobody could or should have seen coming, he’s also a genetically enhanced superman who throws himself off a dam for some reason.  Plus there were a bunch of teenagers in a church abstinence program that made no sense for them to be in.  They also briefly fought Sideshow Bob for some other reason.

– The couch gag, by Sylvain Chomet (a/k/a the Triplets of Belleville guy), was kinda interesting and managed to eat 60 seconds.  It’s all gonna be downhill from here.

– They should’ve made the couch gag longer.  The first two scenes, one in church the other a montage of Homer asking Bart to repay his $20, were pure filler.

– And now Bart is eating things for money, including a dead frog that Jimbo just happened to have on the playground.  Does any of this make sense?  Of course not!  It doesn’t even make sense within this scene, as Jimbo comes along offering Bart the full $20 he needs, making the rest of it pointless.

– Okay, having the Potter boy says “Habemus Papam” after the falcon craps was kinda funny.

– But is immediately followed by a Quahog style quick cut to Homer yelling at the dog to sit.

– “I wasn’t drinking, I was learning that nature isn’t a complete waste of space”, “That doesn’t sound like you”, “But it does sound like the kind of lie you’d make up after the first time you got blitzed”.  Telling us what we just saw, then telling us what we already know, and then returning to a joke that had already gone on way too long.  It’s hard to imagine how the writing on this should could get any worse.

– And how about some falconry montage?  Hey, at least there’s no dialogue!

– That’s right, Krusty’s just standing out in a field without his nose.  Carry on.

– Nice of the kid to just leap off the tree and get the plot moving.

– Why is Homer caring for the bird?  Better question: why am I asking?

– “I never heard of this new hospital, so I looked it up and printed it out” – Ah, there’s the pointless exposition that had been absent for almost twenty seconds.

– They’re really being weird about the fact that the kid is going to a mental hospital.  Like, that’s where their story is sending them, but they won’t even mention what it is at this dinner table scene.  It’s idiocy through a weird combination of sensitivity and insensitivity.

– “I obtained the pass to enter the Springfield falconry contest, which is what Freedom and I were training for when we first met you.” – This one sentence neatly encapsulates the entire mess that is this episode.  This comes with less than three minutes to go, but is the first mention of the “falconry contest” that makes up the ending.  It requires a nonsensical “one day pass” from the mental institute to which they haphazardly committed this (apparently parent-less) kid.  And it negates pretty much everything we’ve seen with this kid up to this point since none of it had any bearing on what he wanted to do.

–  The falcons are free.  And now he’s going back to the mental institute . . . on his bike which he has for some reason.

– And then Milhouse appears from nowhere to try and salvage the uber-downer of an ending.

What a complete and utter mess of an episode, and even they knew it.  (Why else would they dump it at 7:30?)  They got themselves in way over their heads with the lonesome schizophrenic kid, sent him to a nut house, then had to walk back their own story to wrap things up.  Meanwhile, Bart went through a wide range of short term emotions that also made no sense.  Then it ends with the family at dinner eating duck as the big pre-credits joke . . . which leads back to the sad piano music they played over the doomed and now incarcerated kid.  I don’t know what that was supposed to be, and I’m not sure they did either.  Whatever, it’s time for round two:

– A short couch gag, haven’t seen that in a while.

– So Taco Tuesday comes every week but kills Willie?  Remember when the stampede was just for PE signup day?

– This is the last episode with Marcia Wallace’s voice.  They give her a nice send off at the end, showing her happy with Ned.  I can’t be the only one who finds that completely spoiled by having Lunchlady Doris voice some utterly unnecessary lines at the beginning.

– “Helen Lovejoy is posting the spring volunteer sign up sheet, in five minutes every good task will be taken.” – Maybe they did remember PE signup day.  They certainly remembered “tell the audience what’s happening” day.

– Thrill to the crossing the street scene!

– There is no plausible reason for these kids to be in a church abstinence program.  But these are the teenagers they have in the cast, so in the abstinence program they shall be.

– Since we’re apparently feeling the loss of dead cast members in this one, this fake YouTube video really could’ve used Phil Hartman.  It’d still probably be bad, but it wouldn’t be this bad.

