Apr

Reading Digest: I Am Smoten Edition

Homer vs Patty & Selma12

“Sometimes I think God is teasing me, just like he teased Moses in the desert.” – Homer Simpson

Apologies for missing two consecutive weeks of Compare & Contrasts, but for the second straight week the eyetee gods decided to smite the hell out of me.  Chillingly, both incidents started on Tuesday and weren’t totally cleaned up until Thursday, which means I will be walking on eggshells until at least next Wednesday.  (Also, do not ever do business with Network Solutions “a web.com company”.  They are incompetent, sleazy, hugely overpriced, use phrases like “part of our vertical” without irony or embarrassment, and have atrociously poor security.  That is all.)

In further bad news, this week’s Reading Digest is pretty short because the internet seemed to spend most of the week circle jerking over the upcoming Zombie Simpsons/Lego episode.  All they did was release a promo image and a couple of self-congratulatory quotes about it, but everyone with access to a keyboard seemed to feel the need to write it up.  (It’ll be interesting to see if Lego can budge the ratings.  My guess is no.)  We’ve got one link to all that brouhaha, plus a great video about the recent Sylvain Chomet couch gag, some fan art, several good lists, more fashionable threads, and a couple of people who agree with us.

Enjoy.

Flooby Nooby: Sylvain Chomet’s making of ‘The Simpsons couch gag’ – Smooth Charlie’s Link of the Week is this short and enjoyable YouTube video:

The color was digital, but the drawings were done by hand.  No wonder it looked so good.   Also, watch to the end for Chomet’s joke, it’s funny.

Old Man Yells At Cloud* – Baseball nostalgics are the worst, and this is an enjoyable fisking of one with plenty of (mostly non-Zombie) Simpsons references to boot.

15 Sitcom Characters Who Might Be Broke If They Lived In The Real World – How affordable would all those living rooms with couches be?  It’s a neat graphic, but I don’t know where the hell they got Homer’s monthly income as $6,500.

The First 12 Episodes Of ‘The Simpsons’ To Begin Your Marathon With – An excellent and explicitly non-Zombie Simpsons list.

5 For Friday: The 5 Best TV Moments in The Simpsons’ Universe – Another excellent list, nothing even close to Zombie Simpsons.

25 Years of The Simpsons. And 5 Potential Spin-Offs… – A list of possible new shows that implicitly agrees with us (“I can’t even remember the last time I caught a new episode of The Simpsons”).

Over Easy Author Mimi Pond Interview – No real surprise here:

What was it like writing the very first episode (“Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire”) of The Simpsons?

I don’t feel very good about that. I was friends with Matt Groening, and I’m still friends with Matt Groening. He was starting to have trouble with the producers of the show. I came in and they were having their troubles, and because I was friends with Matt, I wasn’t very welcome. And because I was a girl — it was a total boys’ club — and I wasn’t asked to be on staff. I was thrown off the gravy train and it took a couple of years to figure it out. But if it hadn’t been for that, my life would’ve been very different. I wouldn’t have worked on this book, and this was the book I was meant to write.

She certainly did a hell of a job with her one episode.

Desert Island ‘What TV series would you want stranded with you and a TV” taking you into the weekend – Couldn’t disagree with this:

I want to pose a question. Desert island style. What TV series would you take if trapped on a desert island with only a TV and DVD player. For me this was a no brainer. It’s The Simpsons.

TV Guide Magazine April 21-May 4 2014 – ‘The Simpsons’: Inside their LEGO episode – Want to read a craven, PR fluff job from the magazine that still writes like Time in 1962?  Have at it.

Simpsons and Joblessness – To be fair, it’s not like all those years of modern dance and tap help much either.

D’oh! Naperville Simpsons graffiti suspect caught – Just what it says.  He’ll probably have to clean highways in an orange vest for some number of hours now.  (via @woohootriviaCHI)

Look7in7: Meow, Meow. – Fan art of Kang (or Kodos) and a kitty.

The Simpsons used to nail it. – Heh.

BBQ Invention – Yes, Lisa, a magical animal (pulled bacon) – Mouthwateringly excellent usage:

I thought I’d start with the most exciting thing I’ve done recently, it could be a game-changer in the BBQ game, a dish that Victor Frankenstein may have created if he was into BBQ, I’ve combined a pork technique with a bacon technique…

Homer: “Lisa, honey, are you saying you’re never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?”
Lisa: “No.”
Homer: “Ham?”
Lisa: “No.”
Homer: “Pork chops?”
Lisa: “Dad! Those all come from the same animal!”
Homer[chuckling] “Yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.”

I’ve made…  PULLED BACON

The pig de resistance!

[5RTO] The Simpsons: Tapped Out – Five thoughts on the travails of playing Tapped Out while a parent.  Also, it is indeed very expensive.

The Evolution of Simpsons Games – A brief history of some Simpsons games.

Doing The Dirty Simpsons With Family Guy’s Quest For Stuff – The new Family Guy Tapped Out clone sounds very clone-ish.

Family Guy: The Quest for Stuff is corporate manipulation pretending to be a game – Yup.

“The Simpsons” Fashion Collaboration with Joyrich – More skinny models wearing high fashion Simpsons clothing.

Biggest TV Syndication Deals Besides ‘The Simpsons’ – Unsurprisingly, other shows retail for more per episode, but nobody has nearly as many episodes.

3 cartoon shows that adults can watch – The show comes in at #1, followed by South Park and Futurama.  Ah, it’s nice to see a concise list.

