Jan

Team Homer14

“Ah, these uniforms are a godsend.  Horseplay is down forty percent, youthful exuberance has been cut in half, high spirits are at an all time low.” – Principal Skinner

1. 1 RaikoLives
    7 January 2015 at 9:30 am

So. Many. Great. Lines.

Skinner – “I love that sound.”

Moleman – “Oh no. My brains.”

Homer – “I gotta go, my damn wiener kids are listening.”

Smithers – “I’ve got a much uglier word for it sir. Misappropriation.”

Burns – “Well, that’s leprosy for you.”

Skinner – “Oh dear god! Mother’s in the park!”

Great episode. One of the all-time classics.

• 2 torbiecat
      7 January 2015 at 1:49 pm

I love Otto’s ordeal with getting the lobster harmonica out of the claw machine. I always bust up laughing when he excitedly picks up the harmonica out of the wrecked heap of the machine and blows on the harmonica as he runs off.

• 3 Salace Ni-Chan
        7 January 2015 at 2:24 pm

I thought Otto was getting a Harvard diploma (which was also in the machine. Do Yalies and Princetonites write for The Simpsons?). He could have had both since the machine broke.

• 4 Victor Dang
          7 January 2015 at 5:39 pm

Not exactly, I think all he picked up was the harmonica. I guess he didn’t need the diploma when he rejoined the team (unofficially) after Burnsie left.

• 5 torbiecat
            7 January 2015 at 10:47 pm

Otto was getting the harmonica to begin with, tried for the diploma shortly after he was booted off of the team, but supposedly was going after the harmonica again at the end of the episode considering that that’s what he picked up from the pile after he accidentally wrecked the machine.

• 6 torbiecat
              7 January 2015 at 10:57 pm

Oh, and you can actually see the diploma in the wrecked pile, too, so we know for certain that Otto nor nobody got during an off-screen moment.

2. 7 Victor Dang
    7 January 2015 at 12:47 pm

Just rewatched this episode, and lots of great lines as said above, but I also enjoyed the bowling chants and how they were able to extricate humor from it and not make it “générique”: http://web.archive.org/web/20140822101338/http://www.snpp.com/episodes/3F10.html

– The Otto support chant that got it rollin’: “You can do it, Otto! You can do it, Otto! Help each other out: that’ll be our motto!” “You can do it, Otto! You can do it, Otto!” “[Apu:] Make this spare; I’ll give you free gelato!” “[Moe:] Then back to my place, where I will get you blotto!” “[Homer:] Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto!”
    – “Go, Moe! Go, Moe! Don’t make Homer shout out ‘D’oh’!”
    – “Come on, Homer! Come on, Homer! Pretend this is baseball and hit us a homer!”

Also just watched the unsyndicated/uncut version for the… first time, I think? There’s quite a bit of funny scenes I didn’t remember seeing, and, according to the (MIA?) SNPP, were the ones that got cut in syndication! http://web.archive.org/web/20140824161035/http://snpp.com/episodes/scg-7.txt Stuff like Homer’s “The all ighty ollar?”, Willie coming in with “Mr. Boy” and “Mr. Boy for Girls” crates, Burn’s “boweling” scene, and the biggest scene being with Snake and the “Springfield Police Framers” (the funniest cut scene of all). Real shame that last one got cut!

Another thing of note: this episode [3F10] shares two executive producers, David Mirkin, and Oakley & Weinstein. Mere holdover, or done during the transition state?

• 8 Victor Dang
      7 January 2015 at 12:56 pm

Also noticed that Scully wrote this episode as well… guess we can add this to the “good episodes” pile that Scully wrote, “Lisa On Ice” being among the first IIRC. Or maybe the heavy lifting was done by Kirkland directing, or the other writers? Ah well, kudos to Scully, this is a great episode regardless.

• 9 Salace Ni-Chan
        7 January 2015 at 2:32 pm

I find it odd that people hate(d) Mike Scully’s written episodes before he was the showrunner (I understand if they hate the episodes he did when he was executive producer from seasons 9 to 12, but prior to that, The Simpsons was not yet zombified, but it did start to get a little sitcomy instead of being a sitcom parody). “Team Homer” is hilarious and “Lisa on Ice” is worth it for the jokes/one-liners (Ralph’s classic “Me fail English? That’s unpossible”; Chief Wiggum telling his team that they’re not getting pizza because he blew the money betting on the other team; Marge somehow getting Milhouse’s teeth; Principal Skinner laughing at Bart getting emasculated by Lisa) and the heartwarming climax of Lisa and Bart throwing the game, which soon leads to everyone rioting.

• 7 January 2015 at 11:03 pm

Scully also wrote Two Dozen and One Greyhounds, probably one of the most meta episodes of the classic era – an episode that makes absolutely no sense and delights in every second of it (“Look at you – standing there on your hind legs like a couple of Rory Calhouns!”) Those tend to be extremely divisive. And he also wrote Marge Be Not Proud, which we all know how Charlie feels about that one.

• 12 Victor Dang
        7 January 2015 at 5:37 pm

Thanks for the info! I was wondering why SNPP wasn’t working these past few months. Good to see they’re still up, even if it’s through an alternate-URL fashion.

• 7 January 2015 at 7:54 pm

No problemo :) I like that page a lot too

12 January 2015 at 9:52 am

Listen here, Dang, I know what you’re up to. Your anonymous username switching may have fooled the others, but not me.

For I am Stan, the greatest comment or of all time. I say I’m the greatest because not only do I post my long winded opinions in one post, I add to them in new comments several times.

I suggest you stop this trolling, Dang, or else I may comment on your posts more than once.

• 15 torbiecat
      7 January 2015 at 2:02 pm

That “boweling” cut is one of those clumsy cuts in that there’s a later call-back to this scene which wasn’t cut in syndication.

• 16 Victor Dang
        7 January 2015 at 8:50 pm

Wow, there was a call-back to this joke later on? I must have missed this when I watched this ep. this morning. Where’s this located?

• 17 torbiecat
          7 January 2015 at 10:53 pm

Burns remarks that he hasn’t felt that energized since his last boweling just after Homer and Smithers express surprise that Burns wants join Homer’s team. I suppose this callback sometimes gets overlooked considering how it is not the primary point of Burns’ response.

• 18 torbiecat
      7 January 2015 at 2:03 pm

Well, judging by the production code and the fact that this is the twelfth episode to air in the season, I wouldn’t categorize this episode as a holdover. Usually, I define a holdover as an episode aired during a later season than it was produced and officially being denoted as such due to its production code. Just for the sake of being pedantic, I wouldn’t type a back-burner concept as a “holdover” even though I can see how the term seems to apply to that particular idea.

But, I think you might be on to something about this episode being created during a transition state.

Zombie Sweatpants on Hey, Everybody! Zombie Simpson…
Bleeding Unprofitabl… on Hey, Everybody! Zombie Simpson…
Red sus on Quote of the Day