– It really is too much to ask for a single scene to make sense.  After the video, Lisa wants to run off to do research on a topic that she knew enough to call a PTA meeting about?  The mind reels.

– That GMO buffet went nice and quick.

– I don’t remember which episode it was that had people’s faces falling off, but it sure deserved a callback.

– Why would Marge think finger puppets(!) would help explain things to teenagers?

– Now Homer’s at the abstinence meeting for some reason.

– Hey, a plot point just literally fell on Lisa only to have Sideshow Bob demonstrate his superhuman strength by saving her.

– Bob tossed off his concrete block now instead of earlier because . . .?

– “And we’re scared of that because . . . “, then Bob explains.  Whew.

– They’re on top of a dam now.  No idea why, but they are.

– “We’re here to stop you” is Marge’s line right as she and the teens pull up from nowhere to confront Bob.  (Well, Marge pulls up in the car, the teens just appear.)  It’s expository and nonsensical, so at least that fits with the rest of the episode.  Everything else about the ending?  Not so much.

– Bob just jumped off the dam, remembered he had gills, and stepped on a rake underwater.  I’ve said this before and I’ll probably say it again, but this is fan service at the lowest common denominator.

In that interview with Jean I linked on Friday, he mentioned why they don’t do more Sideshow Bob episodes:

“I’m really, really careful about approving new Sideshow Bob episodes, because I think every one of them is so special, and I never want to feel like we’re burning the character out,”

You made him a genetic superman with fucking gills!  Could some reporter on his next conference call ask him what “burning the character out” would look like?  Would he have to become a cyborg?  Travel to another dimension?  What’s left?

Anyway, the ratings are in and they are the worst ever, both of them.  The awkward and unwatchable mental kid episode at 7:30 had just 2.65 million viewers wonder why he didn’t have any parents.  The Sideshow-Bob-Has-Superpowers-Now episode made just 3.73 million viewers wonder what they hell they just watched.  That’s good for places #1 and #2 on the all time least watched list.

59 Responses to “Behind Us Forever: Diggs & The Man Who Grew Too Much”

10 March 2014 at 6:26 pm

Um, Charlie, out of curiosity… Could you provide the total ratings of the Season so far? It’s not on the website you link to (or maybe I’m that blind). Thanks.

• 10 March 2014 at 7:13 pm

After doing the calculations (correct me if i’m wrong) the average for all 13 episodes is 5.825 million viewers overall. Season 24 got an average of 5.41 million viewers. With the past three episodes netting less than 4 million each (and “Diggs” getting less than 3 million), barring a MASSIVE viewer increase (which would require an unprecedented jump in quality and/or interest), this season is going to defenestrate season 24 as the lowest-watched season in history. It MIGHT even press FOX’s treatment of the show over the edge.

10 March 2014 at 7:50 pm

Ok. TY
        Before I used to think 3 millions would finally nair their coffin, but now… They might yet salvage their numbers with that LEGO finale, although the heck am I watching this.

• 4 Charlie Sweatpants
        10 March 2014 at 10:08 pm

Yeah, my spreadsheet has this season’s average at 5.80. Always remember though, that the real numbers that matter are the demographics, which were also horrible this week but which remain relatively better than the topline number would indicate. Winter episodes always being notably lower than Fall ones, I’ll be surprised if it doesn’t end up lower than Season 24 overall.

10 March 2014 at 6:39 pm

Also, that Jean’s quote sounds suspiciously akin to saying: “We are working hard on the show, the best is yet to come. You just wait!”.

3. 6 Rob K.
    10 March 2014 at 6:55 pm

There was already a Simpsons episode with Bob that took place with him on a dam! It had Cecil in it as well, from several seasons ago and hand puupets? King of the Hill comes to mind.

10 March 2014 at 7:51 pm

Ah dam it! You’re right!

• 10 March 2014 at 8:36 pm

Yes and I believe it was the last appearance of Bob in the halcyon days. It was a fitting end because Bob had redeemed himself and finally forgave Bart for framing him oh so many season ago.

• 9 Jeff
      10 March 2014 at 10:23 pm

Yes, I thought they were deliberately referencing that at first. But then they didn’t have exposition explaining that this was that same dam, so it is probably just a coincidence.

