Sep

“Done.” – Bart Simpson
“Bart!  You’re just pretending to know what I’m talking about!” – Lisa Simpson
“True.” – Bart Simpson
“Well, it’s very frustrating.” – Lisa Simpson
“I’ll bet.” – Bart Simpson

10 September 2014 at 6:54 pm

Just look at these legs.

2. 2 jordan
    10 September 2014 at 8:14 pm

Makes me feel old, to think about how long ago this was.

• 3 Dick Steele
      10 September 2014 at 8:34 pm

At least you got to see good Simpsons when they first aired, I’d kill for that. Please ask me to kill for you…

• 4 jordan
        11 September 2014 at 2:00 am

Oh yeah, and even years later they didn’t feel that ‘old’. Even now I’d consider it fresh until seeing that picture.
        But the chicken legs don’t lie.

Seems like I should be remembering the onion I wore on my belt, as was the style at the time, it was that long ago.

11 September 2014 at 5:10 pm

Doze legs doe.

• 6 torbiecat
          12 September 2014 at 3:52 pm

I had that Cartooning with the Simpsons book when I was younger (and I could have sworn I still have it, but a quick search of my apartment says otherwise), and one of the pages mentions how the Simpsons have elbows and knees. While the book has an older copyright than I had thought, 1993, it was pretty obvious that it was published after Klasky-Csupo had been ousted.

The chicken legs and rubbery limbs of Klasky-Csupo’s era have a certain charm.

3. 8 jordan
    11 September 2014 at 2:02 am

There’s something so Berenstain Bears-looking about the drawing/animation here.
    I really do miss that special something. That sparkle.
    The over realistic digitization just lacks something.

• 9 Frank
      12 September 2014 at 11:19 am

same here – that’s why these Pixar Animation movies don’t impress me – I mean the stories are great, but there’s something about the old-style animation.

For me, i think it has to do with the fact that I grew up with the old-style, so that technique kinda “imprinted” on me, with no other style being acceptable.

I’d be curious to know what people think 40-50 years from now, when there will likely be a completely different and new animation style. Will they long for the good-ol-days of Pixar and CGI?

• 12 September 2014 at 12:09 pm

Pixar’s animation style in itself is ok. What gets me is the endless parade of copycats that have come since that first Toy Story and the stodgy mess of generic CGI that has resulted. It just signifies everything that’s awful about the film industry. I can almost imagine a situation (probably repeated over and over ad nauseum) where a guy pitches an idea for an animated film, well thought out, well written and integrated with a distinct vision for how it will look, only for some film exec to cut them off asking “is it CGI? Because the kids, they simply won’t watch it unless it’s CGI”. Cut to two months later, the film, hastily completed in full CGI featuring a twee Katy Perry knock off theme song and Seth Rogan playing the role of a sentient fart, releases to huge box office success. Meanwhile the orignial pitch guy, disgusted at the cynicism of the industry which bastardized his vision, throws himself off a bridge into a frigid river.

Anonymous on Homeronymus Bosch