Apr

Burns' Heir11

“Okay, let’s make this sporting, Leonard.  If you can tell me why I shouldn’t fire you without using the letter e, you can keep your job.” – C.M. Burns
“Uh, okay, um, I’m a good work . . . guy.” – Lenny
“You’re fired.” – C.M. Burns
“But I didn’t say-” – Lenny
“You will.” – C.M. Burns
“Eeeeeeee!” – Lenny

Happy 20th anniversary to “Burns’ Heir”!  Original airdate: 14 April 1994.

1. 14 April 2014 at 8:42 am

This so clearly should’ve been an animated gif!

14 April 2014 at 11:53 am

See, Burns says “Leonard” here, so we already knew Lenny’s last name by Season 5.

• 3 Joe H
      14 April 2014 at 3:10 pm

A bit more vague here since the name Lenny has commonly been the short form of Leonard. He could be saying his first name. That’s what I always thought since Leonard as a last name just doesn’t make any sense if it’s already his first.

14 April 2014 at 6:43 pm

Yeah I know, but I was retconning. Burns is more likely to call employees by their last name, as I see it, however you make a perfect point that having Leonard for last name is awkward as shit with Lenny as first.

And I’m sure there is no other occasion before double digits kicked in where such ambiguity ever arose again.

3. 14 April 2014 at 5:45 pm

So what could he have said that would have been persuasive? Come on, admit it: you’ve wondered what you’d have done!

How about:

“I’m a brilliant man with lots of practical, highly thought-out… thoughts… that I always think through… thoroughly.”

4. 10 jordan
    14 April 2014 at 11:33 pm

Doesn’t he say ‘Oh well?, not ‘You will?’

5. 13 Victor Dang
    18 April 2014 at 5:11 pm

Man, this QotD would have been primo GIF material, if you know what I’m saying, so I was a little disappointed that you used only 1 frame here, but it’s still a funny still, regardless.

Boourns on Quote of the Day