Speaking of King of the Hill, they had an episode where Dale gets a falcon.

4. 10 Rob K.
    10 March 2014 at 6:56 pm

Zombie Simpsons is dying.

10 March 2014 at 7:51 pm

It can’t die, it’s zombie.

• 12 Rob K.
        10 March 2014 at 8:33 pm

I’ve watched too many Zombie movies, used to seeing them shot and killed through other various (and sometimes creative) means and methods!

10 March 2014 at 9:01 pm

Well, this is what I (and those who don’t watch it like me) am doing right now – killing the goddamn zombie. Because it seemingly won’t die on its own.

5. 14 RaikoLives
    10 March 2014 at 7:09 pm

2.6 and 3.7? That’s TERRIBLE! Did they put it on the wrong channel or something? Even for ZS that’s bad! (obviously, since they’re #1 and #2)

I wonder what kind of ratings they’d get if they just started putting classic episodes on in the same slot…

• 10 March 2014 at 7:16 pm

I’d say a solid 6 million each in the 8:00 slot, 3.5 million in the 7:30 slot.

In fact, it makes a bit of sense to re-run the first 10 seasons. Reduced labour costs, plus more viewer interest due to most of the episodes being good (and not ageing that badly), will equal somewhat more ad interest, leading to big fat cheques for the FOX network.

• 16 Sarah J
        10 March 2014 at 11:27 pm

Does anyone have any idea why the older episodes are rarely rerun? Seriously, this is even an issue in some areas at the local level. I really can’t figure out why networks seem reluctant to show the older ones, even though pretty much anyone who has seen them considers them superior to the newer episodes. It’s also worth noting that on Amazon, you can purchase digital versions of some episodes… But only seasons 1-3, and then seasons 20-25, and a couple of collections like “best episodes”. Same applies to iTunes. There’s obviously something going on.

Maybe they’re trying to get people to buy the DVDs? Old Simpsons is considered one of the greatest TV shows of all time. Getting people to buy DVDs, especially when they have no other (legal) way to watch the good episodes, shouldn’t be too difficult.

But I’m still convinced that there’s some kind of conspiracy where FOX wants to avoid airing the older episodes so people forget how much better the show was. I haven’t seen any of the older episodes in years, and began to hate the show entirely, and until I started reading this blog, I forgot that the show was ever good. Reading everything on this site brought back memories… Anyway, I rather doubt FOX is intentionally doing that, but still. If they started airing reruns on their main network, or on FX, I would watch it religiously.

Maybe Charlie Sweatpants should do an entry on this topic? I can’t figure it out myself.

10 March 2014 at 11:48 pm

That would never be an issue for me, and I know I’m not alone. Just watching them online on the internet, and please don’t tell me that if doing so would disgrace the show. I have the right not to pay for something I wouldn’t consider paying for, and The Simpsons is definitely not my ultra mega favorite show of all time.

But if there is such conspiracy, then it’s just plain stupid. It’s always about the money, money, money with them. How much cash we win, how much cash we lose, yada-yada… FUCK YOU JERKS, in 100 years we’ll all be dust and bones, who would care about some millions here or there?! Capitalist pigs!

…oh, sorry. I derived.

• 18 Charlie Sweatpants
          11 March 2014 at 8:20 pm

As I recall, FOX can’t legally rerun episodes more than one or two seasons old. The syndication contract, which was signed back in 1992 or whatever, stipulates that the network won’t reduce the value of the ones in syndication by rerunning them. When Michael Jackson died, they had to go through some big legal rigmarole to put “Start Raving Dad” on FOX itself. Pretty sure they did the same when Elizabeth Taylor died. Once episodes are in the syndication pool, the individual stations can run them however they like, so there’s no real rhyme or reason to it.

As for the digital episodes on Amazon, I have no idea. I’ll bet those all get pulled when they start rerunning them on FXX later this year and open whatever heavily DRM’d streaming app they’re planning. But I haven’t seen any news.

• 19 Sarah J
            12 March 2014 at 6:41 pm

Ah, that’s pretty interesting. I suppose since the main network doesn’t air the show more than once a week, they don’t really have the time to air older reruns of a show with over 500 episodes.

