May

Sunday Preview: The Yellow Badge Of Cowardge

The_Yellow_Badge_of_Cowardge_Promo_4 (2)

Bart is plagued with guilt when he wins the annual “last day of school” race around Springfield Elementary, with an assist from Nelson, who beats up frontrunner Milhouse. Meanwhile, Homer tries to bring back the annual 4th of July fireworks display after it’s canceled for budget reasons.

This is the season finale, so we got that going for us. However, based on the description, there will most likely be lost of guilt horns, so that sucks.  I also read that Glenn Close will be voicing Mona Simpson tonight. I am almost certain she is dead, unless they brought her back in one of the many ZS episodes I neglected to watch,  so maybe its in a dream sequence. Whateves,  I am less interested in solving that mystery than I am in figuring out why Bart gives a crap about winning a race around the school in the first place.

29 Responses to “Sunday Preview: The Yellow Badge Of Cowardge”

1. 18 May 2014 at 12:09 pm

Since when has Milhouse been an athlete? If my understanding of Zombie Simpsons is correct, it won’t be explained why he’s the frontrunner.

2. 2 FireFlower
    18 May 2014 at 12:54 pm

YEAH! The last episode of the season! We can all hope that the next season will be the last one…but I doubt it.

3. 3 Joe H
    18 May 2014 at 1:54 pm

This one….

-The pun is god-awful. Why not just call it “The Yellow Badge of Cowardice”? Would no one have gotten the pun without forcing the last word?

-Why oh why does Bart give a crap about this? Cheating is what we all expect from Bart, especially if it’s something as stupid as a race around the school. This sounds just as bad as “Yellow Subterfuge” this season which had Bart desperately be a goody-two-shoes doormat for Skinner for the highly implausible reward of riding in a nuclear sub.

-Milhouse, the kid who needs an inhaler and all-around wimpiest kid in school, is a front-runner. No words.

18 May 2014 at 3:41 pm

You beat me to it. I wanted to mention that there is no such word in the English language.

• 5 Joe H
        18 May 2014 at 4:11 pm

Even not, good puns roll off the tongue better than a monstrosity like “cowardge”

18 May 2014 at 6:20 pm

BTW “Yellow Subterfuge” would be a nice name for some Beatles parody of the song. But only because all of the Simpsons are yellow, calling it that was akin to calling an episode “Round-Eyes-Dotted-Pupils” with something related to Homer.

4. 7 Cal
    18 May 2014 at 4:18 pm

“…why Bart gives a crap about winning a race around the school in the first place.”

Because he has to get first place in order to win, of course! (Yeah, this episode sounds dumb. Why would he let Nelson beat up his closest friend?)

5. 8 FireFlower
    18 May 2014 at 5:12 pm

Yes. Cowardge is a very dumb made up word…but this is the same show that had a character named Booth Wilkes-John on last week.

6. 18 May 2014 at 6:18 pm

Charlie, here’s what happened with Mona;

– Well, we all know what happened in “Mother Simpson”. “The underground awaits.” And the end scene… no words except “perfect”.
    – She came back in “My Mother, The Carjacker”. She came back, was set up by Burns for cheque fraud, and faked her own death. It’s not really a good episode, although some of that might be due to the sheer awesomeness of “Mother Simpson”.
    – She came back again in “Mona Leaves-A”, where she died… and, in her will, ordered Homer and the rest of the family to take out a missile launch led by Burns. If I wasn’t so young when that episode aired, I would’ve gone insane at the sheer awfulness of it.
    – She came back IN DREAM FORM in that “Inception” parody episode (“How I Wet Your Mother”) from season 22 or 23 or something. (HD-era ZS: so banal, the seasons are indistinguishable!) There, from what I can remember, she basically served as the reason why Homer wet the bed, or something. Whatever. I watched that episode once in a rerun for some reason. Didn’t like it that much.

18 May 2014 at 6:22 pm

Mona Leaves-A aired only 6 years ago… How old were you back then?

• 18 May 2014 at 8:02 pm

I’ll just say that I was in my younger teens; I was impressionable enough to not care about things such as exposition and unrealistic dialogue.

