Apr

Quick Note on the Zombification of Patty & Selma

Homer vs Patty & Selma11

“When are you going to wake up and smell your husband, Marge?” – Selma Bouvier
“Granted, you got some kids out of him, but when the seeds have been planted you throw away the envelope.” – Patty Bouvier

My apologies, but there isn’t going to be a Compare & Contrast this week.  My stupid real job threw up a bolt-from-the-blue minor crisis this week that is just now finally squared away, and I don’t have the energy to get my brains back into an episode I’ve already largely forgotten.  However, there was one thing that’s been bugging me about “Luca$”: what the hell was with Patty and Selma in that scene in the kitchen with Marge?

They’re sitting at the table watching Lisa and the would-be-competitive eater Lucas in the back yard.  Patty jokes that he’s fat, Marge says she’s surprised Lisa likes him, Patty then says:

Really?  Justin Blobber over there doesn’t remind you of anyone?

That leads to a quick cut of Homer yelling and complaining, which leads to Selma explaining the plot to everyone:

Women marry their fathers, Marge.  So you just might be meeting your future ton-in-law!

Then they both happily cackle at Lisa’s fate.  It doesn’t bother me that the twins are being mean to the kid, but by extension they’re also gleefully bagging on Lisa, which is just weird.  Patty and Selma hate Homer, and who could blame them?  (Would you want your baby sister married to him?)  But they’ve always been fond, even proud, of Lisa.  Here they’re basically saying to Marge: you married  fat loser and so will your precious daughter, ha ha.  They want Lisa to marry someone like Homer just to teach Marge a lesson or something, and it’s utterly contrary to everything we know about them.

Characters devolving into unrecognizable goo isn’t anything new for Zombie Simpsons.  And it’s not like anyone put too much thought into that scene in the first place.  But it goes to show how really empty and hollow this show has left so many once rich characters.  Patty and Selma, for all their flaws, were always on Marge’s side.  Here they’re not, and they’re attacking her through Lisa.  It’s really bad, even for Zombie Simpsons.

23 Responses to “Quick Note on the Zombification of Patty & Selma”

1. 10 April 2014 at 7:18 pm

Does ZS even know what they have done with the characters? I think Patty is sometimes a lesbian and occasionally they have an adopted Chinese daughter that is a child prodigy. Hell I don’t even know if stuff from The Simpsons still carries over like their love of Richard Dean Anderson (MacGyver) and Selma’s pet Jub Jub the iguana.

2. 3 Brad M
    10 April 2014 at 7:53 pm

What stood out to me about “Women marry their fathers, Marge” is how disrespectful it was to Selma’s own late father. Has The Simpsons ever shown anything about her relationship with him?

• 10 April 2014 at 8:05 pm

I think you’re onto something there. Maybe him being a flight attendant can be tied to their love of MacGyver… they yearn for the manly man their father never was (or something).

• 5 Rob K.
        10 April 2014 at 8:54 pm

Good observational psychology!

10 April 2014 at 9:09 pm

Zombie Simpsons doesn’t know who was their father. It can occasionally check its historical self if it has to, or it can just take a crap on all of the fans out there and shit out an episode in which Marge’s dad comes back looking like Homer in a standard who-comes-to-dinner-tonight manner… At least, after “Lunchlady Dora”, I think I could bet on it.

10 April 2014 at 9:23 pm

Patty’s and Selma’s hatred for Homer in ZS has turned from snarky sarcastic commentary spite into completely obnoxious remarks about his demeanor when he’s being a jerkass. Unlike that previous attitude filled with hints of jealousy at times (after all, a fat slob is better than nobody at all, right?), their current ‘motivation’ requires no prelude, no context and especially no understanding of their position towards Marge, which leaves the twins making ‘jokes’ (for lack of a better word) about Homer that anyone could make: Mr. Burns, Bumblebee Man (is he still alive?), Principal Skinner. And plenty other textureless nobodies.

Sure, “my sister likes you, so you’re a big fat idiot” is a hackneyed cliche. But situation-wise, it worked on The Simpsons. Now it looks like “you’re a big fat idiot, so you’re a big fat idiot”. And this is ‘comedy’ how exactly?

• 18 ShaLaLaCarla
      10 April 2014 at 10:43 pm

Worse yet was the episode “Wedding for Disaster” where they were portrayed as cartoon super villains.

4. 19 Zartok-35
    11 April 2014 at 2:45 am

You hit the nail on the head. This scene really bothered the piss out of me.

5. 20 Monty Python Forever
    11 April 2014 at 3:43 am

A quick Compare and Contrast: Lisa falling for dubious boys. Lisa developed a relationship with Nelson, a vicious bully who proved to have a softer, gentler side which could not overcome his inherently cruel self. Nelson has always, for better or for worse been a character of contrasts: Violent thuggery mixed with intelligence, contemplation and self doubt. Humor derived from the incongruity, as Nelson gave his take on life–but in a simplistic manner, as his childish ignorance and refusal to pay attention in school dulled his brain. Ultimately, his Id won the battle for his mind, and Lisa realized that trying to change him was futile–so even though they had potential, the relationship was too dangerous and had to end. “Let’s just call it smell you later, Milhouse’s Quixotic hope for a relationship, the dog being choked: These were all good gags, mean-spirited but never going so far as to feel uncomfortable. This episode’s A plot is resolved nicely and is satisfying.

Milhouse’s role in the episode is small but hilarious and important, lurking at the periphery and delivering a few great lines like, “if she sees you’ll do anything she wants, she’s bound to respect you. Sure, what are big sisters for–ooh, I shouldn’t have said that,” and “…he chipped one of my permanent teeth!” This is how you do a B plot and integrate it into the story. This plot ends ambiguously, but in a good, interesting, humorous way.

Luca$ had one character trait and one joke: He liked to eat a lot, but he was bad it. This was the only notable aspect of the guy, and he was completely forgettable. It did lead to incongruity, but it was awkward and uncomfortable, not funny. Milhouse was just used for a throwaway line or two and then forgotten; Marge’s actions made no sense–she wanted Lisa to not be attracted to Homer, but she made Homer more attractive? What the fuck?

Then there is an unrelated B plot with Bart committing a bunch of crimes and getting away with them. It would have worked if they were humorous, but everything is taken so seriously that you just want Bart to go to jail. Neither of the two plots is resolved in a satisfying way and the episode just stops at an arbitrary point.

11 April 2014 at 12:53 pm

So I started writing this long reply to your comment about how I see the same topic on C&C. Then I realized that I didn’t watch Luca$. So I can’t… I’d really like to but I can’t reply to any of that.
      Hopefully enough, Mr. Matar at the Simpsums will get me up to speed one day, because I’m actually amazed there are no worthy reviews or summaries of recent ZS episodes out there.
      Okay, lobster lunch!

6. 11 April 2014 at 12:35 pm

I believe it’s best to produce your own satire to outshine ZS than simply sit around reminiscing about when this show was better without trying your hand at cartoons or comedy. That’s what I want to try.

• 23 Sarah J
      13 April 2014 at 8:59 pm

I usually just write adventure fantasy, but this website has helped me learn a lot about comedy, so I might try my hand at it sometime.

Anonymous on Homeronymus Bosch