Apr

The Joy of Sect14

“I guess it’s back to good, old fashioned voodoo.” – Moe
“Whoa, I need a drink!” – Barney
“Come with me.” – Moe

1. 2 April 2015 at 8:03 am

Strong contender for my favourite episode. :) It was already high in my favour before the guest appearance of “Rover” from “The Prisoner” sealed the deal…

• 2 Captain Wacky
      2 April 2015 at 9:56 am

I appreciate this episode for getting me into The Prisoner.

• 3 Quincy Cumberland
        3 April 2015 at 8:26 pm

How come people praise season 12’s “The Computer Wore Menace Shoes” for getting them into “The Prisoner” and not this, which, yes, did have a bizarre plot, but didn’t go screaming off the deep end and felt like something Golden Age Simpsons would do (the whole satire on cults and religion).

Did you know this was originally going to be about Lisa joining the Church or Scientology, but, unlike Trey Parker and Matt Stone, the Simpsons writers were actually scared of pissing them off (and driving away Nancy Cartwright)? Okay, maybe it wasn’t this episode, but, somewhere online, there is a list of rejected Simpsons episode ideas (like a crossover with the early 1990s drama “Thirtysomething,” an episode about racism called “Homer vs. Dr. Hibbert on the Issue of Race,” another where the big, bald mental patient who thought he was Michael Jackson now thinks he’s Prince and wants everyone to be sexually liberated, and a version of “Homer’s Phobia” called “Lisa Goes to Camp” where it’s pretty much the same episode, only John Waters’ character isn’t in it and there’s no deer-hunting third act) and the “Lisa joins Scientology” episode is included.

4 April 2015 at 12:47 am

“The Computer Wore Menace Shoes” had a koala wearing a mask. Your argument is invalid.

• 4 April 2015 at 10:05 am

I’m glad that they didn’t go with “Lisa joins Scientology” angle. It’s not because I would take offense at any potshots towards Scientology (trust me–I wouldn’t), but I’d think that Lisa would find a lot of their views repugnant and probably would not join them unless someone dear to her made appeals to see otherwise.

• 6 Victor Dang
          4 April 2015 at 7:59 pm

Do you have a cite for that “Lisa Joins Scientology” origin? I’ve never heard of that until know, and as far as I know, all David Mirkin wanted to do was to tackle cults in general (so enthusiastic he was that he actually retook the showrunner helm for this episode). I also echo what torbiecat said above as well.

But frankly, I don’t think this would’ve been in Mirkin’s earliest draft for this episode, either. It doesn’t exactly congeal with the original goals he had in mind.

2. 2 April 2015 at 8:07 am

The guy behind Moe looks like a distant cousin of the Just-Stamp-The-Ticket guy.

Charlie Sweatpants on Quote of the Day