Mar

Bart Gets an Elephant9

“Alright, I’ll be back in the morning to pick up Stampy.” – Mr. Blackheart
“Here’s the keys.” – Homer Simpson
“Elephants don’t have keys.” – Mr. Blackheart
“I’ll just keep these, then.” – Homer Simpson

1. 31 March 2015 at 8:45 am

Originally, there was a padlock on Stampy’s chain, but they deliberately removed it when they realized it’d make this line make sense.

I feel like this was the first truly meta episode of the series. The whining on the Internet had begun at this point, and this episode is so deliberately stupid, I can’t help but feel the writers were poking fun at the fans who wanted more realism and accuracy by pushing the show as dumb as it could go just for the hell of it. Sort of laid the groundwork for The Principal and the Pauper and Saddlesore Galactica.

• 2 Anonymous
      31 March 2015 at 9:27 am

Homers Enemy! Don’t forget Homer’s Enemy.

“That’s our Homer!”

• 3 Tom S. Fox
      31 March 2015 at 1:34 pm

Please, the whining on the Internet began much earlier than that: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.tv.simpsons/49CRjzKj0AM/qMurL2GE4JcJ

• 4 Arthur Crandel
        31 March 2015 at 2:21 pm

….wow.

31 March 2015 at 4:40 pm

It’s a fake. Everyone knows Google was created in 1998. In fact, there was no “internet” until 1996, the democrats invented that word only so US folk don’t fear The Bear’s return.

• 6 Patty Cash
          1 April 2015 at 1:05 pm

Whatever, weirdo.

And I agree with jbwarner86. This episode (and “Homer Loves Flanders”) pretty much mocked fan’s expectations of the show before “Homer’s Enemy,” “Principal and the Pauper,” and “Saddlesore Galactica” did the same.

1 April 2015 at 5:56 pm

“Whatever, weirdo.”

Hey Patty, wanna know something? I’ve never called you out and never treated you like shit. You’re not at home, ‘kay?

• 8 Patty Cash
              1 April 2015 at 9:10 pm

I wouldn’t want you in my house anyway. Your very existence is a plague on humanity, much like this overrated piece of trash you and your blog buddies call “The Simpsons.” You snatch air from asthmatic children, your bloated gullet consumes food better spent on the hungry, this blog consumes electricity that could have powered a dialysis machine or even something like a vacuum cleaner and it would have done more good.

And with that I say, “I fuckin’ give up on all of it.” (hawks and spits in your face)

• 2 April 2015 at 8:06 am

“Homer’s Enemy” and “The Principal And The Pauper” mocked our expectations, but “Saddlesore Galactica” crapped them all over us. What a dumb episode that was.

• 11 Victor Dang
      1 April 2015 at 8:04 pm

I’m pretty sure the Simpsons went meta quite a bit longer before this aired.

RE: meta, this episode: I can’t really see where you got that idea from. Sure, the episode’s premise and quite a bit of its gags are pretty wacky (and stupid), but I think “Burns’ Heir” and “Homer Goes to College” is far wackier. And frankly, I think that better applies to the entirety of Season 5 as a whole. I don’t really think “internet comments” really had that much of an effect on a slight-change-in-direction, either; remember, it was still primarily Usenet-based around this time and we hadn’t quite crossed the line into HTML territory at this point, either.

No, I think the change primarily came from a few sources: Conan O’Brien staying over from Season 4 when the majority of Season 4 staff left, his signing onto Season 4 causing it to have quite more wacky “rubber-band reality” gags than previous seasons, and a new showrunner in the form of David Mirkin who was down with the wacky side of things. And thus, the wackiness blossomed.

1 April 2015 at 10:24 pm

I deliberately watched The Simpsons til Dancin’ Homer in Season 2. Then switched off mid-episode when Moe was talking. Seriously, jokes that make me pause the watch and google every second word, weird batshit humor, too common stereorypes (like Burns banning Homer for life from the outings – that’s cruel btw)… Like, I’ve seen another facet of this show I didn’t see before. And honestly… Fuck you, America. This isn’t funny.
        I also hate Canada, for the record, although it keeps me on Aspergers support. Europe will prevail. You are all its bitches.

• 13 acreatureididnotknow
          2 April 2015 at 4:42 am

Ramblings of a maniac.

• 14 torbiecat
          2 April 2015 at 5:04 pm

I can’t even remember what it was that Moe said in the middle of that episode. Then again, Dancin’ Homer is easily the weakest episode of the second season, so some of its gags don’t stick in my mind and I find myself not going out of my way to re-watch it like many other Season 2 episodes.

• 15 Angelm Young
            8 April 2015 at 10:03 am

A lot of season two was weak, but for every weak episode like “War of the Simpsons” or the aforementioned “Dancin’ Homer”, there were strong ones (both comedically and dramatically) like “Blood Feud”, “Three Men and A Comic Book”, “Bart the Daredevil”, “Bart Gets an F”, the one where Homer thinks he’s going to die from fugu, and the one where Mr. Burns runs for governor.

• 16 torbiecat
              8 April 2015 at 5:27 pm

Season 2 actually is my favorite season. My two absolute most favorite episodes are from this season: “Two Cars in Every Garage and Three Eyes on Every Fish” (the episode where Mr. Burns runs for governor) and “Brush with Greatness.” But, yeah, I agree with you that “War of the Simpsons” is weak–I would actually place it just above “Dancin’ Homer” in list that ranks Season 2 from best to worst.

• 17 torbiecat
      2 April 2015 at 4:59 pm

As much as people like to mock the fans who had posted on Usenet, I’m learning more and more that my tastes are more like theirs than that of a lot of other classic era fans–I find myself liking how down-to-earth the first three seasons were and how nuanced the characters were, and that there was a certain sort of intellect that was lost after the fourth season. Mind you, I do think that there were instances of certain users of being incredibly ungrateful and not really grasping the effort that the writers once did and amount of talent the writers had. I can see why the writers were frustrated with this subset of fans.

Ryan on Quote of the Day