Apr

Behind Us Forever: Days of Future Future

Chalkboard - Days of Future Future

“Bart, you cast the wrong spell!  Zombies!” – Lisa Simpson

So, was this episode the Futurama crossover or not?  I didn’t see Fry or Leela, but there was a beer swilling robot and lots of inter-species relationships, so I’m not entirely sure.  Also, part of it was a coma fantasy or a dream sequence, but I don’t have access to an original script so I don’t know if those pages were on pink paper or goldenrod.

For those of you sage enough not to have watched it, we begin in the present when Homer dies.  Frink, and remember, this is supposed to be the present, brings in a clone of Homer to the funeral.  Homer then spends the next few minutes dying and coming back as a clone.  Eventually it’s thirty years from now and Homer becomes a computer program instead.  In that future, Bart is divorced from Amy Poehler, Lisa is married to Milhouse (who becomes a literal zombie because now they’re just fucking with me), and Marge eventually also becomes a computer program who gets eaten or something by Homer.  Seriously, the end is so confusing that they have Moe say that he doesn’t get it.

– Hey, the couch gag was short and clever for a change.

– Ah, for the days when Homer eating in his underwear was funny instead of a harbinger of boredom.

– “You’re alive, but how?” – Time to have things explained.

– We got to the death montage nice and quick.  It’s a completely unnecessary death montage, but at least they didn’t dawdle.

– Oh, look, there’s an incinerator-bot that looks like something that was reject from a Futurama storyboard back in 2003 or so.  Has Zombie Simpsons resorted to dumpster diving the Futurama offices?

– “All is not lost, I was able to download Homer’s brain into this flash drive.” – They know we’re pretty much as far from Halloween as it is possible to get on the calendar, right?

– Bart’s ex-wife is dating an Alien alien named Jerry.  I am not making this up.

– Okay, the “Cretaceous Park” sign (“Now Correctly Named”) was kinda funny.

– You know, all this talk of zombies reminds me that Ugly Americans had its moments.  It never quite got there, but it was a hell of a lot better than this.

– At least this Total Recall scene didn’t take long.

– It’s our second song montage.  The first one was Homer dying.  This one is Bart getting laid.

– Clown group sex, didn’t see that one coming.

– A robot drinking alcohol . . . where have I seen that before?

– It’s pure fan service and couldn’t hope to salvage even a little bit of this episode, but they have adult Maggie and Gerald sucking on a straw together.  It was quick and almost charming.

– Nice of Marge to pop out from behind that plant at Moe’s for an expository conversation about marriage with her kids.

– “Wait, Mom, does that mean you’re gonna take Dad back?”, see what I mean?

– So, Marge just digitized herself and was eaten by Homer.  Moe, speaking for all of us, says “I can’t tell if that was love, suicide or a really boring video game.”  The “really boring” part certainly applies.

– Oh, that couch gag was a fan idea.  No wonder it didn’t suck.

Zombie Simpsons likes to take any decent joke and run it into the ground with repetition, and this was them doing that on an episode scale.  A couple of seasons ago they did that “Holiday of Future’s Passed” episode where they did Christmas in the future.  I wasn’t a fan, but they got a little bit of positive attention from it, so the natural thing to do would be to go back and stretch everything there way past the breaking point.  It’s just their style.

Anyway, the ratings are in and they are unprecedentedly wretched.  Last night, just 3.59 million people hoped that this show gets canned sometime in the next thirty years.  That’s good for second lowest all time, bested only by the non-8pm slot “Diggs” episode from last month.  Seven of the ten lowest rated ever, including the entire bottom five, have been broadcast since January.

18 Responses to “Behind Us Forever: Days of Future Future”

1. 1 Joe H
    14 April 2014 at 5:36 pm

“Holiday of Future’s Passed” was definitely better than this even though it wasn’t all that good either. At least it had a plot and didn’t feel like a half-hour ZS THOH segment (despite leaning heavily in that direction).

Also, didn’t Futurama also have a dinosaur petting zoo, with a better gag payoff?

2. 14 April 2014 at 5:48 pm

I must admit I got two legit laughs from the Cretaceous Park sign and the crying T-Rex. I guess that makes this by default the best episode of this season. I was worried that this was going to be the Futurama cross over they teased/threatened at last year’s Comicon. Anyone see that Equesticles episode of Bob’s Burgers? That was a great episode!

14 April 2014 at 6:56 pm

I admit it, I almost laughed at the rings jar joke after Bart woke up. I don’t know why. I paused it, went to the bathroom and threw up twice. Then I didn’t feel like laughing at all. So for the rest of the episode, it was as usual.

