Mar

Old Money8

“By the way, old timer, I do wills.  Why don’t I just give you this pen with my phone number on it?  It looks just like a cigar!  Isn’t that something?” – Lionel Hutz

1. 1 Santos L. Halper
    23 March 2015 at 2:20 pm

I remember, as a kid, being teary eyed, when that Simon & Garfunkle-esque song was playing at the end of “Lady Bouvier’s Lover”….the lyrics were just so sad. Same with “Old Money” when Bea (I was surprised to later find out it was Alice from the Honeymooners’ voice…it was so hoarse) passed away and Grampa’s left heart-broken.

Other sad Grampa moments for me include Bart telling Marge to “take a message” when she tells him Grampa is on the phone and wants to wish him a ‘happy birthday’. And the exploded kidneys episode — that was just harsh.

Abraham is truly a tragic character in my opinion. I can only imagine if The Simpsons were to ‘kill him off’ (not sure if even Zombie Simpsons would stoop that low) how rough that would be for some fans.

• 2 Frank
      23 March 2015 at 2:46 pm

Tragic character indeed.
      Though he was a jerk when he was younger; still, that’s a form of tragedy

• 3 acreatureididnotknow
      23 March 2015 at 3:04 pm

I’m cold, and there are wolves after me.

• 4 Patty Cash
      24 March 2015 at 11:19 am

Have you ever listen to the lyrics of the song that played at the end of “Lady Bouvier’s Lover”? It goes with how much of a useless loser Grampa is. The lyrics go:

Hello, Grampa, my old friend
      Your busy day is at an end
      Your exploits have been sad and boring
      They tell a tale that’s worth ignoring
      When you’re alone
      The words of your story
      Will echo down the rest home hall
      ‘Cuz no one at all
      Can stand the sound of Grampa

Now, I know the writers were trying to be funny and were parodying “The Graduate” (the actual song is called “The Sound of Silence,” which was in the movie. I recommend seeing “The Graduate,” but only if you can take it seriously after seeing all the parodies and stories that rip off the famous “stop the wedding” ending), but, considering how Grampa and the other elderly characters are treated (including Hans Moleman, who’s actually 31 and only looks old because he has severe alcoholism), yes, this is very sad and harsh.

I hope the Simpsons writers grow old and get ignored and screwed over just as badly. They might already be due to how shitty the current Simpsons episodes are, so, I guess it’s win-win?

• 24 March 2015 at 11:31 am

Jeebus, I never even paid attention to the credits for that episode. Seeing them transcribed is actually somewhat depressing.

• 6 Rem
        27 March 2015 at 9:59 am

Bear in mind that episode aired 21 years ago and almost none of the staff from them are still around.

• 27 March 2015 at 10:29 am

Al Jean is, but I don’t think he had anything to do with this episode. Unless he wrote it, which I may just not be remembering, but I don’t think he did.

27 March 2015 at 10:38 pm

Jean is like that nerdy fat kid everyone laughs at in school, only to find him some 20 years later as having built a successful career and shitting over the small folk quite constantly.

27 March 2015 at 10:36 pm

Remember the times when you didn’t have to watch the original piece this show was parodying in order to laugh at the jokes? I do, because 99% of the times I didn’t see the original material and didn’t even bother. And honestly, “hello Darkness, my old friend” sounds somewhat creepy.

• 10 Brad M
      24 March 2015 at 7:39 pm

Zombie Simpsons stooped lower than I ever expected them to when his eyes fell out.

2. 23 March 2015 at 4:54 pm

What’s with Grampa’s forehead here?

25 March 2015 at 5:24 pm

Anyone else watching Better Call Saul, then?

AMAZON RECIEPTS on Quote of the Day