Mar

Sunday Preview: Sky Police

sky-police-promo-2-126194

Chief Wiggum is mistakenly delivered a military jet pack, which he gleefully accepts and uses in order to fight crime. But when the jet pack crashes into the church, the congregation, led by Marge, must resort to gambling and counting cards in order to collect money to repair the church.

If Gerry Cooney doesn’t have a cameo in this I am going to be upset.  I’d say “This could be a whole new beginning for Springfield”, but I’d be a bald-faced liar.

28 Responses to “Sunday Preview: Sky Police”

1. 1 Victor Dang
    8 March 2015 at 5:25 pm

Ahh… this is the “jet pack + Wiggum” episode mentioned in the comments a few weeks ago. Even then I was just confused, but I’ve been waiting for this to come out of morbid curiosity.

And yeah… you can sort of tell from that description they haven’t cared about maintaining the reality of Springfield in a long time. The rubber-band has snapped long ago.

8 March 2015 at 5:38 pm

Wiggum using a jetpack is a 30 second long side gag. You don’t make a whole fucking episode out of it.

3. 4 Bleeding Gums Murphy
    8 March 2015 at 5:43 pm

So they’re gonna rehash “$pringfield” now.
    I wonder when are they gonna rehash “Who Shot Mr. Burns” and “Two Bad Neighbors”.

• 8 March 2015 at 6:38 pm

It also kind of sounds like that one episode where Mr. Burns bought the church.

• 6 Victor Dang
        8 March 2015 at 7:25 pm

That was “She of Little Faith” I believe… which btw is pretty much an inferior rehash of “Lisa the Vegetarian”, IMO.

• 7 Sarah J
      8 March 2015 at 7:10 pm

I think the “Nedna” thing was their attempt to recapture the hype of “Who Shot Mr. Burns?”, but obviously that wasn’t successful.

• 8 Bleeding Gums Murphy
        8 March 2015 at 9:55 pm

Yes, but I wasn’t referring to the hype (which “Nedna” copied in a craptacular way), and/or cliffhanger. I was talking about Burns going too far. Or a two-episode story.

• 9 Patty Cash
      8 March 2015 at 8:47 pm

“Two Bad Neighbors” doesn’t seem like an episode they’d rehash because they’re not into political satire anymore (though they did bring back George H.W. Bush for a quick gag at the end of the season nine episode “Realty Bites”). As someone mentioned before, they tried to rehash “Who Shot Mr. Burns” with the “Will Ned Flanders and Edna Krabappel Get Together” contest with little to no success.

But next week’s episode (“Waiting For Duffman”) does rehash “Duffless” and “Ol’ Yeller Belly”…

• 10 Bleeding Gums Murphy
        8 March 2015 at 10:08 pm

I hasn’t listened to the whole DVD commentary for “Two Bad Neighbors”, but at the beginning Oakley and Weinstein said they didn’t want to make the whole episode an exercise of political satire (although they clearly mocked Bush the Elder). Which is true, the episode is more a meta-commentary about the show and society’s reaction of it, with Bart as 1996’s Dennis the Menace

Which is a little dissapointing, because by the third act the story is reduced to “Homer and Bart vs. Bush”. Granted, the storytelling is smooth and as good as earlier episodes, and the action and violence is very quick. But they didn’t use any other character at all. What about the women? Lisa has only a line about Bush, and Marge doesn’t react (which is strange, Marge can be highly political and energetic when she has a goal in mind). What about the Flanders? The Republican supporters, like Burns, Krusty or Sideshow Bob? And why Barbara didn’t say anything against Bart’s schemes in the entire episode?

Although making Homer fight against and ex-president is remarkable, for a non-Zombie episode.

So what about making Bush the Younger another neighbor of Evergreen Terrace? With no political satire at all and just pure Jerkass Homer? Sure, that’s what we all expect, right? RIGHT?

• 11 FireFlower
        9 March 2015 at 11:13 am

These days their idea of political satire is fat jokes about Chris Christie.

• 14 Bleeding Gums Murphy
      8 March 2015 at 6:21 pm

I knew about that play.
      I’m talking about Zombie Simpsons rehashing those episodes.

4. 8 March 2015 at 8:08 pm

So how about that Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt? Netflix has been killing it with the original comedy series between this, Bojack Horseman, and the new seasons of Trailer Park Boys.

• 16 Victor Dang
      8 March 2015 at 9:32 pm

I am honestly “meh” on Netflix’s “original programming” overall, even though I know that it is contributing to the slow death of broadcast television via the internet. The revival of “Arrested Development” caught my attention, and so did the US remake of “House of Cards”, but everything after that? Just one big, messy blur of … “meh”.

• 17 Patty Cash
        9 March 2015 at 10:02 am

Same here, but Bojack Horseman is actually pretty good.

• 9 March 2015 at 5:37 pm

I understand a lot of people not liking Bojack Horseman after the first episode but it is definitely one of those stick with it I swear it gets awesome shows.

• 19 Sarah J
          9 March 2015 at 7:20 pm

Yeah, surprisingly good show, I love it. Personally I’m a huge fan of Orange is the New Black, though it’s more of a dramedy than a straight up comedy.

5. 20 ecco6t9
    8 March 2015 at 8:29 pm

So are they going to kiss Elon Musk’s ass again and claim he is the inventor of it?

6. 8 March 2015 at 8:30 pm

Just turned in late after watching an episode of Broad City I had on the DVR and they got Tina Belcher to voice a Casino manager? What a fucking waste of a guest voice, not that the guy who voices Tina Belcher is a household name, but the he clearly has comedic chops not being used.

• 22 Patty Cash
      8 March 2015 at 8:43 pm

On “Broad City” or “The Simpsons”?

• 8 March 2015 at 10:18 pm

Simpsons. Apparently it was a bait and switch and the episode was about Marge counting cards or some shit. Also just got done watching a Sleater-Kinney animated video featuring the kids from Bob’s Burgers. That is pretty sweet!
        The Broad City episode I watched had Jeaneane Garofalo officiating over a dog wedding.

9 March 2015 at 1:28 am

Why are you keep watching that shit? You know you’re contributing to the bad ratings, right?

• 9 March 2015 at 3:04 am

I caught the last three minutes before Brooklyn Nine Nine. Honestly this season has broke me with three episodes – The Simpsons Guy, Simpsonrama, and The Man Who Came to be Dinner. I use to never miss an episode of ZS out of morbid curiosity but for the first time ever I have missed several episodes intentionally. I have seen the abyss of how shitty ZS can be and it looked back.

9 March 2015 at 4:18 am

Those three eps you mention (one being FG btw), they really weren’t worth it, were they? Don’t let those fuckers buy you, boycott the show. Please.

7. 27 Joe H
    9 March 2015 at 4:32 pm

The casino manager was a complete waste of a guest voice. Should have just had someone on the usual staff do it.

• 28 Sarah J
      13 March 2015 at 12:05 am

Zombie Simpsons has a guest voice pretty much every episode. I don’t know if the network forces it or what, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case. Most of the guest stars are completely pointless, being characters that don’t seem to be written for the guest voice or having brief, out of nowhere cameos that don’t add anything. They’re clearly much more of an afterthought. For all of the usual ZS problems that were in the infamous Lady Gaga episode, at least that one actually USED their guest star.