They should warn, because I’m definitely not watching this to have a laugh.

• 4 Joe H
      14 April 2014 at 10:01 pm

Agree on the Bob’s Burgers “Equestranauts” episode. Very well done and funny episode.

That Futurama crossover is coming though and is widely believed to be the season finale. We’re getting pretty close to that episode’s production #.

3. 5 FireFlower
    14 April 2014 at 6:42 pm

I did not watch it–Thank God—was I saw over on No Homers this was bad even for modern standards. Grampa is still alive 30 years in the future,,,and one scene he looked very old and in another he had his current design.

14 April 2014 at 7:05 pm

No really, there was nothing to laugh at. Nothing. The dinosaur park was so stupid that even some sign didn’t salvage it for me (oh look, most dinosaurs actually lived in the Cretaceous, yeah!). Maggie and Gerald this is getting old, it’s not interesting to see them somewhere. Make them talk for fuck’s sake and have them share a common conflict, that would be much more interesting than have Lisa be turned on by Zombie Milhouse (ok, I admit, I’m laughing at this now because it just cannot be a coincidence of them having thought of it and not visiting DHS – I wouldn’t believe anyway).

As per the couch gag… You have to try harder. Really. This episode didn’t need a couch gag, they should’ve started it 30 years in the future right away, and then retcon back as to why it happened. We could’ve had a nice episode where, I dunno, Homer get a TV remote he can use to go back to classic seasons, and revisit all 13 episodes of Season 1. That would’ve been fun. No no no, we’ll kill Homer 265 times, have Bart fuck some chicks and end up with Marge digitalizing herself. Futurama, I didn’t like you for personal reasons, but even your nonsense was better.

• 7 Brad M
      14 April 2014 at 7:33 pm

The “modern version of a character goes back to revisit season 1 episodes” idea has already been done by Family Guy.

• 14 April 2014 at 7:38 pm

My tea’s gone cold I’m wondering why I..
      got out of bed at all
      The morning rain clouds up my window..
      and I can’t see at all
      And even if I could it’ll all be gray,
      but your picture on my wall
      It reminds me, that it’s not so bad,
      it’s not so bad..
      Why are you so angry Stan? Sorry I dated myself with an old Eminem song. Can you believe The Marshal Mathers LP is almost 15 years old?
      Maggie not talking in the future was established during a good Simpson’s episode called Lisa’s Wedding and I am glad that ZS isn’t shitting on that. Also Maggie and Gerald were used for a stupid throwaway gag and weren’t even brought up in any of the three plot lines. There are plenty of things to bitch about like the fellatio innuendo involving Lisa’s teacher Ms. Hoover which would be better suited for Family Guy.

Why do you hate every Simpsons couch gag? They have been around from the beginning, are sometimes the only good part of ZS, and this one was short and sweet.

Also we all know the show is shit but I think it is only fair to acknowledge it when they do on a rare occasion make a good joke or two. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.
      I watch ZS purely for the train wreck factor. At this point it has become an MST3K style riffing experience I kinda look forward to every Sunday night with my roommates. Why do you continue to watch?

• 14 April 2014 at 8:22 pm

I used to watch because I had convinced myself that it was still better than FG. Now, though, the difference is really minute. Both ZS and ZFG have weak storytelling, both have slapdash and/or unlikeable characters, both are not too up on pop culture (although FG does seem to be a bit better), and both have fallen from grace by a wide margin yet still make FOX a pretty penny at the end of the day. Do I want to be offended by the poor attempts at shock humour, or do I want to be offended by the heaps of expository writing? I’d rather not decide.

To go off on a bit of a tangent, I’ll give ZS credit; as weak as the animation has gotten compared to Classic Simpsons, it is still a half mile ahead of FG’s animation. There’s actual dimension and more expressive colours and facial features. It just feels like the animators of ZS are at least trying to pass it off as warm, even though the success there is subjective. (It still doesn’t excuse the subpar writing). I doubt the FG animators even care about dimension and colour anymore. It’s the same facial expressions and emotional zoom-ins at the end of the episodes all. The. Damn. Time.

14 April 2014 at 8:39 pm

Hello bartcrowe,

First of all, this isn’t Eminem. Eminem ripped the shit out of that song and lemme tell you that the original was 100 times better. Also no, I’m not a big rap fan, but even when rap is performed originally, I’m usually less grumpy.

