Feb

Leonard Nimoy Boldly Goes

Nimoy

“Well, my work is done here.” – Leonard Nimoy
“What do you mean, ‘Your work is done’?  You didn’t do anything.” – Barney
“Didn’t I?” – Leonard Nimoy

The sad news today is that Leonard Nimoy, repeat Simpsons (and Futurama) guest voice, accomplished photographer, dispenser of vocal wisdom, bard of Bilbo, Shatner-putter-upper-with, and, of course, the one true Spock, died this morning.  He was 83, and you can read his full obituary here.  The best I can say about him is that he did what he told everyone else to do: lived long and prospered.

In other news, there isn’t going to be a Reading Digest this week because winter finally caught up with me and I’ve been too sick to do much beyond move back and forth between bed and couch since Tuesday.  Sorry for the late notice, but I haven’t been able to prop myself in front of a computer for more than about thirty minutes at a stretch all week.

If your weekend is going to involve as much sedentary teevee watching as mine, may I make the following Nimoy-related suggestions:

“Marge vs. the Monorail”
“The Springfield Files”
Futurama – “Space Pilot 3000”
Futurama – “Where No Fan Has Gone Before”
Star Trek – “The Galileo Seven” (<- Nimoy saves everyone)
Star Trek – “Mirror, Mirror” (<- Evil goatee Nimoy)
Star Trek – “Amok Time” (<- This one sucks except for the fight, which that link will take you right to.)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (<- Spock dies, sniffle)
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
(<- Directed by Nimoy, and he gets to play a comic straight man)
Star Trek: The Next Generation – “Unification I & II”

Or you could just play Civ IV.  Feel free to leave any more suggestions in the comments.

[Edited to add: Transformers: The Movie.  How the hell did I forget he voiced Galvatron (the even more evil rebuild of Megatron) in the only Transformers movie that doesn’t suck?]

27 Responses to “Leonard Nimoy Boldly Goes”

27 February 2015 at 5:06 pm

Keep watching the skies. RIP

• 2 Patty Cash
      27 February 2015 at 8:36 pm

You mean “skis”?

And, yes, that’s what I immediately thought when I heard the news. Well, that and the wave of dyed-in-the-wool classic Trekkies who are as devastated about this as they are when they heard about the reboot that had Zachary Quinto as Spock.

27 February 2015 at 10:21 pm

They have to stop rebooting shit. It’s getting frustrated. Yes, I get that there are things we didn’t know about younger Kirk & Spock traveling together, but fuck it, that’s nothing a simple series spin off like Gotham wouldn’t have fixed.

• 4 RaikoLives
          28 February 2015 at 8:26 am

I don’t care about them rebooting shit, I just want actual good movies. Not the utter dross that was Star Trek: Into Darkness, all the new Transformers, TMNT, etc. If you reboot but have nothing original to say, then fuck off back to advertisements.

28 February 2015 at 3:54 pm

The only ONE good reboot film I’ve seen in the latter years, besides Nolan’s Batman trilogy of course (which wasn’t hard to make after Batman & Robin has left the franchise in a dumpster), was the 2014 RoboCop. And I mean it because most of today’s reboots of GOOD movies stick out like ass garbage (Solaris, Total Recall, Man of Steel), but this one not only didn’t, it actually made the original stick out in the same way.

• 6 Charlie Sweatpants
            1 March 2015 at 4:39 pm

“ot the utter dross that was Star Trek: Into Darkness”

Best not to get me started on that movie, but by far the best scene in it was the one where Nimoy sadly recounted the events of the original. That’s how bad of a remake it is.

2. 7 D.N.
    27 February 2015 at 10:30 pm

Really effing sad over this news. Still, it was not unexpected, and Nimoy did have a good innings.

To the Nimoy-a-thon, I would also add the 1978 version of “Invasion of the Body Snatchers,” Nimoy’s best big-screen villain role (well, apart from Galvatron, obviously).

3. 8 Victor Dang
    27 February 2015 at 11:25 pm

Well, even though I am sad about this news, I can’t really say it’s a tragic loss. After all, he did live quite a prosperous life, and quite a long one, exceeding the current average lifespan. Almost… a long and prosperous life, if you will.

Also, holy hot pope, he was in the (superior) 1978 remake of “Invasion of the Body Snatchers”?! I seriously didn’t know that. I gotta watch that movie sometime.

• 9 D.N.
      28 February 2015 at 12:16 am

You really should watch that film, it’s great. In many ways, Nimoy’s character in it is more of an “Evil Spock” than the goateed Spock of “Mirror, Mirror” (who wasn’t really evil as much as he was ruthlessly pragmatic).

(Apropos of this website, the 1978 “Invasion of the Body-Snatchers” features three Simpsons guest-stars: Nimoy, Donald Sutherland, and Jeff Goldblum.)

I feel like I should mention that I unashamedly and non-ironically love “Transformers: The Movie.” Partially because of nostalgia – it was the first film I saw in the cinema after moving to Australia in 1986 – but I also think it’s a genuinely great movie (although I’ve seen it way too many times to have any kind of objectivity about it). Nimoy is fantastic as Galvatron.

I also love “Star Trek III: The Search for Spock,” which I think was generally well-liked until it got retroactively shoe-horned into the “odd-numbered ST films suck” paradigm (which was put to bed once everyone realised the tenth film was shit). The second-to-fourth ST films make a fantastic trilogy.

