Apr

So It Has Come to This7

“Mrs. Simpson, I’m afraid your husband is dead.” – Dr. Hibbert
“Oh!” – Marge Simpson
“April fool’s!  He’s very much alive.  Although I’m afraid he may never walk again.” – Dr. Hibbert

1 April 2015 at 11:23 am

I wish he was really dead back then, so the show wouldn’t have become such shit.

1 April 2015 at 11:24 am

April Fools’! In fact I don’t.

• 3 Patty Cash
      1 April 2015 at 8:59 pm

According to the DVD commentary for season eight’s “The Old Man and the Lisa,” the writers said that they should have ended the show after that episode because the ending implied that Homer died of a massive fifth heart attack after Lisa tells him that she turned down 12 million bucks instead of 12,000 from Mr. Burns.

1 April 2015 at 10:13 pm

Nah, he should have perished in that coma after opening the overshaken beer can Bart had put in the fridge.

• 5 torbiecat
          2 April 2015 at 4:43 pm

For a while, I thought that the final episode should show that Homer actually died from his heart attack in Mr. Burns’ office.

2. 6 Dick Steele
    2 April 2015 at 12:52 am

I can’t remember where or when or what exactly it was, and I’m too lazy to look it up, BUT, Matt Groening once said (rather early on I believe) something about the show ending where everyone gets killed or some sort of other big middle finger anarchist finale. (I don’t hate the idea)

My bet is that ZS and ultimately The Simpsons whimpers out in a safe, cutesy “oh well isn’t that all just so very very very special and neatly wrapped up” ending. We can also bet that it will pay some sort of awkwardly-packaged homage(s) to past episodes. It will die presented in cold, lifeless digital “animation”, having become what it mocked, a shell of it’s former glory. A mountain of ZS is not worth a grain of Simpsons.

I wonder if Al Jean still ever stops by here. He knows what we are saying is more or less true, although I bet his opinions aren’t as positioned as ours – except it should be because he ought to have a morality about the quality of what he is producing (Al Jean as a conduit meaning anyone with some sort of fundamental accountability in the show). I feel like we have become Marge in “Itchy and Scratchy and Marge” writing to I&S Studios except Itchy & Scratchy was actually funny.

• 2 April 2015 at 10:09 am

In that analogy, Al Jean and the other writers are the guy doodling Marge as a whiny squirrel and chuckling “Hee hee, I’m so funny!”

• 8 torbiecat
      2 April 2015 at 4:50 pm

Yeah, at one point in the show’s history, they could had pulled off the “everyone dies” finale without it seeming batshit insane. Easily enough, there could had been an actual core meltdown at the plant or everyone could had received radiation poisioning, and it wouldn’t seem contrived, either.

But yeah, the current ending is either going to be twee as fuck or cruel for the sake of being cruel.

• 2 April 2015 at 5:54 pm

Even in the classic era, I don’t think they would have been able to make an “everybody dies” ending satisfying. It would probably be funny, but it would ultimately be cruel overall.

Bleeding Gums Murphy on Quote of the Day