Apr

Bart Gets Hit By a Car15

“Your honor, my client has instructed me to remind the court how rich and important he is; and that he is not like other men.” – Blue Haired Lawyer
“I should be able to run over as many kids as I want!” – C.M. Burns

1. 1 calonordic
    21 April 2015 at 12:08 pm

I originally posted this on Me Blog Write Good:

This episode was good but I felt that the ending of it was just completely out of the blue & was just, well, unrealistically sappy, especially with the things Homer was calling her in his head just a moment ago.

Honestly I feel this should’ve been a 2 parter where Homer doesn’t forgive Marge & she walks out of Moe’s while saying something along the lines of this: “That’s fine. If you care more about money than your own wife & kids, so be it! Homer J. Simpson, I hate you & want nothing more to do with a selfish man like yourself. Goodbye!”

My hypothetical 2nd parter would deal with Homer being at work all day while getting plastered at Moe’s afterward, still bitter at what Marge did, only getting home late & letting it go to shit while in the process, being neglectful to Bart, Lisa & Maggie while also giving some rather horrendous advice such as telling Bart & Lisa to be careful when he grows up to avoid women like Marge & that he sincerely hopes Lisa doesn’t turn out to be a woman like her, respectively. As a result of all this neglect affecting Bart & Lisa at school, Principal Skinner calls child welfare services who pick them up after seeing the dreaded conditions they’ve been living in for some time & bring them into the custody of Marge who’s now currently living with Patty & Selma. One thing happens after another until eventually. Homer gets to a point when he realizes that his greed resulted in him losing everything that truly mattered to him. Near the end of the episode, Homer takes his first steps to amend his relationship with Marge so that they can live together once again as a family.

• 2 NOT Dustin Hoffman
      21 April 2015 at 1:15 pm

Interesting post, but Wow that would’ve been dark, to me the entire point of Homer is to the outside world he is an irredeemable buffoon who is selfish and vile, but his family knows better and he does actually deserve the love he gets as despite his flaws, he is a man who wears his heart in his sleeve and is actually a good husband and father. I still think “Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I don’t understand” is the cruellest thing pre Jerk-ass Homer has ever said and him saying and doing worse things to his children would’ve been too much.

If they had done something similar though, I do think a mere two-parter would have been too shallow to wrap this idea up, that could have been a season long arc. I always wondered if The Simpsons could pull off a genuine season long arc and seeing South Park do a semi season long arc with the Randy is Lorde story, I think The Simpsons could have done one in it’s prime, hell the show is so bad now they might as well just experiment and see if anything could work and do season long arc’s or have it permanently set in the future, or just integrate the Futurama characters into the show, a motivated Matt Groening might care enough to get the quality to a respectable level.

• 4 Leon Kapowski
      21 April 2015 at 2:18 pm

Interesting post indeed, and I like it and think it could/could’ve work/worked. However, I’m not sure if Marge would do something as leave the kids behind with Homer (who she’d accuse of being selfish, etc) and move in with her sisters…she would’ve brought them with her like she did in that gun control/NRA episode. But then again, we wouldn’t have the scenario you made about Homer giving Bart and Lisa “rather horrendous advice” and that would just be plain nutty.

Plus, would Homer and Marge simply separate temporarily or just up and get a divorce? Because even in the real world something like your wife costing you millions of dollars in a court case, or in anything for that matter, would be more than enough reason to initiate a divorce. Also, and perhaps I’m nitpicking — and if so, do forgive me — you mentioned that the neglect of Bart and Lisa would cause them to suffer at school. I can see that happening with both kids, but Bart has always been crappy at school, unless you were thinking of something along the lines of him being severely depressed and withdrawn, etc.

• 5 calonordic
        21 April 2015 at 6:41 pm

You have a point on how Marge would leave the kids with Homer; I wasn’t really thinking about what would happen to them. Still, perhaps Marge manages to gain joint custody which is increased to full when they’re taken out of Homer’s care & put under hers while such a conversation with the horrendous advice would occur during one of the many visitations they have with him.

I never had Bart being depressed in mind, though, but now that you mention it, it would make sense since he could easily blame himself for everything that happened & wanting things to go back to the way they were.

Also, it would feel kinda weird that everything would be hunky-dory by the end of the second part & this would work out better as a seasonal arc instead.

• 6 Leon Kapowski
          22 April 2015 at 9:21 am

Very nice. I actually can’t believe I didn’t think of the possibility of joint custody, haha. That would make more sense.

Bart blaming himself for what’s happened didn’t cross my mind either and also would make sense. Hell, they’ve even done episodes like that if I’m not mistaken.

And considering what the Simpsons has morphed into now, that seasonal arc would be a good series finale. Another one, that someone had commented on here some time ago, would be that Homer wakes up from a coma after taking that insane fall for Bart when he tries to jump Springfield Gorge, and everything from that episode up until now would’ve been all in his head. But then that would end up negating some of the really good episodes. But whatever….I’m just going to move my desk this way now.

• 22 April 2015 at 12:13 pm

Love Me Blog Write Good and you should write scripts in a classic Simpsons fashion, copyright them and submit them to FOX.

2. 9 Vivian Wallace
    21 April 2015 at 1:31 pm

Episodes like this is why I don’t care much for season 2 of this show. That being said, the beginning of the episode and Lionel Hutz’s introduction were pretty funny.

• 10 torbiecat
      24 April 2015 at 11:52 am

While I’m someone who immensely enjoys Season 2, I do think that the ending of this episode is goofy. We can thank James Brooks for that.

21 April 2015 at 2:28 pm

Y’all can be so silly with your over-analyses of Season 2 episodes. I’d rather take something from Season 2 than anything post-Season 11.

4. 22 April 2015 at 5:38 am

Hi there, this wsekend is good in support of me, because this occasion i
    am reading this wonderful educational piece of writing here at my house.

Ryan on Quote of the Day