Back to the point. I am perfectly aware of the running joke of Maggie not talking. I just don’t understand why it is still considered funny. While Family Guy is well known for repeating stupid jokes until they reach unforgivable level of stupidity (like the Cleveland bathtub joke), the Simpsons surely knew better. It’s been 18 years since Lisa’s Wedding, some kid born on that day is losing their virginity right now, can you imagine? So, what? Keep the joke running? Well, I say no. Making Maggie talk in my honest p.o.v. would’ve been not only interesting, but also could’ve involved a plot with her in the future, considering that in all of the early timelines, she was only some plot filler device used to obtain laughs. I’d really like to see Maggie’s future, see what kind of character she grew out to be, is she more Homer, Marge, or completely unrelated? Maybe she will share some crooked link with future Patty and Selma, something both her brother and sister were disgusted with. Who knows…

About the Hoover blowjob joke… Aw gawd you had to remind me of it… This is perfect example of how to copycat shitty scriptwriting from FG and use it to their own extent. Even on FG, these always disgusted me. Here, they only disgrace everything. And to tell you the truth, I’m not even a hardcore (‘giggle’) Simpsons fan. But seeing THIS… I definitely need to take my tranquilizers every fucking time.

And no, I don’t hate EVERY couch gag (that would’ve been pretty dumb). But if I remember what I saw in the last 2-3 seasons, there isn’t ONE good couch gag that I can think of. ONE! If they do something less convoluted and more simple, they end up copying themselves because this is like playing Snake with a 25-pixel line. Try and not bump into yourself. And if they do something original, it’s 2 minutes long, features unnecessary promotion with blatant exposure at the end of it (let the viewers google the result, don’t just repeatedly point out basic elements where you took it from!). So I’d say, just drop that gag. Create something new. I dunno, you ask your fans one thing, you could as well as them to come up with ideas for your clueless staff to shameless receive more money anyway.

And last but not least, I’m not watching it per se. Hadn’t you noticed? I boycott the season. I only watched last fall’s THOH and this episode. Why THOH? I always liked them, and they were less related to the rest of the ‘theme’ set by every episode. Kinda like Simpsons shorts, but featuring funny gore and such. And even on ZS I thought I could still stomach them, and I think I still can. And this one… was the story arc I already said I like to keep watching, even if the initial plot didn’t appeal to me. This is the reason why I try not to watch new shows, I’m very locked down on those and if it happens, it scars the next 2-3 years of my life or so.

P.S. Just to give you an idea of how ‘angry’ I am, every time someone does a ‘kawai’ art for me, I warn him not to as I may just gouge their eyes with this very paper next time. They usually shake. I also knocked a hipster out once and told him to feel less mainstream in his coma state. Also, there was this one time I had a couple with two adorable kids for neighbors, and the woman went to see me and said “I think you’re a pedophile” after one heated discussion. I replied “Did Jenny (the daughter) told you so?” They moved out within a week.

So yeah, I’m plenty of fun, bartcrowe, plenty of fun.

• 12 Joe H
        14 April 2014 at 9:58 pm

I dunno, this episode exceeded even my low expectations for entertainment. It was just flat out stupid and lazy. Granted had I bothered to freeze frame that one Jurassic Park sign gag I might have managed to find entertainment, but in that respect it is no better than many other ZS episodes that have decent freeze frame gags, which has been for a while the only shred of cleverness the show possesses.

I don’t disagree with the riffing aspect of the show. Sometimes the sheer audacity of the show’s badness offers some unintentional entertainment all its own, like that loony Sideshow Bob episode last month. Sadly, I got nothing out of this one.

15 April 2014 at 2:08 am

It’s certainly nothing new to hear they’re continuing to break records for lowest all-time ratings, but it IS reassuring that not even their increasingly common gimmick episodes are helping.

6. 15 ecco6t9
    16 April 2014 at 1:49 am

I am still not fully sure what the hell that was….

16 April 2014 at 10:59 am

This week’s C&C (if any) should be about Bart’s relationship in this one vs Lisa’s in Lisa’s Wedding. Anyway, that’s the only feasible thing I can see in this mess. Pretty sure Charlie will find something more interesting (if any).

8. 17 Tom H
    18 April 2014 at 10:34 am

As someone who NEVER watches beyond S13, and out of choice rarely ventures to S9, I read the synopsis for this and thought it may not be the worst Zombie Simpsons episode. Just paused it 30 seconds in. Marge’s voice sounds terrible! Homer’s isn’t great either, but Marge sounds her age. Please kill it.