Apr

The Trouble With Trillions5

“Let’s see, cash register ink, well, that’s a business expense isn’t it?  But then, I do enjoy the smell of the stuff, don’t I?  Better not risk it.” – Ned Flanders

1. 1 Victor Dang
    5 April 2015 at 10:42 pm

Oh wow… did you just do something to the side of the site recently, Charlie? It feels… so different, somehow… like you did a reconfiguration of the sidebar, almost like a sidebar redesign, if you will…

(I am praying you don’t decide to change this site’s entire theme all of a sudden and put in some crappy Web 2.0 theme in place, I likes it how it is now!)

• 2 Victor Dang
      5 April 2015 at 11:02 pm

And getting back to the topic of the post (the episode… in question), I just rewatched it today and I pretty much agree with your opinions. A great, strong start (could helm any classic Simpson episode IMO, diffs in animation aside) until the point where Homer remembers to do his taxes, because really, like you said, no way Marge wouldn’t have take care of that already.

Also, not quite feeble and kind-hearted yet, but Wacky Burns here sux. It’s sort of funny to think about here, but you know how in good episodes good jokes not only get made but also get called back later and lead to more good jokes? I like to think that instead, you’ve got poor characterization here (Marge not taking care of taxes) that leads to even further poor characterization later! Specifically, the family getting interviewed by the FBI agents stateside which leads Marge to believe the trillion dollars is theirs and Lisa wanting dune buggies instead of investing for college … they all feel like empty props for uncharacteristic jokes rather than real characters.

And that “spicy meatball” joke is terrible (in spite of its randomness-aspect).

6 April 2015 at 12:08 am

Holy fuck! Someone actually knows I exist!!!!

• 4 Victor Dang
          7 April 2015 at 10:23 am

?

7 April 2015 at 12:50 pm

I’ll rephrase. After drinking two pints of beer laced with rum, I have just found out that a new feature was added in the right pane, showing the latest comment writers. As a result, half of those comments were mine, so I felt that someone had underlined my existence. That’s pretty much it.
            Also, autists shouldn’t drink. But what you gonna do…

• 6 Victor Dang
              7 April 2015 at 9:36 pm

I see. Well, alcohol and cognition rarely mix well together like a good Manhattan made by Bart, so I understand.

No need to call yourself autist just because you made a few bad posts. We’ve all made a few bad posts sometimes. Why, back in my day, I made a bad post and tied it to my belt, which was the style at the time…

7 April 2015 at 9:42 pm

It’s funny, because with that “Mob has spoken” thing on the right, I feel like I’m part of the ‘DHS community’ (if such exists, of course) and kinda feel bad for shitting on others. I rarely live the day to see such things without getting banned from websites for multiple reasons, but Charlie’s patience, which seems to be like molasses in January, kinda gives me that hope.

• 8 Cute... but evil
      6 April 2015 at 7:12 pm

I wonder why they stopped linking to Me Blog Write Good? Maybe it’s because it hasn’t been updated for more than a year, but it was such a good read that I’m sad it’s not linked to anymore. I would never have found that blog if it hadn’t been for DHS.

• 9 torbiecat
        6 April 2015 at 8:52 pm

I’ve noticed that, too. Mike’s still listed as a Loyal Stonecutter and some of his entries on this blog link to Me Blog Write Good, but yeah, no direct link.

6 April 2015 at 9:45 pm

Isn’t Mike Amato dead or something?

• 11 torbiecat
            7 April 2015 at 2:35 am

I haven’t gotten the foggiest. Considering that he “completed” his Simpsons-related blog, I know that it doesn’t get updated anymore.

I’ve noticed that The Simpsons Historical Society (or whatever it was called) isn’t on the sidebar anymore, either. Shame that that blog stopped updating because there was plenty more that could had been added to it.

And was the No Homers Club on sidebar prior to the update? I could had sworn it wasn’t, but I might be wrong about that.

• 12 Victor Dang
              7 April 2015 at 10:48 am

I don’t believe NoHomers was on the sidebar prior to the update. And archaeological evidence confirms it: http://web.archive.org/web/20150129232435/https://deadhomersociety.com/

But I’ve no idea what happened to that young, feisty dude. His last post was in 26 October 2013, when he put up the last post for the Animation Alley ToH stuff, for VI. Really wish he would’ve done one more for the next one, VII, since that’s the last uniformly good one (at least, judging by the (lack of) Crazy Noises for it).

• 13 torbiecat
                7 April 2015 at 12:35 pm

I was going to check The Wayback Machine to see if No Homers was on here, but I think either ADHD or sleep-deprivation made me forget do so before I had last commented. I guess I misrembered No Homers not being on here. (I also now remember that the other blog I brought up was named The Springfield Historical Society. )

I could had sworn Mike responded to a comment of mine a couple months ago on his blog, but if so, I forget what entry it was on.

8 April 2015 at 5:28 pm

Just read some of it myself, and indeed, would’ve been nice to see it kept updated. JS.

6 April 2015 at 12:09 am

Yup. Fill those tax returns like a boss, get 5000 bucks worth return.
    Btw Happy Easter-related non-religious holiday!

7 April 2015 at 12:54 pm

Honestly, drunk people shouldn’t be allowed two things: driving and visiting the internet. But since Charlie doesn’t ban (and I’m not even sure it’s possible on a website where you just punch your name in and knock yourself out) – here I am, humiliating myself. Meh.

The Artist Formerly… on Quote of the Day
Bleeding Gums Murphy on Quote of the Day
Bleeding Gums Murphy on Quote of the Day
David Abell on Quote of the Day
Anonymous on Behind Us Forever: Springfield…