Jan

Sunday, Cruddy Sunday3

“Counterfeit?” – Homer Simpson
“Yeah, see the hologram’s missing, and there’s no such team as the Spungos, and, finally, these seem to be printed on some sort of cracker.” – Super Bowl Ticket Guy
“Stop eating our tickets!” – Homer Simpson

1. 31 January 2015 at 12:10 pm

With all the counterfeit Super Bowl ticket stories on the news these past few weeks, this quote has been popping into my head quite a lot.

2. 31 January 2015 at 12:57 pm

That guy was one of the worst one-off characters. A kind of proto-Gil.

31 January 2015 at 3:36 pm

You really didn’t like Wally Kogen? He’s like the most quotable character ever. I bet you hate Homer, too, because you obviously don’t like funny things.

• 10 Anonymous
      31 January 2015 at 5:54 pm

Ehh, this was Season 10, and Gil was introduced in Season 9. Proto-Gil seems more fitting for Frank Ormand, but at least he had the decency to die off mid-episode.

31 January 2015 at 8:11 pm

Really? I thought I saw Gil in Season 6 or so. Of course, that character zombied out much faster than many others, getting tedious by as early as Season 12-13.

• 12 Anonymous
          31 January 2015 at 9:23 pm

Nah, Gil’s first appearance was in Season 9, during Realty Bites: http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Gil_Gunderson#Appearances

And I would definitely say that Frank Ormand in Season 8 is a Proto-Gil, Charlie and co. have even said as such: https://deadhomersociety.com/2009/07/15/crazy-noises-the-twisted-world-of-marge-simpson/

• 1 February 2015 at 6:28 pm

Cheerfully withdrawn! I didn’t check dates or anything (obviously), but you could lift poor old Wally out and replace him with Gil and it wouldn’t affect the episode at all.

1 February 2015 at 7:36 pm

Too bad we never saw that ‘cowboy’ who sold Homer his first RV in Season 1 ever again…

• 15 torbiecat
                1 February 2015 at 10:06 pm

I don’t know if you’re being glib or not, but Cowboy Bob was in a Season 16 episode (and he didn’t have the comically big ears in this episode, either. Evidentally, Dan voiced him in this episode, not Albert Brooks. I think I haven’t seen this episode, so I can’t comment too much on it.

3 February 2015 at 5:07 pm

Season 16? Seriously? Anyone actually remembers what happened in Season 16?
                  And I’m not being ‘glib’, I just come to remember something memorable from the show, and Season 1 is much more memorable to me than Season 16.

• 17 torbiecat
                    4 February 2015 at 12:29 pm

It’s just hard to pick up on someone’s tone in writing at times, so I wasn’t fully certain about your response. But, yeah, I agree with you about not remembering much from season 16. I know saw a couple of those episodes, and I’d be damned to remember much about them.

• 18 torbiecat
              1 February 2015 at 9:59 pm

Even though I agree with you in principle, I’m glad Gil wasn’t in this episode. It was bad enough without him. His woe-is-me-shtick really gets on my nerves. I didn’t mind him too much in his first appearance (I think Lionel Hutz really helped off-set him), and Gil really should have been a one-off character.

• 19 acreatureididnotknow
                4 February 2015 at 11:59 am

Yeah, I’d agree with all of that. I quite liked Gil in his first appearance (and he had the odd good line: “The wolves are at ol’ Gil’s door!), but that was it. I didn’t’t mean Gil would have been an improvement, so much as they’re both as bad as each other.

• 31 January 2015 at 10:59 pm

There’s a few good ones here and there. I still bust out “Really? ‘Cause I’m a travel agent and I’ve heard nothing but bad things” whenever someone says they’re going to Disneyland.

Anonymous on Makeup Quote of the Day