May

Lisa's Substitute9

“I think he’s taking the next train to Capital City.” – Apartment Woman
“The train, how like him: traditional yet environmentally sound.” – Lisa Simpson
“Yes, and it’s been the backbone of our country since Leland Stanford drove that golden spike at Promontory Point!” – Apartment Woman
“I see he touched you too.” – Lisa Simpson

Happy birthday Jo Ann Harris!

27 May 2014 at 9:32 am

Just wanted to say that I rewatched the monorail episode yesterday right after a ZS episode from Season 14, and maybe it’s just me, but it seemed pretty shallow on the jokes. Like, Nimoy’s and Langley’s part performances were good (that’s what guest stars are for), but the rest… one offs from Krusty and Lurleen, the possum in the train’s emergency closet, the whole solar eclipse thing… Very shallow. The song wasn’t bad though.

Also, still waiting for summer-related posts (C’mon Charlie, you’ve been good at these before…)

• 2 Frank
      27 May 2014 at 10:16 am

True, I guess you can thank Charlie and this Website for making you more attentive. Yeah, the possum joke was pretty dumb, but that’s in retrospect to all the crap we’ve had to put up with. Back then we would have just snorted and forgot about it. Besides, if they had a possum joke now, it would have lasted 3 minutes with either the possums attacking homer, the possums looking like the SImpsons, or Homer having an affair with the lady possum.

The story though was solid, and while the ending seemed to be more of a Deus ex machina, it didn’t take away from the overall story.

• 27 May 2014 at 11:52 am

Shallow? Maybe. Cartoony? Definitely. At the very least, it was an entertaining kind of shallowness and zaniness.

My issues with ZS aren’t so much how shallow and nonsensical the episodes are, but how little actual humor comes with it.

27 May 2014 at 6:31 pm

Come to think of it, the whole sequence where Langley flies to South Whatever he sold the monorail project to before Springfield, was short and kinda unnecessary. I’m convinced there could’ve been a better was to end this character. Of course, I’m also aware that on ZS, this sequence would’ve been absent altogether, making the guest star disappear into thin air.

• 7 Victor Dang
      27 May 2014 at 1:30 pm

It will never come. For Charlie wants you to stay here… forever.

• 27 May 2014 at 2:24 pm

I am one of the few who finds the monorail episode overrated. There are other episodes which are much better written than the monorail one.

27 May 2014 at 6:34 pm

I just took it as a random example. I decided to watch a random ZS ep and then a random CS ep. Just to point out, my ZS choice was Old Yeller Belly and the ending with the wasted shark just didn’t cut it.

• 10 LSP
      27 May 2014 at 8:32 pm

The possum is not a random one off, it’s meant to reinforce the idea that the monorail is pretty shitty and actually just a big scam. Wacky or not, it serves the plot.

2. 27 May 2014 at 9:33 am

Best. Lisa. Episode. Ever.

3. 27 May 2014 at 4:50 pm

My only real issue with the Simpsons around season four were bits of dialogue and/or conversation that were pieced together using recycled animation. Once you spot this sort of thing, it’s hard not to notice it. And usually what’s being added isn’t all that clever or funny. It just ends up looking like padding. Go take a look at the “Cousin Frank/Francine” bit from “Lisa’s First Word”. The dialogue isn’t very funny on it’s own, but when you pay attention to the visuals, it’s obvious they just extended the scene by manipulating animation they had already used in order to fit what was being said. Even worse are shots that cut back and forth to talking heads that are clearly from different seasons entirely.

4. 16 jordan
    27 May 2014 at 8:21 pm

How could you guys be semi-dissing the monorail episode? It’s a classic from pure recountability alone. Compare that to the junk we’re facing these days.

• 17 Ryan
      27 May 2014 at 10:10 pm

because they’re autistic

/thread

27 May 2014 at 11:44 pm

I just watched Simpson and Delilah. Tons better, tons.
      This show should’ve ended at Season 3.

• 19 Cal
        28 May 2014 at 8:12 pm

Lock this thread. Ban Stan and Mike Russo. You are why Al Jean and Matt Groening don’t care anymore.

• 22 karl
        28 May 2014 at 9:16 pm

If you, sir, are actually talking seriously instead of trolling, why do you think it should have ended at Season 3?

I don’t think neither “Marge vs. the Monorail” or “Last Exit to Springfield” are the funniest, best Simpsons episodes better like pretty much the average Simpsons fan proclaims, but no matter how I like it, I don’t find “Simpson and Delilah” better than any stuff from Season 4-6. So I’m really curious (in a good way) about your tastes.

29 May 2014 at 5:04 pm

Well, maybe not Season 3. But Marge vs. the Monorail kinda sucks (not in a ZS way, it just… sucks). And Homer the Smithers also kinda sucked. I dunno, I didn’t like those.
          Simpson and Delilah, on the other hand, had this Karl character that you can really relate to. And even if the plot kinda goofed itself with instant hair growing, it wasn’t something stale and bland. I also remember liking Who Shot Mr. Burns when I was 12-13, maybe it’s time I see that ep again and compare.

5. 28 May 2014 at 12:02 pm

This comments section is killing my vibe.

6. 28 May 2014 at 10:07 pm

I liked the monorail episode. I really did.

7. 26 ecco6t9
    29 May 2014 at 7:00 pm

Look at how they accounted for perspective, now Lisa would be as tall as the building behind her.

8. 30 May 2014 at 9:46 pm

The renewable resource sources have proven to be of excellent help in minimizing the amount of contaminants, which are by-products of using energy.

Anonymous on Homeronymus Bosch