18 May 2014 at 10:31 pm

I probably had your age around 1999-2000. I remember these times… the show seemed golden to me. In fact, before reading Charlie’s book (and his manifesto, mostly), I’ve never seen seasons 11 through 15 as bad as today. Today I can acknowledge their boredom.

• 14 Joe H
      19 May 2014 at 2:01 am

Mona’s will specified her ashen remains be used to be sucked into a ventilation shaft to clog up a single machine controlling an entire missile launch base.

That was rock bottom insulting (and dare I say insensitive) even by ZS standards

7. 15 Rob K.
    18 May 2014 at 7:31 pm

ZS is trying to wear out Simpsons sites like DHS here and other ZS detractors, I say don’t let ZS and their crappy writers win!

8. 16 Victor Dang
    18 May 2014 at 7:44 pm

“Mona Leaves-a” was just super awful. Not only did they effectively say “fuck you” to the remaining fans watching the show by killing off Mona heartlessly, they also kicked us in the stomach with that shitty pun for a title.

• 17 Victor Dang
      18 May 2014 at 7:45 pm

I watched this ep in syndication, but I wouldn’t watch it again, even if I was paid.

OK actually I’m not that stupid, give me a call and we can discuss rates!

18 May 2014 at 10:32 pm

I’m glad they killed Mona, actually. After seeing what they’re doing to Grandpa, especially.

9. 18 May 2014 at 8:52 pm

I must say, this was a “explain our emotions” heavy episode (although that’s not exactly new). Apparently, the writers must’ve tried to use the narration to justify explaining every single emotion. The A-plot, was just another version of the “Liar Revealed” cliche, and the B-plot felt somewhat like a “Homer gets a job” episode.

But the most important part is that the season is finally over. Final thoughts are…

…at least there was no talking bar rags or Lady Gaga? Unlike season 23, which was insanely awful, this season (or what I watched of it) was merely boring, for the most part.

Can’t wait to see what the ratings are for this episode.

10. 22 Brad M
    19 May 2014 at 12:05 am

Bad episode. They couldn’t even draw Mona the correct age in the flashback scene?

• 23 Joe H
      19 May 2014 at 1:57 am

Mona was a waste. The sight gag could have easily been done without actually hearing her voice.

11. 24 Joe H
    19 May 2014 at 1:54 am

So…much…forced…emotion…

-Anyone remember “Old Yeller-belly”, the episode about Santa’s Little Helper being branded a coward and hated by everyone for it? Neither did I until watching this episode and seeing every known shopworn cliche about someone being selfish and ridden with guilt.

-Why is Bart being singled out here? Apparently no other classmates bothered to help Milhouse either.

-The whole “shameful event” was extremely forced too. Bart legitimately won that race (as in he didn’t willfully cheat), and gets chastised because the doesn’t try to duke it out with one of the school bullies? Nelson gets off scot-free despite giving Milhouse such a brutal beating that he gets amnesia

-AMNESIA! What a forced sympathy grab out of left field that is conveniently cured for a now-standard “Springfield hates Bart” moment. Apparently no one cares that Milhouse was never medically treated for his memory loss except Hibbert appearing out of nowhere to exposit “yep, he’s got amnesia” and then disappear.

-And the race around the school is SO important that every known athlete in Springfield plus a real athlete guest star gives a huge celebration in which the whole town attends to shower praise on a 4th grader

-It never really answers why Bart really gave a shit about winning the race in the first place. All he really got was a ribbon, nothing really worth

-Bart is once again a complete wuss in this one, and a boring self-pitying wuss at that. At times he seems wimpier than Milhouse in which even his contrived “heroic moment” has him desperately begging Milhouse to tag along with him. Whatever happened to Bart being a wise-guy punk?

And that’s all the A-plot. Don’t even want to touch the rest.

12. 19 May 2014 at 11:23 am

As bad as this season was we have the Family Guy and Futurama crossover episodes to look forward to next season.

I had a brief laugh when a random member in the crowd yelled at Sideshow Mel to quit explaining everything followed immediately by having everything explained