How did The Simpsons get so dumb? – Our old friend Stefan Grasso charts the show’s decline and calls its current state “Rock Bottom”, complete with graphic.

22 Responses to “Reading Digest: I Am Smoten Edition”

1. 1 Joe H
    18 April 2014 at 1:21 pm

Of course the real reason this Lego episode “took 2 years to make” is probably because the held off its airing so it could piggyback off of The Lego Movie.

I mean look at the production code. It should’ve aired last Fall.

18 April 2014 at 1:29 pm

When I was 10 I used to have many Lego sets and always wanted to buy more. Then me and my dad once went to a toys-r-esque store and he said: “Stan, you know I cannot afford always buying you these. They’re just construction game sets. If you want to build real things, you should become an engineer”. So I became an Urban Planner. And it’s hell, worse than Network Solutions, worse than freelance blogging.
      So yeah, fuck Lego.

• 3 Cal
        18 April 2014 at 7:26 pm

What exactly makes urban planning hell for you? I have an amateur interest in architecture, geography and city planning, and I’ve always thought I’d be good at it. I even think my Simpsons Tapped Out city is really cool.

19 April 2014 at 12:20 am

Yeah, yeah, yeah, managing a city is a lot like SimCity… not! You forget the whole public relations aspect. You have to love people, see to their problems, listen to a lot of yada-yada about community sectors, private sectors, stupid mayor’s vision of things. Counsellor pressure, police pressure… you know what? Fuck it. I wish I’d be designing SimCity instead.

• 19 April 2014 at 2:00 am

Considering who you are, how the hell’d you wind up with that job in the first place?

19 April 2014 at 2:08 am

This is what happens when you just know you have social development problems since age 5, but only fully discover it at age 25.
              Also, when you want to kill someone, you’re usually very eager to smile in the face the whole time (sorry, too much codeine tonight…)

• 7 Cal
            19 April 2014 at 3:11 am

I get it’s not Sim City; the Tapped Out reference was meant to be tongue in cheek. But what urban planners do is mostly conceptual design, right? I’ve been to charrettes before, and the design aspect is mostly what seems appealing about it.

Aren’t you Canadian? Do you work in Toronto?

19 April 2014 at 11:55 am

Like I previously stated, there is urban design per se (city design, otherwise) and there is urban planning (which is a lot like designing something, but instead of working with streets, buildings, parks and etc. you work with people, city administration and elected representatives). The main difference between them is akin to the difference between working as a audit vs. working as a financial analyst. Not the same level.

I am, but I’m that snotty Le Crouton from Montreal instead =) In Quebec, you don’t get the same luck to work with urban design per se as you could possible get in Ontario. I know it because I’ve seen some folks from there getting their degrees in “Planning” and then working as what you’re describing. In Quebec, the situation is different: there’s only 5-10% of private firms that really specialize in city design, and they always have enough personnel so the competition there is so high it’s not ever worth it. The remaining 80% is crappy municipal work, which everyone fights for, but it turn it ends up being what I’ve described above. And just to let you know that after heavy drinking I still have some functional brain parts left, I did try to see if I can requalify for Ontario, maybe Alberta or BC… No luck. I would require 10-15 K for this, and waste 5 more years of my life. Though I guess I am getting there, but I still hope to avoid the antlion’s hole.

• 9 Rob K.
            19 April 2014 at 11:07 am

Love Simcity btw! 2000, 3000 and 4 :)

19 April 2014 at 12:38 pm

Yeah, the last one they screwed up. You don’t play SimCity to be able to build curved streets. There’s Cities XL for that.

• 11 Rob K.
        19 April 2014 at 11:02 am

Stan: I was reading Just Game Retro and I swear, J Man mentioned something like that in a review regarding Network Solutions or something similar…

Anyway as an only child I was spoiled shitless and my Mom would always buy me what I wanted, mostly toys, video games and lego sets. Am still a gamer to this day as well. And Simpsons fan too but only
        classic episodes.

• 14 safetydancer
      19 April 2014 at 7:45 am

It took two years, because the animation process was hard. Then they held it a little longer to promote it as the 550th episode, which FOX has been very carefully planning. Of course the release of actual Simpsons Lego probably has something to do with it, so it makes sense, especially considering Lego paid for part of this episode.

18 April 2014 at 1:31 pm

Why are they airing this ep next Sunday? The finale isn’t up for a month or so, they still have 3 more slots to show if my calculations are correct. Lego would’ve made a great finale (that I’d never watch anyway, but who cares).

• 16 Joe H
      18 April 2014 at 4:21 pm

They’re saving the Futurama crossover for the finale

• 18 April 2014 at 5:58 pm

The LEGO Episode should’ve aired never, but if it had to air, they should’ve aired it in January, when the movie was out. Now, it just comes out as another example on how ZS is trying too hard to be relevant, albeit merely for time.

19 April 2014 at 12:09 am

Wait, the movie was in January? Like, this January? Shit, I thought it was a 2010 or something thing. Who would want to see a movie about a bunch of yellow dudes they owned as kids anyway?

• 20 safetydancer
          19 April 2014 at 7:42 am

The Lego Movie is actually very well written, animated and funny. It also has a funny little cameo by a Simpsons character. It’s by the guys who did Clone High & Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, check it out

• 19 April 2014 at 7:39 am

They’re airing it as the 550th episode & wanted to make it a special event. Futurama crossover as the finale is unlikely, looks like they’re holding that one for the fall

Anonymous on Homeronymus Bosch