Aug

Primetime Cartoons

The Way We Was20

“Back up or it’ll hurt your eyes.” – Homer Simpson
“Oh, it will not.” – Bart Simpson
“Oh, yes it will.” – Homer Simpson

First off, all the chapters of the “Tapped Out” minibook are now live here at the site.  If you’ve been waiting to read it for free, now you can.  Thank you to everyone who has purchased it, linked to it from message boards and aggregating sites, or simply read it.  Now onto my next hair brained scheme . . .

I’ve threatened to start a regular Simpsons watching liveblog here a couple of times now. With the upcoming release of the show on streaming (albeit with a sadly restricted audience of only cable customers and people to whom they give their logins), now seems as good a time as any to start actually doing so.   Repetitive complaining about repetitively mediocre Zombie Simpsons episodes is all well and good, but The Simpsons is always more fun to watch than Zombie Simpsons.

I don’t know quite how this wants to work, but this is what we’re thinking:

– Watch an episode every Thursday evening at 8pm Eastern (currently GMT/UTC -4)

– Put up an open thread here at DHS for comments

– Probably create some kind of hashtag so people can follow along on Twitter

– Let you fine Springfieldians decide which episode we watch

Comments, suggestions and general improvements on how we do this are welcome.  In the meantime, and with that final point in mind, I’ve put up a poll on the sidebar at right.  For no particular reason, I picked one episode for each Simpson family member.  (The numbers and letters in parentheses are that episode’s season and DVD disc.)  We can use a different set next week, repeat the ones that don’t get picked, or do something else; whatever happens, that’s a next week problem.  This week, on Thursday evening, Dave and myself  (Mad Jon’s out of the country this week, but will be along eventually) will watch whichever episode gets the most votes.

Join us here, yell at us on Twitter, or just watch them at your own damn convenience (you guys come to this site from a whole smorgasbord of time zones, so my Thursday at 8pm isn’t most of yours).  Whatever you decide, my advice is to ride it out, make an occasional smart alec quip, and before you know it, things will be back to where they started from, ready for another wacky adventure.

11 Responses to “Primetime Cartoons”

1. 1 Victor Dang
    12 August 2014 at 7:01 pm

I’m trying to decide which episode from the classic period is the worst so that I can torture you mercilessly, but besides “Marge Be Not Proud”, I can’t really think of any, besides the stuff from Season 8 & 9, but those episodes you deemed as bad are more boring, not painfully awful like “Saddlesore Galactica” from S11.

Anyways, I say for no particular reason, let’s go with Marge and her “Brush With Greatness”! As a plus, that episode will also have something to offer for the men in the audience who are fond of the company of other men.

• 2 Babel DeCarta
      12 August 2014 at 7:53 pm

What about the season six episode “Homer vs. Patty and Selma”? That episode was…well, it just was. It was just painfully mediocre and I don’t see anyone clamoring over how great it was.

2. 3 Mister Snrub
    12 August 2014 at 7:19 pm

Sounds fun, I’ll see if I can join in Thursday.

12 August 2014 at 8:57 pm

I’m not getting what you’re willing to do. Another one of those “Crazy Noises” things, but with older episodes?
    If so, then count me out. Crazy Noises was the one thing I somewhat hated on DHS, and thank god you stopped doing them. Compare & Contrast remains my favorite, but yeah, during the summer season, it’s usually blah.

• 5 Charlie Sweatpants
      12 August 2014 at 9:08 pm

I don’t think this’ll be much like Crazy Noises. There we were trying to figure out what it was that made episodes in the declining years feel off. Here we’re watching the real thing and following along. I suspect that it’ll be more like my occasional marathons, but without me needing a four hour nap after.

4. 7 Mike
    12 August 2014 at 11:01 pm

Just posting here to mention that the book has caught my attention so far. Most writing on videogames tends to be fairly abysmal, so it’s a little amusing finding something on the topic worth reading on a Simpsons website. That’s all. Keep it up.

5. 13 August 2014 at 1:33 am

Sounds fun! :D can’t wait!

6. 9 acreatureididnotknow
    13 August 2014 at 4:54 pm

You run a great site here, Charlie. Found the latest E book a really good and insightful read (and I’ve never played Tapped Out).

Look forward to this and whatever else is coming up. Any more Lies Make Baby Jesus Cry coming too?

7. 13 August 2014 at 8:42 pm

Is this happening this week (tomorrow)? Tell me it’s so.

14 August 2014 at 2:48 am

A tie between Lisa and Homer… Argh come on people, one more vote!