Mar

A Fish Called Selma15

“Selma, Jub-Jub is fantastic! He’s everywhere you wanna be!” – Troy McClure

Sorry this went up late.

1. 24 March 2015 at 6:04 pm

Probably one of my favorite McClure quotes.

2. 2 Patty Cash
    24 March 2015 at 7:18 pm

How long do iguanas usually live? Because I notice he’s not in the later episodes…I think this may be his last episode.

• 24 March 2015 at 7:27 pm

I think we’ve seen him once or twice since. But then again, I don’t think people die based on age in Springfield (coughcouchMR. BURNScoughcough).

25 March 2015 at 3:06 am

I think you’re taking cartoon pets a tad too seriously.

• 5 Patty Cash
          25 March 2015 at 8:09 pm

Maybe I am, but so does everyone who watches “The Simpsons” because “The Simpsons” is/was supposed to be a tad more realistic than most animated shows out there. But no. Like a favorite relative with Alzheimer’s or some overrated Hollywood celebrity with a small name and a big ego, the show has lost its grip on reality long ago.

26 March 2015 at 3:50 am

I’ve always found King of The Hill to be much more realistic than The Simpsons. Well, yeah, it’s not Futurama level “realistic”, but still many characters were overly exaggerated in their design. Notably, Troy McClure. It’s like 4-5 actors stereotyped in one guy.

• 7 A.M.
              29 March 2015 at 2:20 pm

I don’t think it’s fair to directly compare the two, but you’re goddamn right.

King of the Hill was amazing at making real people into characters (although they admittedly eventually stretched them to borderline-cartoony limits, but never crossed the line). The Simpsons was awesome at taking caricatures and stereotypes and spinning them into fully fledged characters. It’s an apples and oranges thing, sure, but King of the Hill still deserves props for what it was.

Honestly, I think that’s why it’s doomed to be forever underrated. The show never really bothered to sell itself – they managed to do episodes like Bobby possibly being the Dalai Lama without losing track of their reality. God, that show was great.