Nov

New Kid on the Block22

“That man ate all our shrimp!  And two plastic lobsters!” – Fryin’ Dutchman Teenager
“‘Tis no man, ’tis a remorseless eating machine.  Argh.” – Captain McAllister

12 November 2014 at 12:10 pm

The correct spelling is McCallister. “McAllister” was apparently invented by alt.tv.simpsons/SNPP and the misspelling stuck. I don’t know why this bothers me, as it’s hard to find a more trivial detail about the show.

• 2 Victor Dang
      12 November 2014 at 1:19 pm

Interesting, got a cite for that? Official script scan or something? I’m very curious about this (being one of those people who spelled it “McAllister” before).

• 3 Anonymous
        13 November 2014 at 12:45 am

Captain McCallister figure. Even though the item name says McAllister, note the blue sticker on the box says McCallister.

It’s also spelled McCallister in The Simpsons: A Complete Guide to Our Favorite Family and other official books based on the series.

Other than that, I don’t have much, and Charlie has said he doesn’t care. I’ll stop caring someday.

• 4 Victor Dang
          13 November 2014 at 10:43 am

Cool, thanks for the info. I was expecting some kind of script scan, but this is as good an official source as any. I can see how people might confuse the /-k-Ka/ sound for a merger into just a /ka/ sound, though.

• 13 November 2014 at 2:42 pm

The thing is I’m pretty sure McCallister is merely a bastardisation of McAllister anyway, seeing as Allister is a fairly common Scottish first name (McAllister means “son of Allister”) while Callister isn’t a first name at all as far as I can tell.

• 6 torbiecat
              13 November 2014 at 11:04 pm

I keep thinking that at some point the “MacAllister” variant was also used in/on official material for the Sea Captain’s name, too, but I might be misremembering things.

Marge on Quote of the Day
Steamed Vaans on *Triple* Secret Makeup Quote o…
Steamed Vaans on Double Secret Makeup Quote of…
Steamed Vaans on Quote of the Day