I’ve been really unlucky with local stations that air reruns. Wherever I go, I keep getting stuck with networks that insist on airing only the recent episodes. Sometimes they’d air the older ones for special occasions or holidays, but they stopped that after a while. After I moved out of my parent’s place, their FOX station started airing the good episodes again. Oy…

6. 20 Hannah
    10 March 2014 at 7:18 pm

The scheduling has become odd. According to Wikipedia they’re going on hiatus for the whole of April as well.

• 21 Charlie Sweatpants
      10 March 2014 at 10:18 pm

If you’re referring to this . . .

. . . I wouldn’t put too much stock in there not being any April episodes. The last three seasons have all been 22 episodes, and this week’s were only #12 and #13 on the year, so they’ve got nine more to go between now and the end of May. Skipping April just isn’t in the cards.

They’ve got a couple of big episodes already announced for May sweeps (the Lego one and the Futurama crossover), so those get put into Wikipedia a lot sooner than “normal” episodes would. That’s why there’s a gap there right now.

• 22 Tom S. Fox
      11 March 2014 at 8:22 am

The reason they don’t list any April episodes is that they haven’t been announced yet.

7. 23 Joe H
    10 March 2014 at 7:19 pm

That bit with Bob losing his face was that dreadful “The Bob Next Door” episode that was based on the gimmick from the movie Face/Off.

In retrospect, they both were pretty terrible episodes that hardly made any sense. Real stream of conscious writing and boring for the most part.

You didn’t mention one of the stupidest parts of Bob’s plan, that whole “Genes of Genius” display that randomly had DNA of George Washington, Albert Einstein, and Florence Nightengale (and Homo Erectus?). They had George Washington’s spine on display because it was special for some reason? And he and Florence Nightingale are considered geniuses?

Though they’re hard to see, the funnies parts were the freeze frame “fun facts” (Florence Nightingale – Fun Facts: None) but definitely not worth the stupidity.

Above all else, they have Bob as a superhuman mutant by the end of the episode who can breath underwater. How the hell can they salvage the character after that?? Not even Springfield’s maximum security prison can possibly hold him now. Why not just kill Bob at this point instead of making him into something out of THOH?

10 March 2014 at 7:59 pm

“The Bob Next Door” was bearably watchable by me. I mean, the idea was not that bad, Face Off clone or not. But once again they completely ruined it with about 1/4 of it being useless exposition on how both men changed their faces, with stupid lady pulling stitches, and Bob escaping the prison using slapstick comedy instead of witty legal system flaws, as he did last couple times. Overall back at the time when it aired, I could still hold myself to watch these half-hour atrocities, although I was doing it solely to see how far could that go. Then they pushed it over the edge of morality for me and I just couldn’t watch.

And I wouldn’t be surprised a bit if, with the show living past this season, then would eventually shove Bob in an episode where nothing has seemingly happened to him, and think to make a joke out of his story of how he normalized himself in the past. If then sank so low, then why not sink even lower, right?

• 25 Jeff
      10 March 2014 at 10:16 pm

I knew the scene with Bob’s face falling off was a reference to a previous episode, but I didn’t remember the details, and I still don’t know why it was referenced here. I wonder what viewers who didn’t see that episode were thinking. (Apparently DC comics did a story where Joker cuts off his face and then sews it back on for some reason. Maybe people will assume its a reference to that.)

• 26 Brad M
        10 March 2014 at 11:41 pm

Also, imagine how weird the end of this episode would be to a child who is unaware that Edna’s voice actress died recently… (I know that when I was an 8 year old discovering The Simpsons, I had no idea who did which voices, nor did it really matter to me.)

• 27 Joe H
        11 March 2014 at 12:22 am

I guess they just had to rub it into the viewer’s face just how stupid that plot was (swapping faces). Not the concept, but how ZS handled it. That one was also very THOH-like.

• 28 RaikoLives
        12 March 2014 at 8:08 pm

Joker never sewed it back on. He wore it as a mask for a while, but its now in the hands of someone else.

Just fyi.

8. 29 FireFlower
    10 March 2014 at 8:53 pm

Wow! Those ratings are BAD! Any other show would be canceled with numbers like those!

