Apr

The PTA Disbands17

“Ow! My bones are so brittle, but I always drink plenty of . . . Malk?” – Bart Simpson

Happy 20th Anniversary to “The PTA Disbands”! Original airdate 16 April 1995.

16 April 2015 at 9:36 am

Such a perfect Simpsons episode… Just in its Golden era. Can’t believe it’s been two whole decades already!

2. 2 Victor Dang
    16 April 2015 at 10:39 am

Ah ha, a classic joke. One I still remember even from watching this as a kid.

Vitamin R!!

3. 4 Lunchlady Doris
    16 April 2015 at 11:11 am

There’s very little meat in these gym mats.

And…

4. 8 Bleeding Gums Murphy
    16 April 2015 at 11:53 am

Meh, pretty weak episode. Not a fan of the booby trap joke (I mean, yeah… Marge accepts it as a normal thing but come on… how did Bart put that wood trunk there? He would have needed dozens of kids to help him…). But it’s funnier than the usual Season 7 episode.

• 9 Joe
      16 April 2015 at 12:06 pm

I thought that joke worked just because it was quick and absurd, and establishes (in a comedically over-the-top fashion) the lengths Bart was going to get rid of the substitute teachers. Although, I can see the angle you’re coming from, it is a bit absurd.

• 10 Anonymous
      16 April 2015 at 12:49 pm

I was gonna debate your Season 7 contention, but looking over your… criticism of the booby-trap joke, I think you are simply overthinking things.

Man, if you didn’t like this episode, then I don’t wanna know what you thought about Itchy & Scratchy: The Movie back in Season 4…

• 11 Bleeding Gums Murphy
        16 April 2015 at 3:54 pm

“Itchy & Scratchy: The Movie” is a fine episode. Yeah, Homer’s actitude towards Bart is different than in other episodes, but by Season 4 Homer wasn’t the authoritarian, angry dad he was in Season 1 and parts of 2. I can accept characters having some changes in actitude when they doesn’t go too far (example: incompetent Burns is fine for “Homer the Smithers”, but it isn’t in “The Old Man and the Lisa”). The jokes are great, the pacing is great, everything is great, and it fits well with the rest of the season.

“The PTA Disbands!” is a fine episode too… but it’s weak by Season 6 standards. Which means it actually rocks, I like it and I rewatch it a lot. I just find it to be weaker than earlier episodes, with a story that doesn’t evolve that well (or isn’t as interesting).

Granted, the booby trap joke actually WORKS for many, many, many reasons, which is why I don’t hate it (I even laugh at it), but it requires assuming Bart could put a tree trunk in the ceiling, which I personally find it to be too far. Then again, this is real Simpsons after all, so the joke is quick, it has sense, it’s multilayered, it isn’t over explained, and it serves a purpose for the overall story. But the trunk is heavy.

Does that have some sense for you?

• 12 Ryan
      16 April 2015 at 11:40 pm

lol do you even like this show

fucking autist

5. 15 Mr. Incognito
    16 April 2015 at 9:24 pm

This episode is a bit off for Season 6 and my tastes, but it’s still well worth watching. Having a degree in physics, I always get a kick out of “In this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!”

“The Itchy and Scratchy Movie” is also fun. Homer effectively disciplines Bart but does it in a Homer-esque way, first being indifferent to Bart’s actions up until one of his other children was put into danger by Bart not caring, then not letting up long after any punishment was effective. (He’s slow that way, or at least that’s how I see it).

And a slight update in renewal news: Erika Isabel Vega’s Twitter account (@eiVega) is has ceased to be. I guess Fox doesn’t want details regarding the renewal (or lack thereof) leaking out. It could mean that talks failed and we’re finally nearing the end, it could mean that Erika didn’t want a bunch of inadvertent tweets going her way, it could mean that the show may be making a move to FXX (hence further pay cuts) it could mean that there will be more pay cuts and the show will continue to “go on,” but it probably means that there will be more pay cuts and that the show will “go on.”

6. 16 youngandmattproductions
    18 April 2015 at 2:55 am

The only thing I don’t like about this episode is the title. Why is it called “The PTA Disbands” when it’s about a teacher’s strike? “Oh, they just used it for that one scene where the strike negotiations fall through and the guy freaks out and jumps out the window.” That’s true, but I really hate it when TV writers use titles that have nothing to do with the story.

Bleeding Gums Murphy on Quote of the Day