Aug

Saturday Marathon Open Thread

Burns' Heir12

Per IGN, here’s the schedule for the next 24 hours:

8/23 11:00 AM ET – “Burns’ Heir”
8/23 11:30 AM ET – “Sweet Seymour Skinner’s Baadasssss Song”
8/23 12:00 PM ET – “The Boy Who Knew Too Much”
8/23 12:30 PM ET – “Lady Bouvier’s Lover”
8/23 1:00 PM ET – “Secrets of a Successful Marriage”

Season 6

8/23 1:30 PM ET – “Bart of Darkness”
8/23 2:00 PM ET – “Lisa’s Rival”
8/23 2:30 PM ET – “Another Simpsons Clip Show”
8/23 3:00 PM ET – “Itchy & Scratchy Land”
8/23 3:30 PM ET – “Sideshow Bob Roberts”
8/23 4:00 PM ET – “Treehouse of Horror V”
8/23 4:30 PM ET – “Bart’s Girlfriend”
8/23 5:00 PM ET – “Lisa on Ice”
8/23 5:30 PM ET – “Homer Badman”
8/23 6:00 PM ET – “Grampa vs. Sexual Inadequacy”
8/23 6:30 PM ET – “Fear of Flying”
8/23 7:00 PM ET – “Homer the Great”
8/23 7:30 PM ET – “And Maggie Makes Three”
8/23 8:00 PM ET – “Bart’s Comet”
8/23 8:30 PM ET – “Homie the Clown”
8/23 9:00 PM ET – “Bart vs. Australia”
8/23 9:30 PM ET – “Homer vs. Patty and Selma”
8/23 10:00 PM ET – “A Star is Burns”
8/23 10:30 PM ET – “Lisa’s Wedding”
8/23 11:00 PM ET – “Two Dozen and One Greyhounds”
8/23 11:30 PM ET – “The PTA Disbands”
8/24 12:00 AM ET – “‘Round Springfield”
8/24 12:30 AM ET – “The Springfield Connection”
8/24 1:00 AM ET – “Lemon of Troy”
8/24 1:30 AM ET – “Who Shot Mr. Burns? Pt. 1″

Season 7

8/24 2:00 AM ET – “Who Shot Mr. Burns? Pt. 2″
8/24 2:30 AM ET – “Radioactive Man”
8/24 3:00 AM ET – “Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily”
8/24 3:30 AM ET – “Bart Sells His Soul”
8/24 4:00 AM ET – “Lisa the Vegetarian”
8/24 4:30 AM ET – “Treehouse of Horror VI”
8/24 5:00 AM ET – “King-Size Homer”
8/24 5:30 AM ET – “Mother Simpson”
8/24 6:00 AM ET – “Sideshow Bob’s Last Gleaming”
8/24 6:30 AM ET – “The Simpsons 138th Episode Spectacular”
8/24 7:00 AM ET – “Marge Be Not Proud”
8/24 7:30 AM ET – “Team Homer”
8/24 8:00 AM ET – “Two Bad Neighbors”
8/24 8:30 AM ET – “Scenes from the Class Struggle in Springfield”
8/24 9:00 AM ET – “Bart the Fink”
8/24 9:30 AM ET – “Lisa the Iconoclast”
8/24 10:00 AM ET – “Homer the Smithers”
8/24 10:30 AM ET – “The Day the Violence Died”

Looks like it’s gonna be a Season 6 kinda afternoon.  I will be dipping in and out on the Twitter machine, since this is the kind of event at which it excels.

10 Responses to “Saturday Marathon Open Thread”

1. 1 RaikoLives
    23 August 2014 at 3:26 pm

My Twitter feed is basically full of “everysimpsonsever” and it’ll be really interesting to see how much of it dies away, and WHEN it dies away, as the episodes reach into seasons 9, 10, 11, etc… The official stuff will keep going, but the “simpsonsselfies” and all the nostalgia will eventually dry up and people will go back to work/school/their daily lives.

• 2 Sarah J
      24 August 2014 at 2:05 am

I’m wondering how the ratings are going to fare. I won’t be surprised if they drop off quite a bit with ZS. Even people who defend ZS and say the show is still great don’t really seem to have all that much love for it. :P On that note, I’m wondering how FXX is going to air the episodes after the marathon. If the “classics” get much higher ratings than ZS episodes, would that cause them to air the former more frequently? Yet on the opposite side, the local network in my area that plays The Simpsons reruns seems to only air ZS episodes, and usually just the ones from the past few years. What’s up with that?

• 24 August 2014 at 11:25 am

Here in Ireland we have about four different channels that show regular Simpsons reruns and I’d say roughly 70% of those reruns are seasons 1-10. Of the remaining 30% I’d say 20% comes from seasons 11-16/17ish. Of HD era Simpsons it seems that only the most recent season or so ever really gets a look in. What certainly helps is that only two of those channels actually has the rights to the latest seasons (no prizes for guessing that those two channels are the property of Mr. Rupert Murdoch). Now those numbers are hardly scientific or anything, but there is definitely a disproportionate tendency towards classic Simpsons reruns over ZS.

• 4 Valerie Cunningham
      27 August 2014 at 2:39 pm

I wouldn’t count on it. While there were some posts saying that the episodes from seasons 9, 10, 11, etc sucked and they would stop watching (or pointing out that the marathon is a way of showing people when exactly the show’s quality started to fall), there are plenty more of people saying those episodes were good (not great like 1-8, but they are “better than anything else on TV”). Maybe the nostalgia will dry up by the time season 15 rolls around, but I would not count on it.

23 August 2014 at 4:29 pm

Are they at least running commercials in between?

• 6 Alec
      24 August 2014 at 12:13 am

No, why would they be? Didn’t you hear that the President of Television abolished commercials?

• 7 Monty Python Forever
        24 August 2014 at 2:01 am

It dies in season 11, with the worst episode ever, and that is not a reference to Comic Book Guy: Saddlesore Galactica. That was the day the old show died, Homer, Lisa, Comic Book Guy and Bart all zombified, the writers clearly became desperate for ideas, and humor was replaced with random shit.

Please use this as a chance to watch season 12 and do group commentaries like in the last few years, and do drunken viewings of 10 and 11.

24 August 2014 at 6:02 pm

For me the show was still watchable as far as Season 15. Then it just became so tedious I couldn’t sit through it anymore, especially when the commercials are started getting dumber and dumber.

Just to clear something out, I’m the guy who watched Family Guy up until as recently as 2012. And I’m still watching American Dad and this that’s not a bad show.

3. 10 Sarah J
    24 August 2014 at 2:00 am

I work in an employee lounge with some TVs and I convinced my supervisor to put one of them on the marathon, so I got to catch some of the episodes on and off. Really enjoying it, and was glad to see some other people enjoying it as well. I haven’t seen much classic Simpsons until recently (I started buying DVDs at the local Half-Price Books) and seeing more and more reminds me that I really forgot how funny this show was. I wish I got FXX at my apartment, I’d be watching it right now. Oh well, I’ll keep checking HPB for DVDs. It’s too bad there isn’t any streaming for people without the cable.

Bleeding Gums Murphy on Quote of the Day