I am so glad I did not waste my time watching them. Bart makes friends with a mentally disturbed boy and Bob has superpowers. *SIGH*

9. 10 March 2014 at 8:57 pm

What were Homer, Lenny & Carl doing outside the plant and, furthermore, why the hell would they’ve been allowed on school property while it was being attended? Is ‘Taco Day’ really such a big event that the whole town knows about it?

10. 31 Brad M
    10 March 2014 at 9:44 pm

Has a famous actor ever publicly refused an offer to guest star on Zombie Simpsons, on account of it being an awful show?

11. 10 March 2014 at 10:00 pm

The ratings aren’t that important because Fox still makes money from merchandising and syndication. I think something major has to happen for Fox to finally pull the plug. My guess is the show will end when either the cast demands too much money or someone irreplaceable dies like a Dan Castellaneta. Which means rather than getting an incredible series finale like Futurama (which got two great ones) it will just cease to be.
    That actually seems like the most fitting end to ZS.

10 March 2014 at 10:54 pm

Shearer seems to be the oldest of the gang, but he leads a pretty healthy lifestyle, so I wouldn’t bet on it yet.

• 39 Sarah J
      10 March 2014 at 11:36 pm

I’m curious, how necessary are new episodes for merchandising? None of the merchandise I’ve seen, outside of Tapped Out, really acknowledge anything from recent episodes. It’s always the classic main cast wearing their classic clothes.

At this point, I kind of doubt that an irreplaceable death would be enough to end the show. Most of the hardcore, obsessive fans have stopped watching. Most of the Zombie Simpsons viewers are probably younger people who have lower standards of quality, and haven’t seen as much of the older episodes and as such don’t really realize how much better it used to be. Those types of viewers don’t have the fandom-style level of dedication/obsession and as such don’t really have much attachment to the voice cast. If Dan died and got replaced, the viewers probably wouldn’t complain unless the replacement’s voice was too different.

If I was a writer for The Simpsons and had to write the final script for the show, I’d do something crazy like having it turn out the whole thing was a fantasy or a coma dream or something. Because at that point, who cares how the show ends?

• 40 Rob K.
        10 March 2014 at 11:43 pm

Well said Sarah!

10 March 2014 at 11:58 pm

ZS acquired the viewers they respectfully deserve. They had their chances, yet they lost everybody. Like, I don’t even live in the U.S., 10 years ago for me was hard to understand everything the characters were saying, 15 ago I always had the c.c. on… But they even managed to lose me, and if an American poptard like me has ever clinged to it, then I can’t imagine how painful it must be to still convince yourself to watch it when you live in that country and you can actually associate the characters with RL counterparts.

Today’s viewers are garbage, because if they’re watching whatever they’re being shown on the teevee, then they just don’t respect themselves. And if some of them say that they’re ‘alternative’ in their thinking, so instead of mainstream they watch Adult Swim, well guess what, I watched that channel too a couple of times, and it’s ass-shit awful. I prefer to read a history book instead of this.

• 42 Sarah J
          11 March 2014 at 3:41 am

Admittedly I was one of those viewers for a while. Part of it was not having very high standards. Another part was simple denial, which was made easier by having less and less exposure to the older episodes. I didn’t want to admit that the show was getting not just worse, but unwatchable, and I kept telling myself that the show would get good again and I should just hang in there. When the show continued to get worse, I noticed, but I had a hard time articulating WHY it was bad, and for a while, that made me think the low quality was just in my head. Then one day I realized, the show wasn’t just bad, it was the kind of bad comedy that sucked joy out of the room with how much it failed to be funny. Again, I couldn’t really articulate very well why I didn’t find it funny, outside of caveman speak “Joke no make sense! Why show explaining joke? Why Bart doing that? Bart no should act like that! It not in character!”, but stopped watching anyway.

I’ve got friends who still think the show is good, but none of them watch it on any regular basis or get excited for new episodes like they do with The Walking Dead or Breaking Bad or Orange is the New Black. I think a lot of the viewers who think the show is good, don’t think it’s great. The new episodes don’t have the same following you’d normally see in a cultural landmark like The Simpsons. The show has viewers, but it doesn’t really have much of a dedicated fandom. At this point, the show only gets attention because of reputation and image. It was once a great show, once the best of the best, and totally changed television. Even someone who doesn’t watch the show much can name the characters and the song and maybe even a few notable quotes.