• 10 RaikoLives
        28 February 2015 at 8:35 am

Transformers: The Movie is a bloody amazing piece of animation and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. So good it was the instant “go to” for the Optimus/Megatron fight in the first of the Bay-formers movies, and with a trillion dollars, 20 years of technology AND making it the actual climax of a whole film, they still couldn’t create a more thrilling and emotional moment than the cartoon did.

28 February 2015 at 4:00 pm

How can you call “good” a movie which is made out of children’s toys and they cram in all the “aliens invading out galaxy” shit for some reason? It’s like producing a movie about yo-yos in which the universe is at stake and some guy must learn to yo-yo otherwise everyone’s caput.
          And wasn’t that “Optimus” character in Gundam instead?

• 12 D.N.
            28 February 2015 at 10:11 pm

What the hell are you talking about???

1 March 2015 at 1:28 am

“Transformers (トランスフォーマー Toransufōmā?) is an entertainment franchise produced by American Hasbro and Japanese Takara Tomy toy companies.”

Any questions?
              I myself have one, actually: how retarded must you be to go see a movie based on toys?

• 14 D.N.
                1 March 2015 at 1:46 am

Firstly, I know the pretext of the Transformers franchise. I just found your writing somewhat garbled.

Secondly, I was five years old when I went to see “Transformers: The Movie.” I’m sorry that I wasn’t attending Kurosawa or Truffaut retrospectives at that age.

And thirdly, I’d rather go see a movie based on toys than be the kind of person who uses the word “retarded” as an insult.

1 March 2015 at 3:12 am

Ahahah they’ve made a movie about it in 1986… holy shit! Nineteen eighty fucking six!!
                  And here I was thinking that Shia LeBoeuf’s face was only good for this sorta flicks lol
                  “Retarded” isn’t an insult. It’s an evolution of the current American society.

4. 16 Joshua
    28 February 2015 at 12:18 am

All of Nimoys guest spots on The Simpsons and Futurama are hilarious. He was a very funny actor, when he was allowed to be.

• 17 D.N.
      28 February 2015 at 1:07 am

Nimoy was often quite funny on “Star Trek,” with Spock’s deadpan rejoinders to Dr McCoy (to say nothing of his straight-man schtick to Kirk in the fourth ST film). But yeah, he indeed kicked comedic ass on The Simpsons and Futurama.

Like fellow ST alum William Shatner and Patrick Stewart, Nimoy proved more than capable of nailing comedic guest-spots written by people with obvious affection for him and his work. And it’s pretty amazing that Nimoy’s immortal turn on “Marge vs. the Monorail” only came to pass because George Takei dropped out of the guest-spot for that episode.

• 18 Patty Cash
        28 February 2015 at 2:34 am

Didn’t the producers want Shatner to be in “Marge vs. The Monorail” after Takei said no (because he advocated public transportation and didn’t want to appear on anything that satirized it, even though “Marge and the Monorail,” in my eyes, made fun of how towns blow public money on inane projects like the monorail, the Popsicle stick skyscraper, and the escalator to nowhere instead of spending it on stuff that matters, like better schools, more firefighters, and fixing cracked and potholed streets) but changed their mind because Shatner turned them down before (or is that a rumor)?

• 19 D.N.
          28 February 2015 at 4:23 am

From Wiki:

“Leonard Nimoy was not originally considered for the role as the celebrity at the maiden voyage of the monorail, as the writing staff did not think he would accept, because William Shatner had previously turned the show down. Instead, George Takei was asked to guest star as he had appeared on the show once before. After demanding several script changes, Takei declined, saying he did not want to make fun of public transportation as he was a member of the board of directors of the Southern California Rapid Transit District. As a result, the staff went to Nimoy, who accepted.”

• 20 RaikoLives
            28 February 2015 at 8:30 am

So, to clarify, Shatner had said no, but to previous roles, not the one in the monorail episode. This made Nimoy the third Trek actor to be asked and the first to actually appear. I wonder how Takei’s role would have gone had he been in it? I don’t think Takei/”Sulu” would work if you just put him in, word for word. Would have been quite different, at least in tone, I think.

• 21 D.N.
              28 February 2015 at 10:40 am

“This made Nimoy the third Trek actor to be asked and the first to actually appear.”

The first Trek actor to appear as himself, yes, but not the first Trek actor to appear (that would be Takei as the sushi waiter in season 2’s “One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish”).

5. 1 March 2015 at 10:48 am

Also the Guardian has an excellent article on Leonard Nimoy’s appearance on the Simpsons (The Springfield Files, 1998) though I forgot if they mentioned hr also appeared in the monorail episode as himself as well and maybe that crazy doctor/scientist that Professor Farnsworth many might be based on.

Also Charlie get better soon, see a doctor, get antibiotics, take garlic/water/Vitamin C/tea/lemon tea and as a hardcore PC (and console gamer) I am playing System Shock 2, Morrowind again and last Civ game was Civ 1 I played back in the 90’s, have to catch up!

6. 7 March 2015 at 6:45 am

No importa la situación económica o personal por la sola inversión de 500, enviados a 3 millones, mientras que Twitter
    se está iniciando como al experto o al profesional. La mayoría de una campaña de posicionamiento SEO y vendes productos
    o servicios. El reto que tienen dichas redes es click here que ni tu cebo red está hecha específicamente para
    atraer sostenible, a diferencia de un destino.

Charlie Sweatpants on Quote of the Day