Mar

So Long, Sam Simon

SayonaraSam

“You’re a comedy writer?  My God, you’re so old!” – Roger Meyers Jr.
“I want my check!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson
“Haha, you’re a writer alright!” – Roger Meyers Jr.

Sam Simon, one of the three godfathers of The Simpsons, died today at the age of 59.  It was almost exactly two years ago that he announced that he had been diagnosed with cancer, and from that moment until his death today he handled it with grace, generosity, and, befitting Simon, a lot of humor.  They gave him three-to-six months; he lasted nearly two and a half years, laughing about it all the way.

The tributes to him are pouring in from people who knew him and those who just knew his work.  I’ll only say this, the show he did so much to create treated life and death with a mirthful contempt that resonated with hundreds of millions of people throughout the world.  He’s gone, but he’ll still be making people smile for a long time to come.

Sayonara, Sam.

27 Responses to “So Long, Sam Simon”

1. 1 calonordic
    9 March 2015 at 7:10 pm

Well said.

2. 2 Joshua
    9 March 2015 at 7:26 pm

One of the cornerstone creators of the Simpsons has left us.
    Sad that he had to go this way but he sure as hell made the made the best of it.
    S’Long, Sam!

3. 3 Victor Dang
    9 March 2015 at 7:38 pm

Awww crap, another one bites the dust, and so quickly after Leonard Nimoy? Now I really am sad. Sayonara, Sam “Sayonara” Simon!

9 March 2015 at 7:50 pm

The rotten Western society built on chemical byproducts feeds shit to people, and then all of them miraculously find out that they have cancer. Billions of dollars spend on “research” mean nothing. Fat slobby morons.

5. 8 FireFlower
    9 March 2015 at 8:05 pm

Thank you, Sam Simon. Thanks for creating one of the best TV shows ever….too bad they did not know when to end it.

6. 9 Bleeding Gums Murphy
    9 March 2015 at 8:09 pm

Someone please buy a 500$ of Sam Simon’s vinyl and take it to a radio station.

• 10 Anonymous
      9 March 2015 at 8:23 pm

Preferably KJAZZ. With a broadcasting range of 23 feet, they’re the most powerful jazz station in the US!

7. 9 March 2015 at 8:21 pm

What a great life, career and man btw.

8. 13 Frank
    9 March 2015 at 10:13 pm

rest in peace, Sam. Condolences to all your loved ones

9. 9 March 2015 at 10:48 pm

You certainly made the show worthwhile, Sam. May you now receive due credit for your contributions.

10. 15 Dick Steele
    9 March 2015 at 11:51 pm

Goodnight, sweet prince

11. 16 Patty Cash
    10 March 2015 at 2:46 am

At least he won’t be alive to see how far the show continues to fall…even though he had nothing to do with the show after season 3 (but his name was still in the credits).

Speaking of which, are they going to remove his name from the credits or slap on Al Jean’s? They did it before when Matt Groening distanced himself from “A Star is Burns”.

10 March 2015 at 5:16 am

Farewell, Sam. Take a long rest on that fluffy new cloud recliner of yours, you’ve earned it. And thank you for giving so much of yourself over the years.

The only good thing about Zombie Simpsons is that it made him rich and enabled him to donate millions of dollars to good causes for animals and humans alike.

• 18 Bleeding Gums Murphy
      10 March 2015 at 12:45 pm

>new cloud recliner of yours
      Cloud goes up, cloud goes down. Cloud goes up, cloud goes down. Cloud goes up, cloud goes down.

13. 20 Maims Hell Brooks
    10 March 2015 at 10:07 am

I’ve always loved this drawing/scene. Sam Simon is the one on the far right, with the cigar in his mouth.

• 21 Victor Dang
      10 March 2015 at 4:31 pm

Well damn, I always thought that was George Meyer, or Jon Vitti. Though I like how even back then he was (tryin’ to) livin’ it up rich (or at least the Season 4 staff depicted him that way from the lawsuit thingy).

Anyways, once again, RIP, cigars in heaven w/ cloud recliners and all that. Let’s hope Sir John Swartzwelder nor the two mentioned above don’t trade cigars with him soon.

• 22 torbiecat
        10 March 2015 at 5:56 pm

George Meyer is the man at the computer, and that’s actually his first caricature in the series. The other one has him with shorter, lighter-colored hair, glasses, and a bucket hat.

Jon Vitti was actually in “The Front,” too. He’s the man that gets hit in the forehead with Roger Meyer, Jr.’s nameplate.

• 23 Patty Cash
      11 March 2015 at 6:21 am

I thought that was Mike Reiss. I know Al Jean is the one with the glasses, John Swartzwelder is the one eating the doughnut who looks like David Crosby (in fact, a good rule of thumb in watching old episodes is “If you see a man who looks like David Crosby [and it’s not established to be him, since Marge in Chains actually had him on there in a brief scene], it’s John Swartzwelder.”), George Meyer is the one by the computer, and…I don’t know who the blond with the coffee pot is. I was told it was Jim Reardon.

• 24 A Hee Hee Hee
        11 March 2015 at 8:05 am

To be honest, I always thought it was Mr. Bergstrom.

• 26 torbiecat
        11 March 2015 at 9:06 am

Mike Reiss was actually cut out of the above picture. If you see the full screenshot, he’s to the right of everyone else.

Also, you can tell John Swartzwelder and David Crosby apart by their hair (both facial hair and what grows on the scalp). To be fair, I was confused as to why David Crosby was in so many episodes myself when I was a child. [I actually knew who David Crosby was because my mother is a huge Crosby, Stills, and Nash (and Young) fan.]

And I had to look Jim Reardon up, too. When I saw that he was the writer of “Homer’s Barbershop Quartet,” I was like, “Ah, so he was the staff who was the huge fan of The Beatles.” I knew that someone on-staff was, but wasn’t one of the names you heard thrown around much despite having a huge role early in the series.

14. 10 March 2015 at 3:49 pm

“The entertainment world lost a great man yesterday, Sam Simon. I first met Sam in 2006, when I narrated “The Bitter Half” radio drama that Sam wrote and produced for The Howard Stern Show on Sirius XM. Sam was one of the original developers of “The Simpsons.” I had the good fortune to appear in several episodes of this phenomenally popular animated series. Without Sam, the characters of Homer, Marge, Bart, and Lisa would not have had the humor and heart we all came to know and love. Thank you for sharing your talent with us, Sam. May you rest in peace.” George Takei via Facebook

Anonymous on Makeup Quote of the Day
Marge on Quote of the Day
Steamed Vaans on *Triple* Secret Makeup Quote o…
Steamed Vaans on Double Secret Makeup Quote of…
Steamed Vaans on Quote of the Day