Look at it this way: say someone took all of the Zombie Simpsons scripts, and changed the names of all of the characters and had different voices and visuals. They have NO connection with The Simpsons. Would people still watch the show? Would people say it’s anything more than mediocre? Would it last very long, or have much merchandise? Lets be honest here. If it didn’t have The Simpsons name and characters attached to it, no one would watch it.

11 March 2014 at 10:33 am

Hum, when I read Charlie’s book he kinda pinpointed to the idea of The Simpsons and Zombie Simpsons being two separate shows. But if I really did my homework, I think that the point there was that people would still watch Zombie Simpsons even if it were called Simbie Zompsons or whatever. That’s what I was trying to illustrate: people just watch anything. Any garbage they’re being shown on the TV. Family Guy had some neat parodies a while ago when they just up and mocked some of the shows because god fuck those were straight awful. And the major contributing factor here is social decay, cultural degradation and complete lack of required thinking. That’s why those people don’t read books, because that’s what books already do: they make you think. Yes, they explain, but they make you think. These shows, they don’t make you think without breaking everything to you, it’s like you’d be watching an alternative reality where, in life, people just expose on what they did, why, and what that’s about to do to them or to someone else… That’s not how it works IRL.

I really would like to hear an opinion of someone who’s 20-23 years old right now watching The Simpsons, because quite frankly, I just feel like I grew way too old for any of these things to be watchable by my standards. Never thought that it would be possible, though… but here we go.

• 44 Sarah J
              11 March 2014 at 5:18 pm

Eh, I think I have a little more faith in viewers than you do. Lots of shows get cancelled early, but we don’t really notice because most of those shows were mediocre/bad and never developed a following. I still maintain that Zombie Simpsons, if it was made and marketed as a separate show, wouldn’t last very long. Even if you ignore the glaring flaws, there’s nothing special or insightful about the show, and it’s not very funny. While there are bad comedies that manage to get popular, they still usually have something that appeals to the viewers. Zombie Simpsons has nothing going for it but name recognition.

12. 45 Jeff
    10 March 2014 at 10:26 pm

What was that chalkboard gag with Bart drawing family trees of him and (I think) Jasper about?

13. 10 March 2014 at 11:27 pm

My friend brought up that South Park and even King of the Hill did it first when it came to eating weird stuff for money/attention.

14. 51 Mikey
    11 March 2014 at 3:17 am

I LOVE the Chomet coutch gag! His my hero :)

15. 52 Sarah J
    11 March 2014 at 3:50 am

Sideshow Bob is a superman now? Good lord, the show is REALLY going off the rails. If the show manages to last more than a couple more years, my money says it’s going to slowly go down that path so it can turn itself into a clone of Family Guy (where crazy shit like talking animals and sci-fi insanity are accepted parts of the universe) without the viewers noticing.

And I’ve already got an episode idea! Professor Frink uses Santa’s Little Helper in an experiment to make him smarter. It works, and SLH gets the ability to talk. (celebrity guest voice, of course) But this newfound intelligence is driving a wedge between him and the family, and there’s a schlocky emotional moment between him and Bart, and he has Frink turn him into a regular dog again.

• 53 Al Jean
      11 March 2014 at 8:56 am

Hey, now that’s a good idea…

• 54 Frank
      11 March 2014 at 12:56 pm

Get Seth MacFarlane to do the Brian voice for the dog to really blow everyone’s minds…
      Actually give the cat the talking ability, turn Maggie into she-Stewie and then end it with a Simpsons-Family guy brawl

11 March 2014 at 6:27 pm

I won’t be watching that for sure!

• 56 Sarah J
        14 March 2014 at 5:03 am

Naw, the dog needs to be voice by a celebrity that’s relevant or popular at the time the episode is made, or perhaps a few years earlier. Can either be so with a mainstream audience, geeks, or hipsters, doesn’t matter.

16. 57 Rob K.